Official 2010 FART Rally thread

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Official 2010 FART Rally thread

Post by Rich Maund » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Folks

We have not set a date for the FART Rally in Asheville NC in October yet.

Normally it is the second weekend in October.

The leaves then are usually just starting to change nice at the higher altitudes. Very nice, but not at their peak yet. If you go there later in the month though you have problems with many more tourists there. (Not Ural Tourists either.) Also, as you get further into October, the weather can be wild. Eiether wildly nice or wildly terrible! We brought a small heater for our tent last year and that worked out really well that night it went down to freezing! Very nice that even tent sites have 110v there.

As usual I believe we should keep running it out of the Asheville East KOA. They have always treated us well there and they have very good facilities. Tent spaces with electricity, camping cabins for rent, and RV spots too. So you can come and camp just about any way you like. There are good motels down the road close by too like the old Super 8 if you prefer a real room.

My vote would be to go the second weekend in Oct. as usual.

Any discussion?

We'll bring a 10 x 10 shelter and some baked goods to share in the mornings. The camp serves up a simple basic breakfast there that is pretty good too.
At least one couple always gets a cabin near the bathhouse. Then we make that "Rally central" to build the camp fire at and hang out in the evenings.

Will this weekend work for everyone?
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

mayrel
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Official 2010 FART Rally thread

Post by mayrel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Howdy Rich and Donna,
The second week of October is fine with us. Soon as you can firm up dates, we'll try and get a cabin also. Let us know what we can bring. I know you mentioned cooking is on camp stoves only, but we could still do a couple of pots of chili or soup of some sort; just a suggestion. But heading out for meals is fine too.
We really are looking forward to this gathering; great bunch of folks all around!! John and Joy

bayourick
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by bayourick » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:19 am

Darn it I won't be there till the 15th. I guess I will get to visit Bural then
The journey is the destination

Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Bural » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Only problem with the 8th-10th is it might be too early for the leaves. Of course, it all depends on the weather. Either weekend is fine with us.
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 sold
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

BobM
Party Member
Party Member

Post by BobM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:05 am

Rich, it was good to meet you at the BURP rally. I look forward to this one. I and my two sons will be there, one riding in the hack and the other on his Ninja. As soon as the date is finalized, we'll make reservations. Anything special we should bring? We'll be arriving early afternoon on Saturday. I hope you can arrange for a beautiful N.C. Fall weekend!!

Bob :)
BobM
Knoxville, TN
2013 Ural Tourist
2004 Suzuki Burgman 400

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Folks

We've had a while here for folks to speak up on dates. Looks like the second weekend will be good for most.

The FART Rally will be the weekend of 8-10 October at the Asheville East KOA in Asheville NC!

tubarick
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by tubarick » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 pm

I can make it. I hope to have my rig up and running by then.
Рик Гаптилл
2009 Ural T
2003 BMW R1150RT
2003 Ural M81030 650 2WD

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 am

Folks

Good news! Glenn Hamilton, a very long time Ural guy, has jumped in to head this up. He's one of the guys who started the rally I believe back in the 90's. He started the original Russian Iron Board too. He lives in Black Mountain just up from the rally site so he is local and knows the area way better than I do.
He tells me he is thinking about a big pot of home made Borscht for Saturday evening. So Saturday we'll have dinner around the camp fire. And after he gets a head count, he'll make sure the german restaurant is ready for us Friday evening.
He has already reserved a camping cabin and a tent spot near the lake bath house to be rally central. We'll set up the camp fire at the empty tent spot so they'll be plenty of room for everyone there.

I will be making our own reservations later today.

Thank you Glenn!!

By the way. In the past Donna and I have brought our home made Biscotti to share out during morning coffee. We plan to do that again this year. And we'll bring our 10 x 10 pop up canopy and a spare large tarp to set up just in case we wind up needing rain cover. That pop up canopy has been good luck for us. Last year we set it up and the rain stopped for the rest of the rally. So we'll bring it for good luck.

BobM
Party Member
Party Member

Post by BobM » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Glenn/Rich,

I guess it's never too early to plan. I've just made reservations at the Asheville East KOA. My two sons (both adult) and I will be at tent site D-4. Due to work schedules, we will be arriving Saturday, Oct. 9 (probably around noon) and leaving Sunday. I'll be driving the Ural with one son in the hack and my other son will be on a 2-wheeler (probably his Ninja). We look forward to seeing everyone there.

Bob :)
BobM
Knoxville, TN
2013 Ural Tourist
2004 Suzuki Burgman 400

bayourick
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by bayourick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:47 pm

I may have to re schedule to make this one
The journey is the destination

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:38 pm

It'll be great to see you all there. Its always a great get together. The KOA is a beautiful spot in it's own right with two ponds to admire while you're there. The sun rise over the mountains and eastern pond are really something!

Oldtimer
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Oldtimer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:11 am

It's about 700 miles east of the TURD rally the weekend before. Sounds doable to me. Now maybe I can talk Charlie into it but you know how he likes to stay home and not travel much. :lol: When he reads there is a big pot of stew brewing on Sat night though, he may decide to go. Ok, just talked to Charlie. It's a go. :clap: BTW, Rich, we met at the Ron De Vuu a few years back and you reupholsterd the side car on my 76 BMW with black leather and white pinstriping if you remember. :cheers:
Barry
2003 BMW GS 650
2013 Honda CRF 250 dual srport
2012 Vespa 150LX
2008 Yamaha XT 225
2015 Ural CT
1966 Triumph Bonneville
2014 Suzuki DR 650
Longview, TX

Rib Eye Steak Ride
http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... steak+ride

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Oldtimer

I remember that seat job! I actually built all the upholstery pieces in vinyl first to ensure they'd fit right before using those bits as patterns to make from the leather. Expensive stuff there. Had to make sure it wasn't going to be wasted on a bad part!

It'll be great seeing you all there. With any luck we'll have an enclosed trailer to bring our rig down there with! (Too far to ride for us in just one day each way.)

tubarick

Post by tubarick » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi all,

Had to remove the engine for clutch work. I decided to get a real paint job (no more gray Rustoleum), but the shop wants me to dismantle the bike. No problem, I put it together, I can take it apart and do it again! I fully intend to have it ready by Oct.
Рик Гаптилл
2009 Ural T
2003 BMW R1150RT
2003 Ural M81030 650 2WD

mayrel
Comrade
Comrade

Post by mayrel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Howdy All,
This will be our second official gathering and we're looking forward to it! We brought charcoal and starter fluid to the BURP; what can we bring to this gathering? We'll be trailering our rig from Alabama, so we have room for whatever. We're not sure if we'll camp or motel it, but we'll be there for sure! John and Joy