Black Hills Ride

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
outrider
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Black Hills Ride

Post by outrider » Fri May 22, 2020 8:34 am

Well the ride is a go!

Wayne checked with the Chief Motel and they are open and our rooms are secured. Looks like the back road trails are ready as well.

All we need is some good weather and we can repeat the great time we had two years ago with fellow Ural riders and their wife's. New trails will be struck this year into the endless beauty of the Black Hills.
2017 Gear Up

Marital Art Instructor

Manscout
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Manscout » Fri May 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Just reserved our spot at Custer Crazy Horse Campground.

If you are on the fence about coming and haven't been out here, just do it!
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

outrider
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by outrider » Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 pm

:mrgreen:
jeffsaline wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:25 pm
When you get to the Black Hills stop at the visitor center in Rapid City, exit 61, south side, and ask for the free Motor Vehicle Use maps from the Forest Service. Make sure you get both maps which have a little overlap north and south. They will let you know where you may go and are pretty helpful for planning rides. Current maps are Jan. 2020, I just picked some up for a friend last week.

If you aren't going to be near Rapid City, stop at any Forest Service office and get them for free from them. That is if they are open.

I don't do the smart phone thing or high speed internet but I'm told you can also download the maps to a puter or phone. I like paper maps so that is what I use.

As far as I know right now the seasonal closure roads will be opened about 15 May. Sometimes it takes a few extra days to get all the gates open based on available personnel and weather conditions. Last year was really wet for here and some roads weren't opened for quite a while to help prevent user caused damage.

Maybe consider a "Lookout" tour if you are wanting an agenda. Cement Ridge Lookout is just over the Wyoming state line in the northern hills. Custer Peak, Bullock, Flag Mountain, Bear Mountain and Elk Mountain are good destinations. You'll see some wonderful country and get an adventure in too.

Another idea is to Geocache in the hills. There are a lot of geocaches here and you can put in your location and find the nearest caches and then hunt them down. I haven't been on the website in a few years but it used to be https://www.geocaching.com/play . Combine the Motor Vehicle Use maps and the geocache locations and you can have a fun time trying to get somewhere.

Best,

Jeff
Thanks Jeff for the ideas on places to see. Marking the map as I write this.
2017 Gear Up

Marital Art Instructor

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:24 am

Well? Did it happen?

Any pics?
Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:24 am
Well? Did it happen?

Any pics?
Here you go sir!
https://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtop ... =2&t=56929
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo