Idea: January/February Southern Arizona Rally in Quartzsite

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Idea: January/February Southern Arizona Rally in Quartzsite

Post by tx2sturgis » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:55 pm

mr. cob wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:06 am
If you know of a camp ground that will meet my needs please share a name, phone number or link to it, thanks.

Hey you're in luck! Info for you and others follows:

I have made phone contact with Dennis, at Desert Gardens RV park, on the SW end of Quartzsite, at Exit 17 on I-10, located just south of the Love's Truck Stop.

http://www.desertgardensrvpark.net/RVParkHome.html

Here are the rates, he did not offer a discount, but said that he can group us together if we want, and can offer the clubhouse if we need it for any get-together we might plan, if the weather was cold, or whatever. I told him we would be interested in the first week of February, approximately February 3 thru February 10.

On the website, it is listed as a 55+ RV park, but he told me that 40-55 year-olds would also be welcome, with our group. They just dont accomodate children or rowdy youngsters, so if you are bringing children, you will need to find other accomodations. If you are 40-ish but look 25, you might want to call and make sure it will be OK, if you want to stay here.

This park has 140 acres, so there is plenty of room.

Dry camping, (tent, camper, trailer, etc) 2 allowed per campsite and that will be $15 per day or $90 for a week. I assume two solo campers in two tents could split a campsite, but it might be wise to call and verify this.

Or, full hookups, long rigs accomodated, $40 per day or $240 for a week.

They have showers ($2), a laundomat, and direct access to 1000 miles of ATV trails. They are close to town, and all the vendors. Campfires in a fire ring are allowed. If you will be bringing pets, please read the pet policy: http://www.desertgardensrvpark.net/RVParkPetPolicy.html

I have NOT stayed here, so don't shoot me if it's not to your liking, as there are plenty of other RV parks and lots of free camping on all the BLM land in the area. I'm not associated with this park in any way, but thought I might do some 'legwork' ahead of time.

Again, nearby LTVA land is $40 for TWO weeks, (or $180 for 7 months) but no services other than vault toilets and potable water and dumpsters nearby. Showers in town at the public laundromat are $8. Grocery stores, liquor stores, ice, camping supplies, restaurants, firewood, etc, are all available in town. No Walmarts in Quartzsite, but there are Walmarts in Parker, Arizona and of course Tucson, Phoenix and Yuma.

If you call, mention that you are with the Ural Group. (I don't know how large this group might be...I'm assuming it will be less than 10 but you never know).

phone: (928) 927-6361

Here is a Google Maps location for Desert Gardens RV Park: https://goo.gl/maps/geAmssR4gWL2

And here is a listing for RV parks in the Q area:

https://www.yellowpages.com/quartzsite-az/rv-parks
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Howdy Brian,

Thanks for your post I am sure it will be helpful to many.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Yep, maybe so....there are not many RV parks in Q that offer dry tent camping since most tent campers stay for free (or very cheap) out on the BLM or LTVA areas.

The place you picked out looks good too!
Last edited by tx2sturgis on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

tgtrotter
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by tgtrotter » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:25 am

Well we are checking the pet policy at Quail Run. Desert gardens policy works for us too. As previously stated, work depending, mostly end and beginining weekends of month not well for me. So the week of the the 4-10th is feasible. Either of the two mentioned Desert gardens or Quail Run and we would have full hook ups. :thumbsup:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Just a note for pet owners.... the small critters, scorpions, snakes, etc, are mostly in hibernation during the winter, even though it can be 70 to 80 degrees in the daytime, it might be 35-40 degrees overnight. But the coyotes patrol all winter.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Just a reminder: I will be in that area, probably camping on BLM land, or in one of the LTVA zones, and could meet up with a group just about anywhere. Or, anyone wishing to camp in or near our YARC group would be more than welcome to join us. We are a friendly group!

I'm thinking that where ever the group or individuals wish to camp is fine with me. I won't have a sidecar rig, and possibly might not even have my motorcycle there. So if someone wants to be an 'organizer' out there, feel free to do that.

Sometime in mid to late January, when I know exactly where I am camped, I will post the GPS coordinates in this thread, so anyone arriving in February would have a place to camp, if they dont have anything already lined up.

Looking forward to it!
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Howdy All,

I just confirmed my reservation at Quail Run, camp ground in Quatzsite, see you folks when you get there.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

tgtrotter

Post by tgtrotter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:02 am

I spoke with Colleen at Quail Run. The pet policy is 25 lb limit. I am shooting for the first or second week of Feb. Changes and cancellations are subject to $100 fee. She said they most likely have a few spots for drive ins during Feb. Hope to meet some folks in Quartzsite too.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:09 am

I may be out there myself in January but on 2-wheels. Have two potential weeks that are very slow at work. This would be a fly and buy (very used) or rent for me. It would cost more to ship one of my own bikes than they cost me to buy in the first place. So just toying with that idea right now.

My daughter is an A.S.U. student living in Tempe (2 hours away from QZ) so have the beginnings of a good excuse to go.

These guys have a lot of local Quartzite information as well as a monthly and bi-monthly "Show-Me" tour of the region open to anyone.
Atv/Dual-Sport/Dirt Bike... etc.

https://azohvambassadors.com/show-me-rides
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1991 Honda XR250L, 1969 BMW r60/2 US model

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 am

stagewex wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:09 am
I may be out there myself in January but on 2-wheels.

{snip}

I'd probably buy a beer and burger for any guy who flies that far to see some old geezers and a couple of cactuses....cactii?.

And that's a cool link, thanks for sharing.
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:04 pm

stagewex wrote:

My daughter is an A.S.U. student living in Tempe (2 hours away from QZ) so have the beginnings of a good excuse to go.

Fork ‘em Devils. ASU alum twice over here.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:18 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 am
stagewex wrote:
I may be out there myself in January but on 2-wheels.

{snip}

I'd probably buy a beer and burger for any guy who flies that far to see some old geezers and a couple of cactuses....cactii?.

And that's a cool link, thanks for sharing.
HaHa, I'll take that beer.
Remember, the cover story is I'm going to visit my daughter at school. Hopefully she is back from Christmas/Winter break by that time.
Looking at this week, is this the week around the time you geezers are gathered out there:
IMG_9166.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stagewex on Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1991 Honda XR250L, 1969 BMW r60/2 US model

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:19 pm

sagerat wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:04 pm
stagewex wrote:

Fork ‘em Devils. ASU alum twice over here.
You certainly moved far from the desert heat.
Stagewex

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:58 pm

stagewex wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:18 pm
is this the week around the time you geezers are gathered out there:
I should be there by mid-January, and will be around the area for probably about 3 or 4 weeks, but I think the first full week in February is when many of the Ural riders are planning to be there.

Of course it's a big area with lots to do and a lot happening all winter, so any week that works for you will be fine with me.

January 21-26 I have 'loose' plans to be on BLM land just off La Paz Valley Road, about 5 miles south of Q. That is the week of Quartzfest, a ham radio event.

But before and after, I will likely be camped on LTVA land, probably LaPosa South, depending on the group I hang with. I hope to visit with Mr Cob and others who show up.

Mid to late January, the local motels are probably booked up, and RV campground fees are a bit higher, due to the huge RV show during that time frame. But the traffic and crowds thin out by the start of February.

If you are planning to camp, bring a tent and stay on BLM land for free!
---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:25 pm

Anticipation!

---Brian
Republic of Texas

2013 Ural Solo sT