Spring in Moab 2018

Planning a local ride or a Rally? Let other folks know here so they can ride along.
Forum rules
This is the place to plan a ride or let others know about upcoming rides. Please post stories and/or pictures of the ride once it happens in the "Ride Reports" section. Please put the city and state of the rally or start of the ride so folks can attend.
Glazier
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Spring in Moab 2018

Post by Glazier » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:41 am

mr. cob wrote:
Glazier wrote:
mr. cob wrote:
Glazier wrote:I was there in 2016 and saw quite a few people camping/rv-ing across the highway and down the road a bit. Does anyone know if we can do that this year? It's looking like work is slow and I may be able to get the week off.
Mike
Howdy Mike,

I plan to camp in the large open area across the Hwy from the camp ground where the group is staying, they want way to much money to camp in my opinion.

Dave
Hi Dave
Do you predict there being plenty of room there for me?
Mike
Howdy Mike,

Where I plan to park, right across the Hwy from the camp ground there has got to be at least 10 acres of open, flat ground, unless something happens that would prevent us camping there I don't foresee any problems.

Dave
Thanks Dave.
Maybe ill make it this year. Can't be sure yet.
Mike
2000 Patrol
2007 Tourist
1979 Hard tail Shovel Head

ReCycled
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by ReCycled » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Less than a month out now.... :moto:

Any special words of advise for a noob to riding in this area? Such as, what kind of temps range should we be prepared to deal with?
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:35 pm

ReCycled wrote:Less than a month out now.... :moto:

Any special words of advise for a noob to riding in this area? Such as, what kind of temps range should we be prepared to deal with?
Howdy ReCycled,

That time of year in the Moab area it can anywhere from 70+ degrees to below freezing, much depends on what elevation your at. Its usually cool at night high 40's low 50's up to around 60+ in the afternoon, can be calm or windy if its raining and the wind is blowing its down right cold. Wear good all weather gear and you should be comfortable.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

avion

Post by avion » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:25 pm

My wife and I are thinking of coming this year. Sounds like it's fairly cool so we would probably be dry camping in our old trailer. If it's hot I'll need hookups so my bride doesn't melt. Only thing that might prevent out attendance is friends our flying back from a motorcycle trip in Sourh America and they might be coming in around that time. All depends if there able to sell their bike in Bolivia. Then they fly to the states to pick up their other bike at our house. Hope to see you all in Moab, this will be our first Ural get together. Cris and Kimmy.

prstone50
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by prstone50 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:01 am

Information about ‘Boondocking ‘ near the Archview Campground. Directly across the highway is a rather large parking and dry camping area at the Gemini Bridges Road . I was there a month ago and I believe it was a ‘drop the money in a box ‘ pay thing of $20 a night . I believe this a a small private piece of land. About 1 mile North of Archview is Willow Springs Road with a ton of dispersed camping, you just have to wander down it. A couple of miles down the road is a sandy w@$# that isn’t good for campers ! But plenty of easy access camping and turn arounds for most rigs. This is all free dispersed camping . At one time Archview had a small area for dry camping that was really cheap too, but I can’t be sure of that now with new owners. Anyone planning on tent camping at Archview be aware that the noise from
The highway is pretty bad. As of last year one could pay for a shower at Archview for $5 if you are boondocking. I hope to see you guys there but I will be without my Ural as I have to retrieve my camper from a prior trip and truck breakdown earlier this year .
2013 Gear Up Forest Fog "Yuri"
2000 Kuwalski Super Sherpa "Olive" ... sold
2007 TW200 "Steve"
2017 KLR650 "Roja"
Laramie, WY

mundo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by mundo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:51 pm

The bastards tried to kill me , but they couldn't ! After a year off the trail with 2 total hip replacements I'm ready to mount up the soviet steed and head to Moab. Break out the good stuff ...

" We're head out Marge, if I don't return , avenge my death"
Homer Simpson
2012 Gear -Up
Moab Raid
https://vimeo.com/94579629

canoewest
Party Member
Party Member

Post by canoewest » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:42 pm

mundo wrote:The bastards tried to kill me , but they couldn't ! After a year off the trail with 2 total hip replacements I'm ready to mount up the soviet steed and head to Moab. Break out the good stuff ...

" We're head out Marge, if I don't return , avenge my death"
Homer Simpson
Awesome - looking forward to seeing you Ed! I’ll bring the whiskey!
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

K7MDL
Comrade
Comrade

Post by K7MDL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:00 pm

I am making my way to Moab. Arriving April 17, but without my friends, life threw a curveball at me.

I was in Phoenix for a week, then Page, AZ, now in Zion for 3 nights. Trying canyoneering tomorrow then exploring some of the dirt roads around the edge of the park. Hopefully the roads stay clear Tuesday.
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2016 Ford F150 XLT 3.5EB 3.55 rear lockers
2018 Winnebago View 24D on a Sprinter diesel chassis

TCTeardrops

Post by TCTeardrops » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 am

I will be in the Moab area around the 29th

mundo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by mundo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Any one with a tent space at Archview Campground want to share it ? M-T -W nites ?
2012 Gear -Up
Moab Raid
https://vimeo.com/94579629

sasha_j
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sasha_j » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Sorry guys, family commitments come my way....jinxed yet again for Moab in April!
Sasha J

http://www.laura-n-sasha.com
2014 Ural Gear Up, Sage Green, expertly dialed in by UNIQUE RIDES in Fort Collins, Colorado
Full Time RV'er with late-model wife

K7MDL
Comrade
Comrade

Post by K7MDL » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:57 pm

I have arrived, Site 59 in the far back row. Winnebago View with MC trailer, blue triumph 800xcx. No plans made yet. Weather sunny, in the 50's and very windy today.
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
2016 Ford F150 XLT 3.5EB 3.55 rear lockers
2018 Winnebago View 24D on a Sprinter diesel chassis

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:30 pm

K7MDL wrote:I have arrived, Site 59 in the far back row. Winnebago View with MC trailer, blue triumph 800xcx. No plans made yet. Weather sunny, in the 50's and very windy today.
What is the weather like? Hi/Lo temps, etc... curious.
mundo wrote:Any one with a tent space at Archview Campground want to share it ? M-T -W nites ?
The last I looked, M w Tu was open for reservations. Friday was sold out, so I am going to have to Boondock across the highway with Mr. Cob and others. Ifr anyone has a Friday open or Thurs/Fri?Sat open I need it.

Send email PM if you find someone with THur Fri Sat open...

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:01 am

Howdy All,

I have put off writing this post until I was absolutely certain but due to the car hauling deck on my Peterbilt, NOT being finished in fact it has yet to be started on I won't be able to make this years Moab event. If everything had went according to plan, the Smart Car, deck would have been finished and I would have been able to attend. The shop I am working with to build and install the deck is behind in prior commitments and my truck will be worked on when the other jobs are finished.

I have to get this work done, my whole summer is planned, reservations made in many places and I will need to carry the Smart Car, on the truck so I can have the entire garage of the toy hauler for TOYS. I have the Freightliner, up for sale so I don't want to use it now that I am trying to sell it. The Peterbilt, other then the Smart Car, deck is finished and ready to roll but if I take it to Moab as it is I don't know when it would get worked on and I can't take the chance that it wouldn't be done before my many summer trips begin.

Have FUN, take lots of photos, do some great ride reports and make me feel bad for not making this years event.

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 am

Going to miss you Dave.

I am going to be late myself, probably be there Tuesday now instead of Sunday.
Dana
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
2006 Patrol in Blue

Proud member of the Patrol Patrol