BMW GS question

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: BMW GS question

Post by stagewex » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:42 am

BTW, if you do pursue a TW look for and buy used. There is very little change over the years (1987 to 2020) other than graphics and colors. It's a Bread & Butter bike for Yamaha, a winner that they have been smart enough not to screw around with much. Should be obvious what's a beat-up bike and what has been taken care of.

At some point (I forgot what year) they eliminated the kick-starter and added a front disc brake. The disc brake is obviously a good upgrade but losing the kicker kinda sucked. However Yamaha left the cavity where the kick start mechanism was empty, basically just plugged. You can put together the parts to restore the kicker for about $250-$300 and it is well worth it. Used to come as a kit but no longer. But you can just ala carte the parts still available. They are the same parts used in Yamaha Marine Engines with the exception of the actual kicker. Very nice upgrade to have in the woods or if your battery ever goes boobs-up. So even if you bought a brand-new 2021 TW you can install the same parts to do this spec'd for a 1987.

The stock front tire is referred to as "The Death Wing" by some. Most replace it with a Trials tire if you are doing both street & woods riding.

Lots of TW sites. TWForum.com was the one I went to and still sometimes drop in even now. Very friendly and knowledgeable community similar to SS.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:03 am

zsieffert wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:58 pm
I’m no hardcore mechanic, but I do own a Ural,

HaHa, Perfect reality quote of the week :)
Stagewex

upstate ny
Party Member
Party Member

Post by upstate ny » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:06 pm

I have a RT1150, 2004 with 90,000 miles. The transmission input spline crapped out 2 weeks ago. The 1100/1150's had some issues with this, either the alignment was bad out of the factory and they would go bad in 30,000 miles, or like mine, they would never be serviced and fail later (3rd owner of bike).

A new disk with a longer shaft is available from Beemer boneyard that takes care of the problem, if the spine isn't yet stripped out.

I love the bike, the 04 has the 2 plugs per cylinder, no surging. Super smooth and comfortable. The GS sits more upright, so I would think it would be comfortable as well. I wound up stripping out the antilock linked setup after it failed, and the brakes work fine. I just don't trust the electronics on new bikes, they look way too complex.

Anyone reading this with experience tearing into oilheads give me a shout! This shaft/spline issue may be beyond me. I may have a winter project for somebody, $. THANKS
2021 cT, previously 2012 Tourist, traded in with 59,000 kms
2004 FJR1300 55,700

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:03 pm

On the K75's & K100's the spline lube maint. at the trans & FD were something like 30K to 40K according to the manual. But the Lube itself would creep up and away from the spline leaving it dry way, way before the maint. indicated in the manual. Like the perfect storm of defective engineering it was at the perfect angle and at certain speeds the perfect rotation for this to occur if you followed the manual. Obviously that has been corrected on newer models.

Most folks just did or had the splines lubed at every rear tire change... 5000 to 7000 miles depending on what brand and type of riding you did.

BMW people here may recall kinda outlaw BMW Tech Chris Harris and all his youtube videos, not sure if he is making them anymore? He had a buddy who, if you sent him you shaft, would simply weld a "stopper" on to it which solved the problem. Of course BMW never acknowledged there was an issue anyway and certainly doesn't care now. But now that the earlier K bikes are classic/vintage, folks that own and maintain them know. There's a few here on SS.

A "K" bike, not a Boxer so due diligence would be to see if that is a recurring issued on one the BMW sites or BMWMOA itself based on year and model.

I can only tell my experience and what I picked up along the way. I ran Metzlers on my "K", fantastic performance tire but also a "soft tire" so usually only got 4000 miles out of the rear. So that's when I did the spine lube which was always pretty dry by that time. Had to see it to believe it.

Chris is a friend of Van (Gobium) so if he's still around should be able to personally ask if it's the same issue for your bike. model & year.

As a side note does everyone here who owned a pre-2013 (maybe 2006 to 2010) Ural remember the wrong cyl head torque specs printed in the Owners Manual? Kinda reminds me of that but on the BMW it was an actual defect. For Ural is was incorrect information.
Stagewex

upstate ny
Party Member
Party Member

Post by upstate ny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:07 pm

Yes, I have the 2 hr Chris Harris video bookmarked...it has already helped me with diagnosis. Pull the starter (after removing left side tupperware), and turn the rear wheel when bike is in gear. You can see the shaft turning around the spline...which makes the broken egg beater sound you never want to hear.

BTW if Chris ever sees this, THANKS. So any threads on this very issue across the web, and lots of confusion or dead links from 06-08 when the problem was really being seen. Your video is clear and I may be able to pull this off. It's just when you have to break into the case that get's scary.

When I was stationed in Germany, the K75 came out and I lusted for that...wound up with the Concours, kinda the Japanese version, but truly bulletproof. Other than getting the buzz sorted out, no mechanical gremlins that I know of.
2021 cT, previously 2012 Tourist, traded in with 59,000 kms
2004 FJR1300 55,700

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:41 pm

Ahh, that's great. His videos can be pretty entertaining too as well as he curses out frustration, mostly at the company (BMW).
But extremely informative.
Stagewex

SemperFiUral
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by SemperFiUral » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:21 pm

I have a 2019 GS 1250 with about 8K on it. It's on it's third visit to the dealer to fix a simple leak from the left side valve cover and they've had it for 2 months now on this visit. First replaced gasket - no fixie. 2nd time replaced valve cover - no fixie. They are now on their second full cylinder head replacement and cannot sort out some gear spec. issue so we don't know if that will fix leak. Of course all covered under warranty but I just want the darn thing back. Still waiting on next steps from Germany. Until then, I'll ride the '11 Retro in the slow lane. We have 2021 GS 750 on order for GF.
2011 Ural Retro - ("Rutrow")
2019 BMW GS 1250

Yankee Dog
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Yankee Dog » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:24 am

Not to pi$$ on Cheerios. But there are much better adventure bikes out there than the GS. For a lot less cash. BMW just does not have the reliability they once had. I have to class,them with Harley’s as status cruisers these days.

Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Triumph all make solid reliable bikes. The Suzuki is probably the best bang for the buck. Triumphs are my personal favorite. I’ve own several and they have spent almost no time in the shop.

But I do understand the BMW allure. I won’t say I will never own one again. Certainly no worse than the Ural sitting in my garage. Just more expensive and harder to work on.
chaos reigns.

2019 Gear-up/Sportsman

zsieffert
Party Member
Party Member

Post by zsieffert » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:35 pm

That’s why I’m looking at older GS rigs. It’s an entry level, relatively inexpensive test to see if I like larger capacity two wheels or if I want to just stay with the Ural. One that can be a beater and I felt comfortable leaving under a motorcycle cover since I don’t have a garage.

If I were buying new, and had a garage, I would definitely be looking at Honda’s Africa Twin, Triumph’s Explorer or even Royal Enfield’s new 650 INT. Can’t say I would ever feel comfortable paying what new GS’ cost for any bike.

Unfortunately there aren’t any AT’s or Explorers out there that fit my wants currently. So it’s older GS models.
'07 black Patrol "Zevon"

SD9

Post by SD9 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:13 pm

I owned a Fat Boy and by accident traded an old pick up for a BMW R1150 RTP, I fell in love with the thing! I now own a 2001 R1150 GS with over a hundred thousand miles on it. I bought it on Craigslist for two grand. At 5ft 10" and 65 years of age, I have had the beast fall over like a redwood tree on occasion. I'm having it lowered as a result. I still enjoy it and it's a nice escape from my 2013 Gobi Desert Ural. I will most likely own my Ural until the end, but the GS is great fun on a twisty mountain road. What sucks is, I can't safely bring my dog on my GS like I can with my Ural. The only issue with the GS is the battery will draw down when the bike isn't ridden often. A battery maintainer seem to be a must. If you are like me and Your in the (not tall) category, you will be surprised how cumbersome these GS series bikes are. You have to ask yourself, can you pick it up all alone on a gravel road if your attacked by gravity. These are the most awkward motorcycles I've ever experienced once they are down.
Mike Burks
2013 Gobi Desert Gear Up
1969 Rokon

2017 Polaris Ace 500
2001 R1150GS

zsieffert
Party Member
Party Member

Post by zsieffert » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:53 pm

Started looking seriously at a couple of Triumph Tigers. There’s a couple of 2005 & 2006 955i Tigers out there that look promising with low mileage and seem to be in good shape.
'07 black Patrol "Zevon"

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:17 pm

That’s why I’m looking at older GS rigs.
Older would be the original 80s GS.

Now them were motor cycles. We sold ours at about that mileage as I had ruptured disk and would not be riding a 2 wheel again.

They all had various issues. Spline luge was one, use of lock washers that cracked and loosened up the U joints was another.

Frame was crude, suspension was wonderful and perfect for AK roads German engineering is weird that way.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:31 am

Had an ‘04 GS and put 24K on it in three years. Regretted selling it, but hated dealer servicing costs. Bought an unsold ‘09 GSA in 2010 and put 66K on it in eight years. I’d still have it if a stopped van of German tourists (oh, the irony) in a corner in Utah hadn’t led to its demise.

Maybe it’s not the GSs that age out at 55K, but rather it’s the riders. You have to have a certain level of income to own modern Beemers and most folks probably don’t get there until late 30s or early 40s.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

zsieffert
Party Member
Party Member

Post by zsieffert » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:45 pm

I’m finding that your reasoning is making sense. I’m starting to move away from the GS notion, as finding Tiger995i’s is a bit more fruitful for the price range I’m looking at.
'07 black Patrol "Zevon"

Ammo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Ammo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:54 pm

i’ve had several variations of the older tigers and like them better than the GSA I had
Mac
13 Patrol T
16 Chief
21 CRF450RL