Barn find Velorex 562 sidecar.

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
Scott E
Party Member
Party Member

Barn find Velorex 562 sidecar.

Post by Scott E » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:09 pm

Pulled a Velorex 562 Cruiser sidecar out of a barn and paid $350 for it. I was worried about getting the J-bar out of the frame but it came out after spraying with PB-Blaster and a big pipe wrench to start it moving. All the clamps and brackets were with it but it's missing some nuts and bolts that will be easy to replace. It's also missing a couple of clamp shims but I can make new ones from sections of pipe. It's going on my 2006 Honda VT600. All I need to order for it is a new tire and tube.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Barn find Velorex 562 sidecar.

Post by VWK75S » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:59 am

Good deal :)
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:24 am

Good deal. I just sold one for $2K, they’re $4K new with all the accessories and shipping. I have one more 562 that I plan to put on one of my Royal Enfields.
Good luck with your project :cheers:

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

Bar None
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bar None » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Great barn find.
I had a RE with a Cozy sidecar which was a nice ride.
Here I am taking a friend's 97 year old mother on a birthday ride across the Tail Of The Dragon ETN/WNC several years ago.
Vince_Mimi_9-8-19_50.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vince in Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC
Owned a 2012 Yamal and a 2015 cT in the past.
2021 Ural cT
2020 Ice Bear Vision 150 scooter

TomsFunMachine
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by TomsFunMachine » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Heck of a deal!

I was able to source some saddle clamps and shims, for a project, from a couple re-sellers on ebay
2002 Ural Tourist w/7.4 gal Dnepr tank
1965 BMW R69S Willis (long-term project bike)
2000 KLR 650
2018 Ninja 400 (Wife's rocket)

Scott E
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Scott E » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:07 pm

I got all the hardware apart and all the threaded bits and peaces cleaned up and threading in and out by hand easily. The sidecar cover had shrunk a little and after figuring out what I needed to do to attach the sidecar to my Honda Shadow moved it outside in the sun. I managed to un-shrink it and now the cover fits perfectly again. I need the room in my shop to fabricate a sub-frame to adapt the bike to the sidecar. I had a peace of 3" X 4" X 1/4" angle iron so I cut that down to size and machined slots in it for U-bolts and bolted it to the bikes frame. The rear brake rod just clears without interference. I need to weld a 1" square tube to the bottom of the angle iron that will clamp on a frame tube crossing between the left and right frame tubes under the bike. At the other end of the angle iron is where the bikes frame tubing starts curving upward and a U-bolt clamp there supports that end of the angle iron. I'm way over building it so I wont have any issues later. Then I will weld 2 1 1/4" square tubing supports to the angle iron with an up angle that will weld to 1" structural steel pipe (1 1/4" outside diameter) to the other ends of the square pipe supports. This will bring the pipe up and away from the exhaust pipes providing a place for the Velorex clamps to attach for the lower mounts. The Honda has a low rider design so the pipe needed to come up higher that the motorcycles frame tubing. For the top rear mount I'll weld a peace of the 1" tubing to a custom rear luggage rack I made several years ago. It's a box design that easily supported a trailer hitch along with a trunk on top of it. The front top mount will be another 1" pipe welded to a crash bar that's part of a mount I fabricated for my frame mounted Windjammer fairing. It's made of 1" square 11 gauge square tubing and is more than strong enough. I've dropped the bike several times on it with no problems at all. I wanted something strong enough so if someone ran into the side of my bike with a car or truck the crash bar would not collapse and I end up with an amputated leg like what happened to a friend of mine. Those chrome fancy curved crash bars they sell today are paper thin and are really just a fashion accessory. No pictures yet. I'll post those later once the sub frame is completed. Right now it just looks like assorted bits and peaces of steel parts.

Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Rich Maund » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:04 pm

The frames on those are easily twisted under load when attached to bikes larger than the old 350 two strokes they were intended for. Extra bracketing or even a better frame can be a great upgrade for them to improve stability in corners. I met a guy who had one on a Guzzi and the frame would sage and collapse towards the bike as he sat on the rig! That made it scary as heck in corners.
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2021 Royal Enfield Continental 650 GT
2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport

Scott E
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Scott E » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:19 pm

Rich Maund wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:04 pm
The frames on those are easily twisted under load when attached to bikes larger than the old 350 two strokes they were intended for. Extra bracketing or even a better frame can be a great upgrade for them to improve stability in corners. I met a guy who had one on a Guzzi and the frame would sage and collapse towards the bike as he sat on the rig! That made it scary as heck in corners.
It's going on a Honda VT600 VLX ( VLX = V-twin Lowered eXtended ) which is actually 583cc. It's not a heavy weight bike at all. I'm an old man which is one of the reasons I purchased that bike in 2009. I've dropped it a few times which I knew I would do so I made a custom crash and drop bar for it. It does not effect corning but it does a nice job of keeping the bike from being damaged by a drop. I can easily pick the bike up when dropped. All the weight is quite low to the ground as well. Anyway, I'm well on the way to getting the sidecar hooked up to the bike. I'm almost done fabricating the sub-frame. The bike sits too low to directly connect the lower two sidecar mounts to the bikes frame. That and due to the long swing arm Honda used on the bike in order to make it low and long the J-bar must be mounted further back than normal. The sub frame will correct that problem so I end up with exactly 15% length between the bikes rear axle and the sidecar axle, which is 8 5/16 inches. After I get it on the road if I have sidecar frame problems I will strengthen the frame and replace the stock axle and wheel with a 1" axle, trailer hub, and tire. There's a kit for that but I can make that stuff myself and already have everything in my "salvaged peaces and parts bin".

Rich Maund
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Rich Maund » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:03 pm

Good to hear. Sounds like you have a great plan for mounting it well!
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

2021 Royal Enfield Continental 650 GT
2002 Kawasaki ZR750 Sport

Scott E
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Scott E » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 pm

Got the Velorex 562 sidecar attached to my Honda VLX VT600 and have a little over 100 miles on it now. I started with 1/2" toe in and 1/2" lean out. Steering was a little wobbly at very slow speeds. Nothing major but you could feel it in the handlebars. I increased tow in to 5/8" and solved that problem. I don't need a steering dampener at all now. I decreased lean out from 1/2" to 1/4" inch due to the slight road camber we have where I'll be riding most of the time. It felt excessive and after the adjustment to 1/4" inch lean out was now correct. It's also better when in the left lane on 4 lane highways where the camber is reversed. It's actually hard to feel any difference now when switching from the right lane to the left lane. I took the bike up to 60 mph with no issues at all. The bike with it's sidecar handled and rode just fine while passing a car in the left reverse camber lane at 60 mph which was 5 mph over the speed limit on that road. The sidecar felt solid as well. It's a little light so you've got to be careful in right hand turns because it's easy to fly the car without ballast. I added 50 lbs ballast until I got used to it but now I'm not carrying ballast now that I know how much speed I can make going into right hand turns. I'm delighted with how well my bike handles with the sidecar. Oh; I almost forgot. I have the sidecar axle set with 8 5/16 of an inch offset which was perfect. Fabricating a sub-frame allowed me to do that. Without it the offset would have been 14 inches which would have been way too much and I'm sure that's the reason a lot of people say the Honda VT600 VLX is not a good sidecar tug. I've found it is just fine but only because of the sub-frame I made for it.

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:39 am

Scott E wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 pm
I have the sidecar axle set with 8 5/16 of an inch offset which was perfect.
From the pusher?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:00 am

Give the sidecar hub and bearings a good look-see as well. If it sat that long with an unknown maintenance history, they probably need attention.

TomsFunMachine
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by TomsFunMachine » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:31 am

This is awesome ScottE ! Post up some subframe construction pics, the written description is kinda hard to follow.

I love to see other people's fabrication solutions :mrgreen:

A couple years ago, I wanted a sidecar rig and started building my own subframe for my KLR650, so I could mount this Craigslist sidecar project to it.

I was about 80% there, then one Saturday morning, this Ural stumbled into my life 8)
2002 Ural Tourist w/7.4 gal Dnepr tank
1965 BMW R69S Willis (long-term project bike)
2000 KLR 650
2018 Ninja 400 (Wife's rocket)

Scott E
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Scott E » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:19 pm

VWK75S wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:39 am
Scott E wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 pm
I have the sidecar axle set with 8 5/16 of an inch offset which was perfect.
From the pusher?
John
The distance between the pusher axle and the sidecar axle is 8 5/16 of an inch. That's 15% of the wheel base of the motorcycle.

Scott E
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Scott E » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:41 pm

BinDerSmokDat wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:00 am
Give the sidecar hub and bearings a good look-see as well. If it sat that long with an unknown maintenance history, they probably need attention.
I did check them out. They are sealed bearings and I rotated each one individually to feel for any bad spots. They both rolled very easy and smooth so no issues there. I did check the end play before removing the sidecar wheel from the sidecar to load it in my truck. The end play was set at a 1/4 turn end play at the wheel nut which is correct after removing the carter pin from the axle and castle nut. I was worried about the small diameter of the axle used but now that I'm riding the bike with the sidecar attached it's performed flawlessly. The sidecar frame is also strong enough for my Motorcycle. My Motorcycle is what everyone calls the "Little Shadow" because the engine is 583cc and sits low to the ground and so all the weight is very low as well. It's not overloading the sidecar at all.