Glock 44 first shots

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
sagerat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Glock 44 first shots

Post by sagerat » Sat May 01, 2021 10:04 pm

Report of first shots of my own Glock G44. I have shot several hundred rounds through a friend’s. Ordered mine online from Palmetto State Armory after another buddy tipped me off that this .22LR pistol I’ve been after for a year was available.

Had it shipped to Double Tap (excellent local gun store) and went in yesterday to pick it up.  I was 4,300 something in the Oregon State Police (OSP) data base (honest) for the background check, but #2 in the queue. Yay for having a CHL! Passed background check in about five minutes.

Shot it today with temps in low 50s and overcast with few sprinkles.  First 20 rounds and six failures to eject. Ahh, Remington Thunderbolt you never fail to disappoint. Tap, rack, bang. Repeat as needed.  Those were the only failures over the next approximately 150 rounds.  30 more rounds of Thunderdolts round nose lead, then about 100 of Federal 36-grain copper-plated hollowpoints, and around 30 CCI Mini-Mags copper-plated round nose.

I’m cross-eye dominant, meaning I shoot a pistol left-handed, but my dominant eye is my right one. The G44 shot high and right, consistently.  I kept moving my point of aim (POA) left and down to change point of impact (POI).  Rear sight came mounted so sight was almost to right shoulder of slide.  Jack knife was too big to turn adjustment screws on rear sight.  Of course the Glock-supplied screwdriver was 20 miles away back at the house.

The weird part? Just for giggles, I cranked through several magazines shooting two-handed with weak, i.e., right hand.  Tin cans and plastic lemons flew about and plastic bottles spurted water.  Hmm.  Didn’t think I was pushing the trigger that much, if at all.  The G44 and G19 have the same ergos, that’s why I bought the .22.  I don’t shoot the 9mm that high and that wide right.

Further plinking, er, testing is obviously called for. Plus I found the roughly atom-sized screwdriver Glock provides to adjust the rear sight in the bag with the trigger lock I had earlier tossed into the garbage.

Overall, I’m pleased.  The G44 functioned well.  I have some Aquila ammo to try out as well as bulk Winchester.  CCI was the most accurate brand of the rounds shot.  Plan is to add Tru Glo night sights and a tac light to match the G19’s set-up which is my EDC and house gun. Then I’ll have a .22 trainer for my 9mm tactical tupperware.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

sagerat

Re: Glock 44 first shots

Post by sagerat » Sun May 02, 2021 5:51 pm

G44 second shots.

Grabbed a box of Aguila 40-grain copper-plated round nose, the microscopic Glock screwdriver to adjust the rear sight, and headed east of town.

Got to my 25-yard rock and went for a small Advil bottle. Concentrated on grip, hold, finger placement on trigger, and trigger pull.

Nope, first 10 shots were still wide right and high. Nice group, though. Worked on windage first. Two mags and 1.5 counterclockwise turns later, the rear sight was calibrated and Point of Impact had moved left several inches. One mag and a half turn, the rear sight was lowered and the POI and Point of Aim agreed on elevation. The Advil bottle soon met its bullet-riddled fate.

Then I went nuts. Tin cans, clay pigeons on the ground as the shotgunners missed, tennis balls, I had a field day. Not every shot was a hit, but if not they were near misses. Way better than yesterday.

120-150 rounds fired. Every round ejected. Only had one failure to feed and that was my fault as I got sloppy on a fast reload.

Finished off by going back to 50 yards and trying my best to hit various tin cans. Most survived, but I clobbered a few. I am very impressed with this .22 Glock. Not the tack driver that my Ruger Mk IV 22/45 is, but what is? The Glock 44 will make an excellent trainer and be a fun woods gun.

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Fri May 14, 2021 5:31 pm

Third shots.

Did not like Federal 36g hollow points at all. Lots of FTF.

Rear sight came loose. Grr.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat May 15, 2021 3:26 pm

Well we can't have you posting and no response. I am not a Glock guy, I liked my revolvers and the DA/SA suits me.

Still getting out and plinking (err target shooting) is a lot of fun. Sadly my eyes don't focus well in iron sights. I may buy a barrel for the Model 41 that has tapped for an optic.

Having my eyes loose the focus ability has been a disappointment. I was really good at one time with a Pistol. I tried out for the Troopers, got to shoot their Practical Police Course (back int he 70s so not what they are now)

The drill was they just handed you a 357 N Frame, 50 rounds as I recall and two speed loaders. Described the course.

The big factor was you had to realize where he breaks where, when you needed to use the two speed loaders and when you would pull from the box of ammo (yea the flaws there are obvious now but it was an early days)

I was good at thinking ahead, so I got the planning part sorted and that all worked.

You had time to shoot Single Action so I did (all but the last real in close stage where time was a tight factor but you could not miss at 5 yards)

I had been shooting an N Fame 41 magnum in gravel pits around where I worked for 3 years, so the 357 was a natural fit.

The ammo was wad cutter, it was like shooting a 22 in that heavy frame 357.

I was happy with how it all went, the Range officer /Instructor acted odd when he came down to total the score, ran it through 3 times and I am thinking, what did I do wrong?

Finally he wrote down a number and told me to go check the main shooting board in the Lobby, and where did I learn to shoot? Uhhh, Gravel Pits........ He also said, all the officers here are because they want to be on the Trooper Pistol team. hmmmm

I was number 3 or 4 on the board score wise. Ok, I can see why he was startled. I never thought I was that good (maybe they just were not?)

Over the years I shot off and on with my step dad, most of the time he was a bit better than I was.

I was all muscle on could lock in a gun solid, he was technique , I think we were a lot better than we knew.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Sun May 16, 2021 7:34 pm

Yep, I’m old enough to remember when wheelguns were the preferred option for state troopers in AZ. I have had a S&W 686+ with a 4” barrel for 25-30 years. I don’t think I’ve ever shot it SA more than a handful of times. DA on that revolver is buttery smooth. It’s a joy to shoot.

The only pistol with a trigger that’s close to the S&W is my Sig P229R. The Glock’s trigger feel is, uh, uniquely its own. :lol: Still the Glock G19 carries so easily and conceals easily, plus the G19 is as reliable as an anvil. The G44 has promise as a trainer.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun May 16, 2021 9:28 pm

My Smiths were all N Frame winding up with the Model 57, never handled a 686.

SA and the fine trigger let off was my go to. I had a Rubber 44 magnum before the Smiths so it may be a factor. The longer range on the course at least confirmed to me you can do SA and that was my woods MO. If it was just an alert I left it in DA, if I was really getting the creepy feeling, had it in SA but the finger outside the trigger guard.

I have handled an original Python, as nice as the S&W are, that is even nicer. HK P30 I got to shoot was a nice SA. I still shoot mostly SA, just enough DA to know I can do it but never as accurate. The Sig 2022 is pretty good, let alone for a lower cost gun its almost as good as the HK.

Its amazing what you can do, I had a dog get into the back yard and it came after me when I was trying to heard it out (I had given it a good outlet). Our cat was in the back yard and I had the Smith Model 41 (that is one serious hair trigger).

As he was coming at me I am telling him, you don't want to do that and had started the trigger squeeze at 5 yards when he went left and out the opening. Normally a trigger squeeze on the Model 41 is a shot, seriously interesting how much finer you can slice time when things get to the sharp point.

Really delighted not to have to deal with a dead dog, lucky feller, not sure if it was the tone of voice or look in my eyes.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems