German Soldier's View of War Leading to Stalingrad

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
LRP
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

German Soldier's View of War Leading to Stalingrad

Post by LRP » Sat May 08, 2021 1:03 pm

Very well done video. Long, but worth watching. Has all the elements of warfare from the German side.

LRP :moto:

Dick
Army Bird Dog Pilot, Nam.
2018 CT
Traded '08 Patrol
2008 Royal Enfield cast iron military
1983 Honda Passport

19 previous motos

Pterodactyl
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: German Soldier's View of War Leading to Stalingrad

Post by Pterodactyl » Sat May 08, 2021 8:39 pm

No sound......
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
After taking several readings I’m surprised to find my mind is fairly sound..... Willie Nelson, Me and Paul

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Sun May 09, 2021 1:30 am

Probably they will turn sound on if they get donation?

I'll watch it tomorrow.
Thankfully, it was over (tomorrow, 76 years ago) May 9th 1945!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMD-3)
38 idle/130 main/ 1.5 shim (0.80mm washer)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals with telescopic front ends, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Sun May 09, 2021 11:55 am

Audio Book Memoir.

[https://youtu.be/MpnobhF4kmo]
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun May 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:39 pm
No sound......
Yep, there isn't. :D Haven't seen it all yet.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Sun May 09, 2021 6:57 pm

The end:
Alex
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals with telescopic front ends, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sun May 09, 2021 9:02 pm

Fascinating video. Felt so bad for the villagers having their homes burned down, and all those prisoners who will not live to see 1945. interesting seeing the various vehicles and showing the day-to-day lives of the ordinary soldier.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Sun May 09, 2021 11:06 pm

Lokiboy wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:02 pm
Fascinating video. Felt so bad for the villagers having their homes burned down, and all those prisoners who will not live to see 1945. interesting seeing the various vehicles and showing the day-to-day lives of the ordinary soldier.
I feel bad for all soldiers, their families, and not only...

Not only homes were burned down, in some villages the people were stuffed inside the barns and burned alive. And those were not only Jews, communists or Gipsy's.
Millions of ordinary soldiers, ordinary civilians were killed. There was no family left in the former Soviet Union which got out without a loss of a family member.
My maternal side grandfather died in military hospital after his leg amputation in 1943. His son (my uncle) went all the way to Berlin, however the war was easy on him. He was a general's driver.
My father was in infantry and had very tough time. He did not like talking about the war. He would only comment sometimes during a TV movie about weapons, trucks, tanks. He spoke highly of Studebaker trucks, Willys jeeps, US Lendlease and provisions.

The only item he brought from Germany is a combed shaving razor - "Rotbart Mond Extra D.R.P. angem D.R.G.M.", which he used all his life, which I remember seeing in my childhood and I have it now. I use a similar one - Merkur long handle after years of using cartridges...
Alex

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon May 10, 2021 3:49 am

My grandfather didn´t like to talk about the war. The only thing he told me was that he commanded a group of three "Maultier" trucks (sd.kfz 3) and got into English captivity. My grandmother was located near Berlin at the end of the war and fled with her three children (my father, his sister and another boy who died early) into the forests, where she lived in earth caves for six months, until it was safer to try the journey to her husband´s sister near Rothenburg o.d. Tauber. Like 550 km on foot.

When I used to be a truck driver in the early 90ies I drove to Russia quite e few times. I was always aware of the things that happened in the war and what really amazed me was how friendly most people were. Some of the really old men and women knew few words in German and told me about German soldiers who helped them with food and other things.Though about every family lost at least one person in the war. First words always were: Hitler kaput.
I met really poor people who would share the little food they had and would not accept a no. I had few breakdowns with the truck and there would be always someone to offer his help very quick. (most of the times ex Russian soldiers who got help from German citicens after the Warsw Pact breakdown , when they were left in the lurch by their government and didn´t have food or clothes, let alone the money to get back to their country)
These journeys to Russia changed my mind forever.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon May 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Mon May 10, 2021 1:45 pm

Claus, bruderschaft :cheers:
Alex

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Mon May 10, 2021 2:38 pm

So the big question is......................can Vasily Zaitsev still be alive?????????? I have an old copy of "Red Star" magazine which featured an interview with him. Think it was done in 1982

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:43 pm

Thanks Claus.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Mon May 10, 2021 10:50 pm

WEGUNTER wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:38 pm
So the big question is......................can Vasily Zaitsev still be alive?????????? I have an old copy of "Red Star" magazine which featured an interview with him. Think it was done in 1982
Vasily Zaytsev? I should find and watch that 20 years old Hollywood movie again.
Died in 1991... But who knows? May still be alive and haunting for Hitler in Argentina or Brazil. :D
Alex

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Tue May 11, 2021 9:38 am

When I was in Russian Language school we used to watch Russian films as part of the class. My two favorites were: "Burnt By the Sun" (about the 1938 purges) and a movie called "Tank" about a Russian tank crew during the battle for Stalingrad.