Another hack added to the herd

Here's a place for the group to discuss their other brands of bikes, hobbies, and personal interests not related to Ural & Dnepr Sidecar rigs. But not politics...
Forum rules
Here's the place to chat about off-topic stuff, hobbies, and other toys you got. No political posts, they will be deleted and the poster warned. We're not always "politically correct", but the Steeds site is apolitical.
Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Another hack added to the herd

Post by Geno89074 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Looks Awesome!!
Great Fabrication work you are doing!
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:35 pm

Thank you, Geno. It's all therapy.

When home and finished zinc plating the guts I made for the seat latch and put it back together and staked the tabs. It's done. So, today was make the latch key access plate that goes over the upholstery and hides the key slot. The cover is like the old trunk door lock covers with a pivoting door that swings out of the way to allow the key to be inserted into the lock.

Made it from 0.045 stainless sheet I had. Pretty much hack saw, benchtop belt sander and a couple of files were used to make this. Oh, and the drill press for the holes.

Polished it on the buffer. The stainless had a few scratches that were not obvious before polishing. But then again, it is supposed to be made in 1944 so I think a scratch or two is acceptable.

Here is the finished latch cover. I have not drilled the holes for the two mounting screws yet. I want to see what I can get for stainless wood screws before I commit to a hole size. I also have to narrow it down a bit. But that's easy.
20200730_161631a.jpg
20200730_161654a.jpg
In this borrowed photo from a Russian site, believe it or not, you can just make out the latch cover in the middle top of the seat.
Sidecar3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Well, the seat work took a nasty turn the other day. The bottom cushion was still the original springs and cotton batting under the vinyl upholstery. I had notice a bit of a stench in the hack when I first started working on it. Figured mice had wandered about over the years. Well, I thought I'd pull most of the staple out of the bottom cushion to make it easier for Fran, my upholsterer. I was going to leave one staple in each corner figuring she'd want to see it still upholstered for her reference. As I was pulling staple, the stench thru the 4 vent holes bored in the plywood base was pretty bad. Figured I'd pull the cover because last thing I wanted to do was bring a cushion with a mouse nest into her shop.

Holy Mouseville, Batman!!! I pulled the upholstery off and I'd never seen that much mouse krap in my life. It was like someone dumped a shovel-full of black grass seed on my lift. They had taken the cotton batting, chewed it up and then stuffed it in between the springs. Once that was done, as mice are known to do, they urinated on it for the next 10 years or so. Found 3 very petrified mice corpses in the "fluff" as I vacuumed it all out of the springs.

I had planned to keep the original 1944 plywood and did for the seat back. But it looks like I'll be cutting a new piece for Fran to use as the bottom seat base. I would not feel right bringing that piece of pisswood into her shop. Plus, I would not want it in my tub. It's foul!!!

The springs need some sprucing up. Years ago I stripped a coid bedspring and kept all the straight sections of spring steel. I think I'm going to make new frames from that wire to surround the old springs. I was surprised to find that the original wire frames were not spring steel, but mild steel. Could have been due to the WWII material priorities at the time.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".