tired of looking tdc arrow!!!

Here is where the best of "how to" posts and instructional videos will be posted. No more sticky posts clogging up the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section
Forum rules
This is the place for the best of & "How to" posts, please post your stuff in the General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section and the admins or moderators will move them to this section if they are worthy.
Lee Pape
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: tired of looking tdc arrow!!!

Post by Lee Pape » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Because it was explained on the old Mother Board years ago that with the looser valve clearances on the 750's it was possible to set the valves too tight using the twirl method. If the valves are too tight you may burn a valve or a valve seat.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Must not assume that because the pushrods are free to rotate, that the gap will be correct, or will be set correctly if required, getting the TDC mark in the window will make absolutely sure.

By the sounds of because the 650 gaps are so small, then if both rods are free to rotate then must be near as dammit at TDC. Personally I'm not convinced that that is good enough, but never mind. :D

Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:24 pm

No way did i mean that if the push rod spins the gap is correct, that's a shot in the dark method, what i did say was if the push rods are loose ,not in anyway applying pressure to the rocker, that the valve is totally closed. It has to be because the spring is pulling the valve closed. That being said it is time to make the correct adjustment. Cant see how the gap size, or 650 or 750 effects the adjustment procedure. Thanks Guys a lively discussion, if you feel im a lost cause just sign off as im probably to dense to understand. no biggie!
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:19 pm

hotflash44 wrote:No way did i mean that if the push rod spins the gap is correct, that's a shot in the dark method, what i did say was if the push rods are loose ,not in anyway applying pressure to the rocker, that the valve is totally closed. It has to be because the spring is pulling the valve closed. That being said it is time to make the correct adjustment. Cant see how the gap size, or 650 or 750 effects the adjustment procedure. Thanks Guys a lively discussion, if you feel im a lost cause just sign off as im probably to dense to understand. no biggie!

No one cares.

Sometimes it's easy to get confused, over the simple things.

We've all been there.