2018 GearUp dies while on the road

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 2018 GearUp dies while on the road

Post by Lofty » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 pm

curlysnipe wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:47 pm
I've been having this recurring issue where I'm riding and suddenly my instrument panel LED window flashes red and my bike sputters and dies out. I've been wondering if my battery is taking a charge of if I need a new one. Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
As an FYI: The ignition switches on (some? all?) 2018 model year Urals were subject to a recall. My selling dealer mentioned this when he sent me a replacement in the mail, gratis. As my original switch continues to function correctly, I carry the new spare in my tool bag.

As mentioned, a too-heavy keychain can accelerate switch contact malfunctioning. By way of example, nothing is attached to my ignition key when I'm riding the rig.

Connecting the replacement switch is a plug-and-play affair. A nail set can be used to tap loose (and then retighten) the external chrome lock ring.

If your dealer can't or won't supply a replacement switch under the auspices of a warranty, the linked switch is represented to be compatible with our Urals:
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/ignition ... 0-750.html
A costlier version of the same is sold by Ural of New England.

Good luck.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by phughes » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Lofty wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:08 pm
curlysnipe wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:47 pm
I've been having this recurring issue where I'm riding and suddenly my instrument panel LED window flashes red and my bike sputters and dies out. I've been wondering if my battery is taking a charge of if I need a new one. Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
As an FYI: The ignition switches on (some? all?) 2018 model year Urals were subject to a recall. My selling dealer mentioned this when he sent me a replacement in the mail, gratis. As my original switch continues to function correctly, I carry the new spare in my tool bag.

As mentioned, a too-heavy keychain can accelerate switch contact malfunctioning. By way of example, nothing is attached to my ignition key when I'm riding the rig.

Connecting the replacement switch is a plug-and-play affair. A nail set can be used to tap loose (and then retighten) the external chrome lock ring.

If your dealer can't or won't supply a replacement switch under the auspices of a warranty, the linked switch is represented to be compatible with our Urals:
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/ignition ... 0-750.html
A costlier version of the same is sold by Ural of New England.

Good luck.
Is that switch a plug and play? I may be changing mine out at some point. Mt parking lights sometimes do not stay on, and I determined it is the switch. When I see they are off, all I have to do is turn the key slightly and they go on. I worked it a bit to clean it, and jhavn't had the issue in a while, but a replacement is on my mind.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:36 pm

phughes wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:01 pm
Is that switch a plug and play?
Here's a related thread on the matter:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50381
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up