Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Pittsburgh area

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED

Post by phughes » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:08 pm

Bar None wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:10 pm
I may getting an OD green 2021 cT with the 18" universal spare.

I had a 2012 Yamal with a spare and never had a flat. Then I had a 2015 cT without a spare and has two pusher flats.
:lol: Yes, much like carrying an umbrella. The day you don't carry it, is the day it rains.

User avatar
Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:00 pm

Congratulations on getting your rig back on the road!!
Enjoy!!!
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Pittsburgh area

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED

Post by phughes » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:02 am

Geno89074 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:00 pm
Congratulations on getting your rig back on the road!!
Enjoy!!!
Thanks! Great to have it back.

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Pittsburgh area

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by phughes » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:22 am

I have put 600KM on the engine after replacing the camshaft and lifters. I pulled the valve covers tonight and re-torqued the heads. They needed quite a bit to get back to the specified torque. I then checked the valves. Two were tight, one on each side. The exhaust valve on the right was pretty tight. Two were loose. I set them all to .004" of a tad looser, and took it for a ride. It ran nicely, and some of the odd sounds I had been hearing disappeared, to be replaced by nice tappety loud valve train noise.

I rode it about 10 miles and had it on the highway. It pulled up the hills very well. It felt better than before I adjusted the valves.

I then changed the oil as well, and strained it to be sure I had no chunks. All was good. Very little on the plug too. I will probably recheck the head torque and valve adjustment before the next oil change.


Image

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 8280
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: New Rochelle, New York

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by stagewex » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Sexy Drain Plug.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Pittsburgh area

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by phughes » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:11 pm

stagewex wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:35 pm
Sexy Drain Plug.
:lol:

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 8280
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: New Rochelle, New York

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by stagewex » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:11 pm

No, really. That's kinda what ya want to see. Congrats again on getting it done.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Pittsburgh area

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by phughes » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:24 pm

stagewex wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:11 pm
No, really. That's kinda what ya want to see. Congrats again on getting it done.
Thanks, I was happy to not have much on the drain plug. It was only 600KM, but still.

User avatar
Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Posts: 1465
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 pm

Good to know everything is going well.
I also did strain last time, but thought ... a big magnet from a speaker will grub all derbies in old oil. Well, next time.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMD-3)
40 idle/130 main
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

User avatar
Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:42 am

SWEET!! Now Ride it like you Stole it!!
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

User avatar
Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 am

Having some problems now with my 2014....diagnosis is in progress keeping my fingers crossed....
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Pittsburgh area

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by phughes » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 pm

Geno89074 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 am
Having some problems now with my 2014....diagnosis is in progress keeping my fingers crossed....
Sorry to hear. What is going on?

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Pittsburgh area

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by phughes » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:55 pm

Desantnik-VDV wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:38 pm
Good to know everything is going well.
I also did strain last time, but thought ... a big magnet from a speaker will grub all derbies in old oil. Well, next time.
Thanks. Yeah, I have a couple speaker magnets I use in the garage for a variety of situations. They come in handy for many things.

User avatar
Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by Geno89074 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:37 am

phughes wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 pm
Geno89074 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 am
Having some problems now with my 2014....diagnosis is in progress keeping my fingers crossed....
Sorry to hear. What is going on
It is a reoccurring and random stalling problem which has progressively gotten worse....sometimes while just idling, sometimes while riding the fuel pump just shuts off...I have tested charging system which is good, put in brand new AGM battery and checked compression (165psi both cylinders, cold engine, throttle open with branch tubes removed). I am hoping for a day off work this sunday so I can pull off the seat and look at the relays to see if that may be the problem. The pump itself has good flow this pump was purchased from heindl last year to replace the original one that developed a leak
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:44 pm
Location: Pittsburgh area

Re: Fixed vibration, now have a noise: FIXED 600KM update

Post by phughes » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:58 am

Geno89074 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:37 am
phughes wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 pm
Geno89074 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 am
Having some problems now with my 2014....diagnosis is in progress keeping my fingers crossed....
Sorry to hear. What is going on
It is a reoccurring and random stalling problem which has progressively gotten worse....sometimes while just idling, sometimes while riding the fuel pump just shuts off...I have tested charging system which is good, put in brand new AGM battery and checked compression (165psi both cylinders, cold engine, throttle open with branch tubes removed). I am hoping for a day off work this sunday so I can pull off the seat and look at the relays to see if that may be the problem. The pump itself has good flow this pump was purchased from heindl last year to replace the original one that developed a leak
Electrical gremlins are fun. I had a VW Bug the would randomly shut down. Eventually I found a wire with bad insulation that would ground out on some exposed metal. It was for the ignition, so everything would shut off.

When it happens, have you cycled the kill switch on and off? There is a bad connection somewhere for sure. Good luck.

Post Reply