2019 GU dumped it's transmission oil.

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 2019 GU dumped it's transmission oil.

Post by RC20 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:56 pm

I had kind of interesting experience with Lynwood. A bit of a mix and nothign all bad. I think they can be worked with.

I hit Bellingham (just down the road) and had 800 some miles on mine (Portland pickup) . More warranty related to get the service done (I just don't buy you need to have it done at 500 miles with modern oils). Valve cchekced ? Yea (more like 1500-2000 though) , if the machining is a bit off and leaves stuff then they can seat pretty quick and loose clearance.

They were good to take it in, I just wanted oil change. They did the whole check. Ok, maybe misunderstanding.

Valve gasket tore, hmmm. Ok, get a new one, 3 days latter nada, calls, nada. So I drive up from Bham in my moms car, what is the issue, I need to get on the road and can or can you not get a valve cover gasket. Ummmm, we dropped it. They expedited it and got it in the next day.

They also did not offer compensation drop for the cost of the service (at $350 it was livable). I found side car was not level when I got home so not sure they know how to deal with that or check it.

The valve gasket was not even install, it sagged down at the top but did not leak. I replaced it when I got home and I can see the issue without pins to keep in place getting it not to sag is an issue , its cosmetic, it still seals. Still I am not going to put in a saggy gasket.

They did have the FD filled about right (bare hint of oil coming out the vent). That is a plus as not all know about it.

When I check the valves this spring, (see note) were within spec, tighter than I like but withing the book (I run the exhaust a tad looser than spec) and new valves will get tighter not looser the first X miles. Better to have them on the loose side.

I think they care, careful communications and clear and in my case, mid summer everyone wanting their machines and serviced and they got me in and in the timeline they agree they could do.

note: I picked up 100 rpm at idle with setting of the exhaust valves a tad looser. Heindl feel the same way.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

dale914
Comrade
Comrade

Post by dale914 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 pm

yeah, to get my transmission replaced, it came back with the magnetic drain plug in place of the dipstick (and if I want the dipstick back, I need to schedule an appointment to bring my bike in????) and black 2018 kickstarter and it took them about a month to do it. They said they were busy, so let's schedule out a week and a half, so I did, as I dropped it off "oh we're busy, so it'll take us a while to get to it" (why did I make an appointment?) then they had to return to Redmond 3 times because "they didn't have the right parts" they allege that it stayed garaged the whole time, but the cooling fins and the bolts all came back with quite a bit of oxidation, so I suspect that the bike sat out for a month. I did the first service for the transmission oil and the oil just comes to the threads, so I guess that's enough, but the dipstick spoiled me a bit. IMZ in Redmond said that they are the same transmission from 2018 to 2019, but Gobium says otherwise... I have about 500 miles on the new.... second transmission and it's starting to come around, but doesn't feel as.... good... as the first one. Also there wasn't quite as much slurs in the oil or debris on the drain plugs, but that could have been because it was decided between two???
United forever in friendship and labor.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 am

You do not need the dip stick. I think it is more a pain in the butt than anything else. Drove a Ural for 12 years and was just fine without it. Just fill the trans to bottom of the threads and you are fine. I now own a 2020 and I was also surprised at the lack of sludge metal shavings on my drain plug. Shifting was rough and stiff for the first 500 klicks but now is smooth as butter. Listen to Gobium, he was personally invited to Redmond where he (and Rougaroo) test drove the first 2019 and then took on e of the new bikes apart with Sergei.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:58 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the 2015 or so trany was the same with some miner changes to deal with issues that showed up on some but not all?
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:17 am

RC20 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:58 pm
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the 2015 or so trany was the same with some miner changes to deal with issues that showed up on some but not all?
the basic configuration is the same, but there's been steady improvements in the quality of components. The 2019 having a splined shaft in place of a keyed shaft for the kick starter, is one of the few actual design changes.
The ancillary components have evolved too.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Jpb003

Post by Jpb003 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Not sure if you got your transmission fix yet, but my experience with the 2019 that I tried to pick up in late July was troubling. The bike was brought out running with no leaks. I asked about the kick starter & the salesman demonstrated. Didn't get it started,but I got the idea. Salesman went inside to get paperwork & wife noticed the trans oil leaking out. Picked up a week later & told that the gasket wasn't installed correctly. For some reason it didn't leak until he tried to kick start it. Covered under warranty. Have kick started multiple times. No trans leaks so far. Hope you have it fixed now or that this may help you.