2019 GU dumped it's transmission oil.

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
dale914
Comrade
Comrade

2019 GU dumped it's transmission oil.

Post by dale914 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:28 pm

I came up to my bike this morning to commute and there was a puddle of oil under the transmission case.
I've largely been out of town for the past month, but once a week to every other week I'll start up the bike and drive it around the garage to keep the fluids and tires moving. There was a puddle under it last week but I assumed it was rain since there were rain puddles everywhere.
So today I checked the transmission dipstick and it was dry, then I put about 4oz/2dl? Of oil (I've been using mobile one full synthetic 20w40(or 50, I was on a train when writing) air cooled motorcycle oil) because it's all that I had left, and the dip stick was still dry. It had been a week since its last drive inn the garage and was left up on its center stand.
So, is this common? Is this a typical thing? Its a 2019 gear up, 1200 miles with 700 miles since I last changed the oils.
Is it worth filling up and driving around in hopes that it'll reseal the seals, or will I be removing the transmission to get a new seal on? I didn't take the time to see exactly where it was leaking from, since I was then late for work, so I understand that I may not be providing all necessary info.
Edit: picture a week later
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dale914 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
United forever in friendship and labor.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: 2019 GU dumped it's transmission oil.

Post by Lofty » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Do the 2019s+ have a dipstick for the separate gearbox (i.e., transmission) fill? My 2018 has fill and drain plugs only. Are you sure you're not in fact referring to the engine oil, for which a dipstick is present?

Edit: Or the final drive (on the rear wheel), as Mike suggests below.

Note that the Owner's Manual does recommend 20W-50 engine oil for use in the gearbox (same as for the engine itself).

Leaks are not common, full stop, and should be investigated for proper resolution.
Last edited by Lofty on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:22 pm

What Lofty said.

In the past (at least pre 2019 - don’t know if something was changed) the “full” level for the transmission level is that the oil should be touching the bottom of the threads.

That amount of loss is not normal. I’d venture to guess that the drain plug was not installed properly; too tight, too loose, cross threaded. My experience is the drain plug should be snug + 1/4 turn
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

ArgonV
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by ArgonV » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm

Not normal - My 2016 has a fill and a drain plug for the engine, transmission, and final drive.

My 2016 tans casing developed a crack on the bottom right near the frame in the first 2 months of ownership. I had AF1 Racing in Austin replace it under Ural's warranty. It has been fine ever since. I puttied up the crack, bought 3 quarts on trans oil to store in the trunk, and drove it there!
2016 Ural Retro Classic

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm

Is this possibly about the final drive case?

4oz US = 118cc
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:32 pm

I am as well confused. It is easier to understand tow terms like Gearbox and Final Drive.

Either added 4oz of synthetic engine oil to the Gearbox, or engine oil, which is too slick to Final Drive?
And yet, Final Drive has a dipstick. Gearbox doesn't.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Yes BUT, he had no other available.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Yep, understood. Visual or a light air pressure check should tell.
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (Боевая Машина Десанта)

The rest is just history.

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Dale, we(me at least) need more info/clarification...please :? Dipstick on an 019's transmission? Previously only the eng and FD had dipsticks. Trans holds a qt of eng oil so if completely empty there should be a rather noticeable oil trail/stain on/under the trans and puddle on the floor. Any oil stains on the rear wheel from a FD shaft seal leaking? Or signs of the FD vent blowing out oil? Sorry I'm not yet convinced your puddle is from the trans leaking.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

dale914
Comrade
Comrade

Post by dale914 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:45 pm

So, for clarification, my 2019 has an engine, fd, and transmission dipstick. I am 100% certain that the transmission lost it's oil. I added the 4 oz (probably actually 20w50, it was what I had left from the oil change) because it's all that I had at home. There was about 10 inches wide, by 4 feet long puddle of oil, last weeks puddle was about a 4 foot circle, but could have green rain, it was a rainy day. I checked the drain plug that I previously set with a torque wrench, it was snug and kept oil for several months prior. The FD breather also releases oil, and the FD is also usually wet after rides. And when I refer to the transmission, I refer to the metal box between the engine and the black rubber donut.
I don't know if it's completely empty, but the 4oz that I added didn't result in any showing on what I call the dipstick, which is an indexed stem coming off of the bottom of the filler bolt
United forever in friendship and labor.
19 Ural Gear Up
05 Triumph Rocket 3
04 Honda CBR F4i
04 Honda Shadow
00 Yamaha VMAX

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:11 pm

dale914 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:45 pm
So, for clarification, my 2019 has an engine, fd, and transmission dipstick. I am 100% certain that the transmission lost it's oil. I added the 4 oz (probably actually 20w50, it was what I had left from the oil change) because it's all that I had at home. There was about 10 inches wide, by 4 feet long puddle of oil, last weeks puddle was about a 4 foot circle, but could have green rain, it was a rainy day. I checked the drain plug that I previously set with a torque wrench, it was snug and kept oil for several months prior. The FD breather also releases oil, and the FD is also usually wet after rides. And when I refer to the transmission, I refer to the metal box between the engine and the black rubber donut.
I don't know if it's completely empty, but the 4oz that I added didn't result in any showing on what I call the dipstick, which is an indexed stem coming off of the bottom of the filler bolt
Drain your transmission. Fill per the manual. Don’t over tighten the drain plug. Keep an eye on it.

DON’T RIDE IT until you know you have the proper amount of oil in the transmission.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Post by WEGUNTER » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Previous mention of a 2016 with a cracked transmission case. Refill the trans with oil and then maybe coat the case with talcum powder and you might be able to verify if and where you have a crack. Do not drive it until you get a qt of 20w/50w in the trans. Dave. I sent you a pm. Got your text.

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:57 pm

OK, thanks Dale ya convinced me it's the trans leaking. For me my next step would be drain the trans and inspect the washer on the drain plug for scars, scratches, burrs, bends etc. It's not a pipe threaded plug so it's the washer that does the sealing not the bolt threads. It's alum so if scarred, it's toast and needs replacing. DO NOT just monster torque the plug or you'll bugger the alum case threads. From there I'd thoroughly scrub/clean the outside of the trans case, let dry then dust it well with talc powder, baby powder, baking soda/flour...whatever ya got handy. Fill the trans w/20W-50 conventional non-syn motor oil and then go ride it till fully up to temp and park it. Any leaks will leave a trail from it's source. If it's not just the drain plug washer I'd call Ural NW up in Ferndale and make an appointment. If it's not something simple like a bad drain plug washer, it's prolly a warranty claim.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Clean up the housing and using LED see if you can ID any oil. Its going to be pretty clear so hard but the traces are there. You can even throw some powder of one sort or another on it and see where it sticks (or not, ie at the bottom)

If its all on the bottom and a drip on the plug, whalla, either the plug or a crack down low.

If not, then its a seal or a crack. Clean it, fill it and see if you can id the oil locale.

Run it around and then park, put a pan under it to assist in seeing where the drip shows up. Floor dry in the pan would help localize it.

Sounds like a hell of a leak, ergo crack or the plug. Seal would show when driving not sitting (too cold to try to look at what level they are at, but 4 oz should have you back up, sounds more like bottom.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Watch the drain plug torque... its aluminum plug on aluminum trans housing. :o

Wouldn't worry so much about the FD but just keep an eye on it. First service my FD oil was so dirty, ever since I changed it the fluid is so clear that I can't read it on the dipstick... its so annoying. My FD leaked as well early on from the front. At first I thought maybe the plug because thats where the oil would collect at but it was ok. Then I thought the breather but its been dry. So then I thought maybe the front seal but its stopped leaking and everything is ok now. I was gonna change the FD fluid sooner because there is so little of it in there but its been so clear. I'll probably change it next oil change because its so inexpensive. :?

I can't tell whether my 2004 Z71 leaks more oil than my 2018 Ural.... its a close race. I just throw down lots of cardboard and call it even. :P

-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"