2019 engine light fault codes.

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

2019 engine light fault codes.

Post by windmill » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:22 pm

I just confirmed it with Jason Rae at IMWA, the engine code flash function does work on the 2019's, the difference is it will only display a flash code when keyed if it's an active fault. If the MIL light comes on because the system detected a fault, but the fault was just momentary, the system won't store the code, and display it.

Mil light + no fault code = no fault, and the MIL light will clear itself in time.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Pterodactyl

Re: 2019 engine light fault codes.

Post by Pterodactyl » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Good news. Spousal Unit has a lite MIL and no codes. This clears up why.
Kevin
God Bless America!
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Great to know, thanks. Does anybody know what the OBDII connector type is on the 19's ?...my MIL comes and goes, was thinking it would be great to hook it up to a reader.
2019 Ural gear up

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Goliath wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:09 pm
Great to know, thanks. Does anybody know what the OBDII connector type is on the 19's ?...my MIL comes and goes, was thinking it would be great to hook it up to a reader.
At present the 2nd generation EFI is only OBD1 compliant, so only the more basic information will be available with an OBD reader. I don't know how it's configured, but there will be an OBD adapter available from Ural. I don't know any details.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018/20 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 pm

Great work: I tried to pull the codes on mine and got nada. That explains it, though not the logic.

Any reasoning why they would not store the fault? Storing it tells what is going on and assessment of how serious and need for action or ignore.

Or have it ignore an intermittent and not output the MIL as its not relevant.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:59 pm

RC20 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:50 pm
Great work: I tried to pull the codes on mine and got nada. That explains it, though not the logic.

Any reasoning why they would not store the fault? Storing it tells what is going on and assessment of how serious and need for action or ignore.

Or have it ignore an intermittent and not output the MIL as its not relevant.
Those decisions are made by Keihin, not Ural. They probably have reasons that make sense to them.
Barry

2018/20 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:26 pm

I don't see any reason that Ural can't request changes.

Same with the FI mapping, yes it works and meets emissions but we need a bit of cleanup on the low temp end.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 pm

RC20 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:26 pm
I don't see any reason that Ural can't request changes.

Same with the FI mapping, yes it works and meets emissions but we need a bit of cleanup on the low temp end.
The mapping is done by a 3rd party that specializes in doing it for OE manufacturers and professional race teams. Any changes would require EPA and EEA recertification. All very expensive and time consuming.

Deciding how a system operates isn't done haphazardly, choices are made for many reasons, they won't always please everyone, and trying to do so is a bottomless rabbit hole.
Barry

2018/20 M70

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 pm

Already been explained ... it was Ural's decision to stick with an OBD1 setup, and the codes that can be report are limited ... think of it as more like "Only Basic Diagnosis". That, and even OBDII can only report what the system is capable of reporting, and that depends on what sensors are installed, and whether even those reporting functions are enabled in the computer.

PS - when it comes to mapping, ya ... that can be an expensive change for the manufacturer. Not saying there's not ways around it though. I've got a handy dandy aftermarket black box on my Royal Star that gives me all sorts of options not available with the stock setup. Same with my Olds Aurora. There, it all depends on whether there's a market for the device, and let's face it, we're not talking a huge bunch of profit potential here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:34 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:56 pm
Already been explained ... it was Ural's decision to stick with an OBD1 setup, and the codes that can be report are limited ... think of it as more like "Only Basic Diagnosis". That, and even OBDII can only report what the system is capable of reporting, and that depends on what sensors are installed, and whether even those reporting functions are enabled in the computer.

PS - when it comes to mapping, ya ... that can be an expensive change for the manufacturer. Not saying there's not ways around it though. I've got a handy dandy aftermarket black box on my Royal Star that gives me all sorts of options not available with the stock setup. Same with my Olds Aurora. There, it all depends on whether there's a market for the device, and let's face it, we're not talking a huge bunch of profit potential here.
Yeah, I doubt the aftermarket is going to be very interested in such small numbers. Ural was was taking a big risk offering the off road map to dealers for the OE Electrojet system, the EPA slapped Harley Davidson down real hard, and fined them $12 million dollars, and we all know about the $14.7 billion it cost Volkswagen.

The cold start and run manners of the 2019 is way better than the carb or Electrojet rigs, and it takes me longer for me to put on my gear than it does to warm up, so it hasn't been an issue for me.

Hell, I can even cold kickstart it first try in wet, 40 degree weather wearing rubber boots.
Barry

2018/20 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:29 pm

This breaks down into two areas.

1. Codes, its not a number of code issues, its how fast the ECU see's a code and then sends the signal to the Display. That is simply a program parameter and decision that I believe is a mistake. You can store those to the memory limit and not put it to the display it occurred. It may be as well its too tight a parameter that needs to be time delayed to allow to clear.
Clearly its not fatal, it is annoying and there is nothign wrong with bringing it up

2. Flat Spot: That in and of itself may violate emissions. Yes I can avoid it, I don't have a real problem doing so now that I know its there.

What you are missing is the fact that I was able to get up, going and down the street 300 feet before it hit. The map above it was fine, the map past it was fine. The complete lock up loss of power was extremely bad. If I had been on the main drag accelerating in traffic it could well have been unfortunate.
Most people are not going to see what I did as I was at 20 degrees when it occurred. So the map was totally hosed at that point. The worst occurred on the residential street, the rest took 1/4 mile to clear up completely . I was in a position to ensure I had a clear lane to the rear and duck off roads if it did not clear but it acted like it was getting better and did.

I don't know what the break over temp is. The short stutter was at warmer temps (call it 55+).

My take is that its a temp spot, warm enough and temp keep building, cold enough and it does not reach it or you drop it back through it once you start moving.

If it will move smoothly you have every right to expect it will continue to do so.

It does not mean I can't and have adjusted to the oddity.

But its not normal and it may be an issue for Ural to be looking at. Nothing is perfect out of the box, I don't blame Ural nor hold umbrage there is an issue. Saying nothing can be done is a different matter or conjecturing its not an issue EPA wise is equally wrong, EPA techs or the mapping tech (Kehein or ?) could tell you that.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

cjlyth

Post by cjlyth » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:27 pm

This engine light issue is strange, for the last 500 miles, when the light was on it wouldn't read. Dealer said it was something vague with the throttle and presumably they fixed it. The light just came on again today and it actually read a code! This time it was just 35, overheated. Glad it works at least sometimes!
2019 Gear Up - my daily driver

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:42 pm

Its not that it does not work, its how it works. One one hand its a nuisance and the other its an annoyance in it does not tell you what even the nuisance is.

If you have the program and the connector you can reset it via a laptop (desktop with a long enough cable) .

Will keep an eye on it and see what the program costs. I have the laptop.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

windmill

Post by windmill » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:15 pm

RC20 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:42 pm
Will keep an eye on it and see what the program costs. I have the laptop.
The dealer tool will be for sale some time in the near future and will be $500+.
Barry

2018/20 M70

cjlyth

Post by cjlyth » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:20 am

I am looking forward to getting that tool when it's here!
2019 Gear Up - my daily driver