New Ural pulls to right, tried everything, now what?

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Phoenix63

Re: New Ural pulls to right, tried everything, now what?

Post by Phoenix63 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:13 pm

I'm having the same problem with my new 2019 Gear Up. I've had it three weeks and it has been to the dealer twice in that time for adjustments. If I'm not actively pushing left to keep the bike straight, it pulls right. My local dealer is new(ish) to the Ural world (been selling them 2-3 years, and it's not their primary product line). I really don't think they know what they're doing and I've lost confidence in their ability to resolve the issues.

Since I'm new to the Ural world, I have no context for what a correctly set up rig should feel like. I like to find an experienced Ural rider in my area (NW suburbs of Chicago) with a correctly set up rig to ride my bike and tell me if I'm crazy or not. As far as I can tell, from my research, it shouldn't take an active effort to push the handlebars left to keep the bike from pulling right... right?

I don't want to pay to have another dealer set my rig up correctly--there's only one other shop in my area that works on Urals.

Any suggestions? Thanks, guys!
Sheri

2002 DRZ400
2015 BMW F700 GS
Looking for a Ural after I get my dog this summer. :D

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
"Give me chocolate and no one gets hurt" -Me (most days)
Best rides so far: Namibia and South Africa (Fall 2016)

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by RC20 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:01 am

Heidel down in Ohio.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

cookiemech
Party Member
Party Member

Post by cookiemech » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:15 am

Heindl (in case you're Googling it)
2014 Ural Gear-Up

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 am

The suggestions related to tire pressure or the sidecar wheel brake needing adjustment... that's the way the beast rides. It's invisible to my feel now after 12 years but yeah, give my old girl throttle and it pulls slightly to the right. No throttle and it'll straighten or for a moment pull to the left. If my brakes are not in sync with eachother then during a hard braking... kinda the same thing. I can remember my very first ride from the dealer brand-new riding 100 miles home. Weird feeling.

You guys with the 2019's that are feeling this... is it your first sidecar rig and/or Ural. Easy to see if it was one individual and bad dealer prep. But seems there are a few of you with the same observation.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm

I read it as he's constantly having to push on the right 'bar to keep it straight, not because of accelerating or slowing. Is that right? (Phoenix)

My understanding is sidecar toe in makes the sidecar wheel try to describe a circle around the bike, that's a sideways force against the bike and makes the whole thing track straight.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

treeman1942

Post by treeman1942 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:17 pm

Yes, my 2019 Ger Up pulls slightly to the right, however, not all the time. I'm beginning to think the roadway surface is the main culprit. In reality, I love my 2019 Gear Up, just no complaints. My main concern is always Pugsley's comfort. He is now 12 years old and failing, much like me. 1700 miles, zero oil usage, leakage, etc. What's not to like?
2019 Ural Gear Up, OD Green
1977 BMW R100/7 (original owner)
2014 Burgman 400/A
2008 Piaggio MP3250
Whizzer Motorbike

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
Will Rogers

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm beginning to think the roadway surface is the main culprit.
Definitely is a candidate! If road is tilting sideways rig wants to run off in the direction of the downhill slope. This can cause some really weird sh!t to go on. And that adverse camber on a bend can be a s0d; road surface leans away from the inside curve of a bend, so you're fighting the rig around the bend AND against the camber.
Mike H

Phoenix63

Post by Phoenix63 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:25 pm
I read it as he's constantly having to push on the right 'bar to keep it straight, not because of accelerating or slowing. Is that right? (Phoenix)

My understanding is sidecar toe-in makes the sidecar wheel try to describe a circle around the bike, that's a sideways force against the bike and makes the whole thing track straight.
Yep. If I'm not constantly pushing left, the rig quickly drifts right.

And not to be picky about gender, just thought I'd let you know I'm a chick AND a first time side car owner. Which means I don't know what I don't know, and I'm trying to learn. :D

It's better than it was before the dealer adjusted it the first time (after apparently not checking anything on the 2019 demo rig I bought before I rode it home). But, it sure doesn't track straight on level ground. I had the same thoughts about road conditions and trying to make sure I'm aware of the camber of the road and how it impacts the steering. I'm researching training classes (because that's how I roll...gotta know everything about a new venture and learning from experts is a big part of that)... there aren't any sidecar classes that I've found in the Chicago area.
Sheri

2002 DRZ400
2015 BMW F700 GS
Looking for a Ural after I get my dog this summer. :D

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
"Give me chocolate and no one gets hurt" -Me (most days)
Best rides so far: Namibia and South Africa (Fall 2016)

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:02 pm

should not pull right when on level surface at constant speed
could be the side car brake dragging
on page 5-11 of my owners manual there are photos and instructions how to set the parking brake
https://www.imz-ural.com/blog/2016/07/0 ... ust-brakes

could be toe-in or lean-out. page 5-25 of the owners manual shows a good diagram 3mm-8mm for 2wd is spec from factory for toe-in (1/8" - 3/8")
with the side car frame level to ground on flat-level surface. Some here recommend more
lean out should be set after toe-in 1-2 degrees typical I think this accounts for road camber
good video on youtube of rig being setup at factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxq2pExzwmQ

a metal stud or straight piece of aluminum or angle iron with bungee straps can also be used

mine goes straight at constant speed, pulls right when accelerating, pulls left when braking
Seans R3W damper minimized this quite a bit got rid of low speed front wheel waggle over rough roads

Welcome to the Forums Phoenix
Lots of good info here

Enjoy your nice new Rig!!
-Geno
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:36 pm

here is another really good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxq2pExzwmQ

Good folks at Heindel
What I did differently: Checked lean out on the rear wheel, don't know why he checked it at the front in video?? maybe verification of 1-2 degrees??

For lean out if you hang a string with a small washer or nut from the outside (near/clutch side) of the rear pusher tire from the top, measuring 1"
at the bottom of the tire near the rim should be 2-3 degrees of lean out
2014 Ural Patrol

Who's Ur Grandaddy ?

Post by Who's Ur Grandaddy ? » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:12 pm

I bought my gear up new in 2013 from a well established dealer. The setup sucked . The front dogleg had 1/8" clearance from the cylinder fins , sidecar wheel leaned in 1 1/2" at top, the rig would not take a righthand turn at any speed without flying the chair.
I started from scratch and did my own setup . Toe in, leveling the chair , adjusting the lean out. Test riding and fine tuning the tracking.

Learn to do your own wrenching . You care more about your bike and safety than most dealer mechanics do. Do a search on this site and set it up yourself.Many members have posted threads on sidecar setup. Learn from others . Ask questions . Take your time , double check your work . You can do it !!!
john
2013 FF gear-up
Mr Cob bulletproof skid plate
Powerarc ignition
Raceway titanium carb needles 4th notch from top
132 1/2 main ... 42 pilot ... air/fuel 1 1/2 turns out
7/64 drilled slides
Leftka III type airbox
Modtop mufflers

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Sorry phoenix didn't notice! (Altho Sheri is a bit of a giveaway) :oops:
Mike H

pbrowne

Post by pbrowne » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm going to drop off my Ural at Ural Pittsburghon August 9th and let them have a go at getting the outfit going straight.

I suspect that there's something other than alignment that needs correcting. A couple of days ago, on a flat and straight road, I did a test. It pulled to the right. I switched into 2WD and it pulled to the left.

I'm going to relevel the chair front to back and side to side, reduce toe-in from current 7/8" and set lean-out to 2 deg. and see what happens.

Pittsburgh is 3 hours away, Heindl in Ohio 7 hours. Ural Pittsburg seems to have garnered good comments. That will give me an excuse to try out my new Kendon trailer.
Shepherdstown, WV USA
2018 Ural GearUp "Arwen'
Previously owned: Suzuki Burgman 650 with Texas Sidecar, BMW R1200RT, BMW F650GS, BMW K1200LT, Honda Nighthawk 750, Honda Hawk, Honda Pacific Coast

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:47 pm

And not to be picky about gender, just thought I'd let you know I'm a chick AND a first time side car owner. Which means I don't know what I don't know, and I'm trying to learn. :D
Missed that as well, I am an old guy with gobs of experience on all sorts of stuff and I am in full learning mode. If there is one gender aspects its the upper body strength. I am getting muscles back I had atrophy as it were (limited to 25 lbs lifting) -

You are going the right way.

I was stuck with what I could pull off and I got myself into binds pretty fast. Managed to get out of them but hairy doing so. Worst for me is the sudden go left on decel. Fixes to that but I got caught out with the wrong reflexes for it 3 or 4 times. Its a work in progress.

My take is that to get competent on a side car is the most challenge equipment learning curve I have been into.

Washington State requires a Side Car endorsement so depending on where you live its a possibility as there are schools there.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

pbrowne

Post by pbrowne » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:17 pm

I went and checked everything again -- chair level (it was not), toe-in 1/2"(was 1 1/2"), lean-out 3 degrees (was 4, tried 2 as well), no drag on sidecar brake. Still pulling to the right.

Now it will be up to a dealer to fix; everything is correct; I'm now out of my depth.

I can deal with it until I can get it to Ural Pittsburgh next month. It just makes it hard to do a friendly wave to other motorcyclists as it's scary to take my left hand off of the grips!
Shepherdstown, WV USA
2018 Ural GearUp "Arwen'
Previously owned: Suzuki Burgman 650 with Texas Sidecar, BMW R1200RT, BMW F650GS, BMW K1200LT, Honda Nighthawk 750, Honda Hawk, Honda Pacific Coast