Led Headlight

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
jcbigears
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Led Headlight

Post by jcbigears » Sat May 25, 2019 7:59 am

Hi all,
After much consideration and advice from this website, I decided to upgrade my headlight to LED using an all-in-one unit. The one I chose was the Narva 72104 https://www.narva.com.au/products/72104.
Now, this is all "in my opinion" so please feel free to disagree. The reason that swayed me for this was that the standard headlight design, even a high-quality one, relies on a single point of light being reflected and bounced to get a good beam. No matter how good the quality of the lens and the bulb, it's never going to be as good as a purpose-built unit. There will always be glare and stray photons. An all-in-one LED unit can have multiple light sources and also multiple lenses to give the rider the best beam.
I'm pleased to report this was the easiest improvement yet! The screw at the bottom of the light can is removed, and the existing headlight lifted away. There are two bulbs, one of which connects with an H4 connector, and the other "parking" lights with a ground (black) and power (yellow) wire. These are easily removed.
IMG_3120.jpg
The clips holding the reflector into the ring were exciting to get out. Push down on one side to unhook it from under the curved edge of the ring and watch where it lands when it springs out.
IMG_3118.jpg
The new unit fits perfectly, and the clips inserted.
IMG_3121.jpg
The H4 connector clips on without adaptation. The "AMP" connector was then cut off, and the blue and white wires joined together and attached to the yellow wire. The grey wire connects to the ground.
IMG_3132.jpg
And what do I get? It all works, and works incredibly well. The "position" light is a horizontal bar, but with the engine on the headlight shines a sharp bright beam. The highbeam is perfect. I'm very happy with it.
IMG_3127.jpg
IMG_3128.jpg
IMG_3129.jpg
IMG_3133.jpg
IMG_3134.jpg
It then began to rain so I could only take these photos down my driveway tonight. I'll take it to a wall when the weather clears.
I can understand the attractiveness of installing a H4 LED bulb +/- a new reflector for it's simplicity, but this really wasn't hard at all.
What do you all think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Ranger, left hand sidecar, underside of the equator

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Led Headlight

Post by atlasheating » Sat May 25, 2019 8:40 am

I am impressed but: Wow those things cost a pretty penny. 1 little rock could ruin your whole day....

jcbigears

Post by jcbigears » Sat May 25, 2019 9:48 am

atlasheating wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:40 am
I am impressed but: Wow those things cost a pretty penny. 1 little rock could ruin your whole day....
"Virtually unbreakable polycarbonate lens"

Fingers crossed as well

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sat May 25, 2019 1:51 pm

jcbigears wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:59 am
What do you all think?
The real test will occur when riding at night, with oncoming traffic.

If any number of drivers flash their high beams at you, you'll want to adjust the aim of your new headlight. If they continue to flash their headlights, and you can't (or don't want to) aim your new LED light any lower, you may have to consider reinstalling the OEM headlight lens.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Sun May 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Leave the headlight nacelle just loose enough that you can deflect if up/down as required; the "aim" will vary with the load you're carrying.

Personally... I'm an H4 fan; I feel the down-road light pattern is superior to LEDs.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sun May 26, 2019 4:07 pm

I see some foreground hot spots that would be of concern to me. They draw ones gaze, causeing ones vision to adjust to them, and diminish the ability to see whats in the dimmer distance. Hard to say as images can be deceptive, but I threw out a headlight that produced similar results.
IMG_3133 (1).jpg

Not a very good image as the road is wet and crowned, but the H4 + LED I ended up using doesn't have those hot spots, or artifacts (shadows) often encountered.

Low
IMG_3007 (2).JPG
High
IMG_3009.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

jcbigears

Post by jcbigears » Sun May 26, 2019 4:15 pm

I’ll post some better photos when I can. It’s pouring with rain down here at the moment and will do all week...

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:39 am

windmill wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:07 pm
I see some foreground hot spots that would be of concern to me. They draw ones gaze, causeing ones vision to adjust to them, and diminish the ability to see whats in the dimmer distance. Hard to say as images can be deceptive, but I threw out a headlight that produced similar results.

...snip....
I agree with Windmill. I had a LED headlight and it really sucked unless on Hi all the time. It gets pitch black out here in the mountains, zero street lights and so on.

I installed a 5000K 35w Hi/Lo HID in a Hella glass. It works better than H4 IQ, and has zero "hot spots" as Windmill calls them. It is also about $80-$90 total (depending where you get the 2 parts) which less than 25% of the Narva deal. I found the HID to be much better than the LED headlight.

JMO

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

Mikey
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Mikey » Mon May 27, 2019 12:21 pm

JC, let us know how it works for you. As you said, it's your opinion, I'd love to hear you views.
Posted via tablet or phone so please ignore any odd words (autocorrect).
2017 Gear-up Forest fog

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Mon May 27, 2019 12:30 pm

jcbigears wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:48 am
atlasheating wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:40 am
"Virtually unbreakable polycarbonate lens"

Fingers crossed as well
You might consider buying a lens protector from Hemisphere Offroad (www.hemisphereoffroad.com). Excellent products and MUCH cheaper than replacing the light, in my humble opinion.
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon May 27, 2019 1:04 pm

siberman1 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:39 am

I agree with Windmill. I had a LED headlight and it really sucked unless on Hi all the time. It gets pitch black out here in the mountains, zero street lights and so on.

I installed a 5000K 35w Hi/Lo HID in a Hella glass. It works better than H4 IQ, and has zero "hot spots" as Windmill calls them. It is also about $80-$90 total (depending where you get the 2 parts) which less than 25% of the Narva deal. I found the HID to be much better than the LED headlight.

JMO

YMMV
I looked at HIDs but those few correctly engineered for a H4 seemed excessively complicated with their external ballasts, moving or dual bulbs, lifespan not much better than a Halogen, and expensive.
Some that the cheaper ones technically fit a H4 but totally compromise the beam patterns, and glare horribly without any meaningful difference between high and low beam.

The Phillips design H4 LED bulbs function the same as a halogen bulb in a H4 reflector, and don't compromise either beam pattern.
beam-pattern-demo-g7-700x700.jpg
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70