LED light bulb upgrade

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
jcbigears
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

LED light bulb upgrade

Post by jcbigears » Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 am

Hi all,

I have a 2016 Ranger with the sidecar on the left (and on the other side of the hemisphere to most of you as well). I've only recently bought it and am slowly putting together some upgrades. One of the things I wanted to do early was upgrade the lights, specifically for safety. I thought I'd put together a post of photos as I went in case anyone else ever travels down this path. This post may be a waste of time, and it may belong in a different section, but here we are. It's election night down here and there's NOTHING of the idiot box except for painfully slow vote counting updates. At the end I have a question for you all.

The kit I bought was from Uralne https://www.uralne.com/led-bulb-kit

Now, the installation of the actual bulbs is quite straightforward. Unscrewing the covers and replacing the bulbs with the LEDs I don't think demands much of an explanation. The bulbs come in a box that clearly tells you which one goes where. I applied a smidge of dielectric grease around each bulb. My only word of advice for this stage is DO NOT panic if you try the indicators and they either flash quickly, don't flash at all or come on like hazard lights all at once. It all works out after the next stage.

The instructions for the next stage require you to remove the headlight. Big breath. This has been described as a daunting experience for many who have ventured into the "bird's nest", so I was hesitant, to say the least. A 13mm socket applied to both bolts either side of the headlight and once they're removed, the headlight can be squeezed forwards. Once loose, it comes out far enough that you can trace the wires coming from the rear to its connector, and then once disconnected, the headlight is put to one side. Here you can see my first problem - clearly an underused bike. Clean as buggery.
IMG_3072.jpg
The flasher relay to remove is the big blue box in the background. It's best done by removing the screw at the top of the fusebox. Move the handlebars to point the front wheel hard right and you should see it there. Remove the screw, take off the relay and its mount, and then screw the screw back in.
IMG_3073.jpg
Next, reach under the dashboard and gently pull down on the entire flasher warning light. It comes out as shown below.
IMG_3075.jpg
Pull off both wires (double purple and black), and attach as per the instructions to the red wire of the supplied small "loom".
IMG_3077.jpg
The next thing is to find the grounding point of the speedo. Here it is.
IMG_3079.jpg
I found the next step easiest to do by pulling off the group of connectors to the grounding point and then attaching the next wire to the group and then reinstalling the whole lot.
IMG_3080.jpg
The final two wires attach to the original bulb, and then the lot are sent back to the dashboard.
IMG_3082.jpg
IMG_3084.jpg
I also put a zip tie around the wiring loom to the relay and connected it to the speedo cable to hold it in place.

My last word of advice regarding the headlight reinstallation. I found the headlight very tight to get back into place with the rubber grommets, and the grommet would twist and fold over on itself while trying to get the holes lined up. A simple solution was to place a flat head screw driver between the headlight can and the mount. Twisting the screwdriver opened up the space just a smidge and allowed the grommet to flatten out again.
IMG_3087.jpg
Job done. Pleased to see all the lights working as intended and sharp and bright.

What's next, I hear none of you ask. LED dashboard and speedo lights (for no good reason) and an LED headlight upgrade. So here's my question: should I get a new Hella reflector unit and an LED bulb to suit, or a complete LED unit that comes as one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Ranger, left hand sidecar, underside of the equator

lendrinkard

Re: LED light bulb upgrade

Post by lendrinkard » Sat May 18, 2019 10:20 am

Nice post. Well done :)
2012 Gear up
130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, all LED lights

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 am

jcbigears wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 am
should I get a new Hella reflector unit and an LED bulb to suit, or a complete LED unit that comes as one?
Most of the unit led headlights are garbage. The rave reviews about them are from folks who obviously never compared their beam pattern to a certified headlight, or face it coming down the road. They appear "brighter", but actually reduce how far one can see in the distance.

There are some good name brand ones like Trucklite, but they are fairly expensive, There are many cheap "Amazon" knockoffs may look like them but don't work like them, and many LED bulbs for H4 reflectors are also poorly engineered and don't work correctly. They cause excessive glare for oncoming traffic, have poor light distribution being too bright up close, and project less light in the distance.

I opted for the Hella H4 with Auxbeam NF-S1 after much research, trial and error because they are correctly engineered to work together and maintain the proper beam pattern, cost less than a quality unit led, and the Hella has a glass lens rather than plastic.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Trumpetwasher

Post by Trumpetwasher » Sat May 18, 2019 1:07 pm

I just changed the bulb to a fanless H4 LED.
2016 cT Flat Black Custom (Black Tractor)
Black Power Train
3.89 Final Drive
Reverse Hand Shift
Sidecar Power Panel
Handlebar Power Outlet
Light Tint Aviation Grade Windscreens
Deluxe Seating
Sidecar Side Panels
Armrests
Double-Spring Saddle
Santamaria Foot Rest
Custom Nose Art
Dietz Sidecar Headlight (Night Blaster 5000)
Dnepr Leg Shields
XMT-MOTO Hand Guards
All LED lights.

Trumpetwasher

Post by Trumpetwasher » Sat May 18, 2019 1:13 pm

mmexport1511312546401.jpg
In fact, these. They work really well with the existing lens. In fact, I have another headlight with the stock lens mounted in the sidecar.
US $18.72 43%OFF | 12V H4 LED Car Bulbs 6500K 10000LM H7 LED Headlight Fanless H1 H8 H9 Auto Lamp 72W CSP Chips H11 9005 9006 HB3 HB4 Led Headlamp
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/HQXN87q
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Trumpetwasher on Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Power Train
3.89 Final Drive
Reverse Hand Shift
Sidecar Power Panel
Handlebar Power Outlet
Deluxe Seating
Sidecar Side Panels
Armrests
Double-Spring Saddle
Santamaria Foot Rest
Custom Nose Art
Dnepr Leg Shields
XMT-MOTO Hand Guards
All LED lights.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun May 19, 2019 10:09 am

Mine got changed to a unit that will take an (replaceable!) H4 bulb and I use a high brightness brand.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Trumpetwasher

Post by Trumpetwasher » Sun May 19, 2019 2:19 pm

I like the look of the stock crystal Jute J703F-S lens. I had a couple of Dietz 7" bullet lights so I put one on the sidecar with this in it and changed to LED.

http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categorie ... ens-7.html
Black Power Train
3.89 Final Drive
Reverse Hand Shift
Sidecar Power Panel
Handlebar Power Outlet
Deluxe Seating
Sidecar Side Panels
Armrests
Double-Spring Saddle
Santamaria Foot Rest
Custom Nose Art
Dnepr Leg Shields
XMT-MOTO Hand Guards
All LED lights.

Trumpetwasher

Post by Trumpetwasher » Sun May 19, 2019 2:26 pm

BTW, if you don't mind doing a little wiring, superbrightleds has the turn signal filter for $4.95. MDK-1
Black Power Train
3.89 Final Drive
Reverse Hand Shift
Sidecar Power Panel
Handlebar Power Outlet
Deluxe Seating
Sidecar Side Panels
Armrests
Double-Spring Saddle
Santamaria Foot Rest
Custom Nose Art
Dnepr Leg Shields
XMT-MOTO Hand Guards
All LED lights.

jcbigears

Post by jcbigears » Tue May 21, 2019 8:24 am

Thank you

jcbigears

Post by jcbigears » Tue May 21, 2019 8:28 am

Trumpetwasher wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:26 pm
BTW, if you don't mind doing a little wiring, superbrightleds has the turn signal filter for $4.95. MDK-1
Yes I saw that only after I’d already bought the kit. Sigh.

jcbigears

Post by jcbigears » Tue May 21, 2019 8:29 am

Trumpetwasher wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:07 pm
I just changed the bulb to a fanless H4 LED.
Can I ask which one? There seems to be a million of them out there. Also did you have any trouble fitting it in the can?

jcbigears

Post by jcbigears » Tue May 21, 2019 8:32 am

I forgot to add to the original post that I was able to pop the cover off the original relay and put it on the new one, which then allowed me to screw it back in position.

Trumpetwasher

Post by Trumpetwasher » Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am

US $22.66 31%OFF | 12V H4 LED Car Bulbs 6500K 10000LM H7 LED Headlight Fanless H1 H8 H9 Auto Lamp 72W CSP Chips H11 9005 9006 HB3 HB4 Led Headlamp
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bUzlqmZi
Black Power Train
3.89 Final Drive
Reverse Hand Shift
Sidecar Power Panel
Handlebar Power Outlet
Deluxe Seating
Sidecar Side Panels
Armrests
Double-Spring Saddle
Santamaria Foot Rest
Custom Nose Art
Dnepr Leg Shields
XMT-MOTO Hand Guards
All LED lights.

Marc

Post by Marc » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm

troubleshooting some electrical issues on my 2014 patrol using the diagrams supplied by an other member. (very clean/clear diagram by the way).
-1: the flasher indicator light (bulb)is using the opposite side flasher bulbs to go to ground. Intentionnally or not it is a way to check that both bulbs are not burnt. This would be a series/paralell circuit adding resistance to the ground path. Therefore the bulb must be of different value. I have confirmed my finding by removing both bulbs on one side and selecting the other side to flash. Results: no indicator light. This is also why an LED bulb would prevent the indicator light to turn ON. A different electronic flasher unit having X,L,P terminal (instead of 49,49A,31 like used on cars having 2 separate indicators) that has a separate output leg(P) for the indicator would then be required. Not using the filament from the original bulb as a way to ground.
2-I am loosing voltage. only 10.5 volts present at the key switch for the positioning lights circuit (yellow wire) thus making the positioning light "blink" when the flasher is on! As a test, I have added a jumper between this circuit fuse and an other fuse and the problem goes away! Steady 12.6 volts.
Has anyone had to replace the key switch?
3-would anyone know the purpose of relay #1 and #2 on the prints? relay #3 and #4 being for the starter and flasher.
Thanks

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:00 pm

Relay #1 is kill switch starter disable (kill switch must be in 'run' position for starter to work)

Relay #2 is engine running starter disable. Starter will not work if engine is running. This is actually activated by the alternator charging light output, which switches off when running, thus turning the relay off.

#1 sends the power to allow #2 to work, #2 sends the power to allow #3 to work.

To confuse the issue further #1 contacts are wired for normally on mode, because the EFI version kill switch contacts are actually open in the run position and closed in the stop position.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")