Full battery dies in 8 days or less

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
DrFaulken
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Full battery dies in 8 days or less

Post by DrFaulken » Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm headed to Denver on Friday to do a few episodes with the sidecar rental crew City on the Side. I am trying to do my last minite prep for that, so I'm not sure how much of this I can get done between now and then.

I might motor the Ural over to my local dealer and have them take a look.

Regardless, I really appreciate everyone's help, and I will update this post once I know more.
America By Sidecar -- follow us! Instagram || YouTube || Facebook || Blog

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

Site supporter: 2018, 2019

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Yes please we want the answer to this! :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sbaker

Post by sbaker » Mon May 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Most likely an bad cell in the battery.. Low temps can be deadly to the battery.. Time for a new one.

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon May 13, 2019 5:22 pm

The TB's don't disconnect from the battery when you turn your rig off. They're under power all the time. TB's are fed through Fuse 1 (Red 15A). On my '14 it's the bottom fuse. Try disconnecting it when you put the bike away. That will cut out the injectors, coils, and fuel pump circuits which I believe are also under power when the TB's have 12V.

The circuit goes. Blue wire from battery to generator line out. Blue wire from generator line out to position three on the ignition switch. The TB's are tapped into the feed at the switch. Blue wire from position three on switch to fuse and then red to TB's.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon May 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Yeah but no but, usually you can leave it a couple of weeks or more without any problems. Image

So must be something else or yeah battery is scrap.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Most likely an bad cell in the battery.. Low temps can be deadly to the battery.. Time for a new one.
That would be incorrect. A battery is like a chain, one weak link (cell) and the whole battery does not perform.

A start is like pulling the Titanic up, while the whole battery may be aged, one significantly weaker sell breaks the chain.

Old fasn8ihoned way to test it is Electrolyte Readings (some low cost store bought) - have to pull the battery and its messy.

Easier is to turn on the power, fire up the headlight and any other lights you may have (Ural is good for that) and read the voltage on the battery.

If its holding up it won't drop below 12 for some time. If its got issue it will drop fast. If it does it won't start the cycle anyway.

Climate wise cold paces are better than hot places for longevity (true that a battery drops output the colder it gets but these should be good for -40 start on a good battery - Irkut is not a warm place in winter!)
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Yakatak

Post by Yakatak » Mon May 13, 2019 6:03 pm

What Hal said.
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:35 pm

DrFaulken wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 pm
Thank you everyone. I'm headed to Denver on Friday to do a few episodes with the sidecar rental crew City on the Side. I am trying to do my last minite prep for that, so I'm not sure how much of this I can get done between now and then.

I might motor the Ural over to my local dealer and have them take a look.

Regardless, I really appreciate everyone's help, and I will update this post once I know more.
thanks always nice to have a fallow up so I can enter it into my big Ural book on things that go bad and how to fix. :wink: :sarcasm: :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Update: I made an appointment with the Ural dealer on 28 May just in case. They have long lead times and I'd rather get on their books and cancel than try to figure everything out myself and then have to wait another 2 weeks for an appointment.

Service tech guessed bad battery on the phone; I'll run some of the tests you all recommended to help speed things up.

Given how few and far between dealers are, and how easy some of the repairs can be, I wish Ural had a DIYer program for things like this. If the alternator was bad, send it back, have it verified by Ural, get credited for the replacement under warranty, etc.

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Agree Dr. But you'll need some odd tools. First I'd spring for a battery tester. One that not only measures available voltage but tests CCA and puts an electronic drain test on the battery. I use one made by Solar (model BA9). It won't work if the battery has less than 4.5V but it will indicate if it is capable of being charged. Got it from Amazon.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Tue May 28, 2019 9:34 pm

Took the bike in today, and dealership immediately confirmed the battery was completely dead. They replaced it with a new battery.

They are trying to get the battery replaced under warranty. It's a wear item, and normally I would just replace it out of pocket, but it's 10 months old.

I'll update you all as I learn more.

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

Daisy Cutter
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Daisy Cutter » Wed May 29, 2019 6:01 am

Your speedo should have a volt meter in it also. Probably not the most accurate but you should be able to watch it to see if the alternator is charging the batt. Kinda sounds like the dealer took the easiest route without checking too much else.
Mike
North Alabama
2017 Ural Gear Up
2018 Harley Sportster Iron 1200
2018 Royal Enfield Classic 500

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Wed May 29, 2019 8:36 am

Yeah, I'm afraid of that, too. I asked them to check the alternator and they declined, stating that the cold weather starts may have accelerated the demise of an already faulty battery from the factory.

We jumped the bike before I rode to the dealership; initially the voltage as around 9.4 , the reading varied from 14.1 to 13.6 on the ride over.

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Wed May 29, 2019 10:53 am

Probably still worthwhile to check for parasitic draw when ignition is off.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".