Full battery dies in 8 days or less

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
DrFaulken
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Full battery dies in 8 days or less

Post by DrFaulken » Sun May 12, 2019 11:37 pm

My 2018 GearUp has about 3300 miles on the original battery. When I started riding in the winter, the battery would be so weak even 48 hours later that it couldn't get the bike started.

As I mentioned in my winter gear roundup, I started running a battery tender on the bike just so I could ride to work. I chalked this up to the cold weather (-31F at its coldest).

This morning my wife and I were going to ride for Mother's Day, and the battery was dead after 8 days. No lights were on (spotlight, fog, main), and no accessories were attached. Ambient temp was 51F.

Any ideas?

[edit] also, is using the kickstart with the off road map from a cold engine possible? There's a video about a dealership saying it was "easy," but they already ran the engine already :lol:
America By Sidecar -- follow us! Instagram || YouTube || Facebook || Blog

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

Site supporter: 2018, 2019

ichbinbier
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Full battery dies in 8 days or less

Post by ichbinbier » Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 am

DrFaulken wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:37 pm
My 2018 GearUp has about 3300 miles on the original battery. When I started riding in the winter, the battery would be so weak even 48 hours later that it couldn't get the bike started.

As I mentioned in my winter gear roundup, I started running a battery tender on the bike just so I could ride to work. I chalked this up to the cold weather (-31F at its coldest).

This morning my wife and I were going to ride for Mother's Day, and the battery was dead after 8 days. No lights were on (spotlight, fog, main), and no accessories were attached. Ambient temp was 51F.

Any ideas?

[edit] also, is using the kickstart with the off road map from a cold engine possible? There's a video about a dealership saying it was "easy," but they already ran the engine already :lol:
My first battery lasted 2 years. I bought a light lithium iron battery to replace it. It worked great until the temps reached 0° C or lower. Had to switch back to a lead acid battery for the cold weather.

I also noticed that short rides (city riding) in winter does not allow the battery to charge enough to replace the energy used to start the bike.
That's when I started to use the kickstarter more. In the really cold it may take 10 to 20 kicks but it will fire.
Changing to a lighter weight oil for winter does help.

And yes I've been using the off road maps.

So after all that you have a bad battery or a bad alternator.
2018 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 am

Kick starting an EFI Ural........

Not only is it possible, it is very easy to do.

However, if your battery is completely dead.......trying to kick start won't help at all. You need some juice to run the ECU's and fuel pump.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

brianural

Post by brianural » Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 am

Whats the significance of 8 days? Was that the last time you started was 8 days prior? Was battery tender on it during the 8 days? A battery should be able to hold a charge for 8 days even on the coldest or hottest days. Get the battery tested, if its good, then look for whats draining battery when the rigs at rest. Possibly a charging issue as well, battery tender charging battery enough for your trips, when no tender, battery dies. Same concept as a total loss system. Good luck tracking down issue, look forward to your posts on what you learn.
2011 HD RGU
2003 Honda VTX1800 - sold
2005 Honda VTX1300 - sold
Bunch of other metric bikes for last 45 years
"1966 titled" Dnepr MT-11 (reality is a 80-90's)
1956 IMZ M72 (bought in pieces, oh crap what have I done) Hope to have on road in 2018

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon May 13, 2019 8:20 am

Is it bone stock or have you installed any electrical accessories (I'm thinkin' USB charger or the like)?

What is the current draw on your battery with the bike off? If you have a multi-meter, disconnect a battery lead and measure how many milliamps of current are flowing. You'll likely have some current flow with the bike off, because of the clock on that fancy new speedometer.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Mon May 13, 2019 8:26 am

brianural wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 am
Whats the significance of 8 days? Was that the last time you started was 8 days prior? Was battery tender on it during the 8 days? A battery should be able to hold a charge for 8 days even on the coldest or hottest days.
The last time I rode was 8 days prior to yesterday. I commute on the highway, so plenty of duration and RPMs to recharge the battery.

The battery was not on the tender, as we both agree it should be able to hold a charge for that long.

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 am

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:20 am
Is it bone stock or have you installed any electrical accessories (I'm thinkin' USB charger or the like)?
I have an OEM spotlight installed, so I have that plus the OEM, factory installed fogs. Both are wired into the factory harness.

I have an accessory fuse box wired in, but nothing is on it.

I'll check current flow with the bike off and report back. Thank you!

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

DrFaulken

Post by DrFaulken » Mon May 13, 2019 8:32 am

ichbinbier wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 am
I also noticed that short rides (city riding) in winter does not allow the battery to charge enough to replace the energy used to start the bike.
My last ride was the commute home; 20 minutes at highway speeds, 10 minutes on surface streets. I ran a ton of farkles on previous bikes, so I'm preconditioned to make sure those motorcycles ran at RPMs high enough, and long enough, to recharge the battery.

I am going to be out of town for a few days soon anyway, might be a good time to take the bike into the dealer and have it looked at.

Thanks for your idea about the battery and the alternator.

2018 Ural GearUp Sahara

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Mon May 13, 2019 8:53 am

Easy enough to put a meter on the battery to see how it is doing. Check it under load while starting the bike and all shall be revealed.

https://www.wikihow.com/Load-Test-a-Battery
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Claus

Post by Claus » Mon May 13, 2019 9:36 am

ichbinbier wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:54 am
My first battery lasted 2 years. I bought a light lithium iron battery to replace it. It worked great until the temps reached 0° C or lower. Had to switch back to a lead acid battery for the cold weather.
I have a couple of lithium iron batteries in customers` rigs. The stronger ones that would match with a 20AH regular AGM battery.
In cold weather the ignition and headlight has to be switched on for a minute or two to warm up the battery prior to starting. Otherwise it would not start. After warming up it starts without problems. Sounds funny but works fine.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 01 Ural 750 rig, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction, DR 650 SP43B

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:38 am

Claus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:36 am

I have a couple of lithium iron batteries in customers` rigs. The stronger ones that would match with a 20AH regular AGM battery.
In cold weather the ignition and headlight has to be switched on for a minute or two to warm up the battery prior to starting. Otherwise it would not start. After warming up it starts without problems. Sounds funny but works fine.
Ditto, seems to work with lead acid batteries also. Check for loose/corroded connections/grounds too. (duh)
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon May 13, 2019 12:55 pm

I don't know where IMZ sources their batteries but I haven't been impressed with the originals. On my 011 and 014 the originals lasted one and two years respectively. They'd take a charge but wouldn't hold a charge. I'd charge them and let them sit overnight before checking voltage with a DMM. Neither would read acceptable voltage the next day. A batt reading 12.24v is only 50% charged and as low as 12.06v is only 25% An 018 shouldn't need a new batt yet but it sure wouldn't surprise me. :(
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:03 pm

First I would get a low cost digital volt meter. It will have other features on it (current but that is tricky as you can burn one out) resistance is a help.

The basics are that a battery that has 12 volts plus a bit is fine if its just sitting. That is the basic non charging level.

All you need to do is check it with the meter right after a stop. If its under about 12.5 then you have a bad battery (or the alternator/charging is not working)

Fire it up and check the voltage with it at 1000 rpm. You should have 13.5 to 14.5 (I don't have a Ural yet so I don't know what they are set for).

If you don't, then you have a charging issue (most alternators have the voltage regulator built into them these days, not having a Ural.....)

The packs in the alternators are usual easy to replace (it takes a bit of sleuthing to test and sometime easier to just get a new alternator).

I doubt you have a current draw as those sources are not on a Ural (sticking thermostat switches, various other devices on modern cars). When you turn it off it goes off.

Run those initial tests and post results and a general direction can likely be provided.
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon May 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Do a parasitic draw test anyway, if only to eliminate that.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:48 pm

DrFaulken wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Any ideas?

i found this video showing a basic simple way to locate a current parasitic draw that might help. www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrNvkJ2EtvE :idea:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)