Wrong Intake Gaskets?

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
cookiemech
Comrade
Comrade

Wrong Intake Gaskets?

Post by cookiemech » Sat May 11, 2019 6:03 am

I bought new compliance fittings (IMZ-8.128-01811-10) and intake gaskets (IMZ-8.101-15283-20) for the 2014 GU I am putting together after extensive refurbishment. The compliance fittings match the intake ports properly, but the gaskets seem to be a bit too small. I had to enlarge the bolt holes on the first one so that I could slip the bolts through the compliance fittings, the gasket, and into the holes in the head.

Has anyone else encountered this? I checked the part numbers with the official Ural parts diagrams using my VIN. I have one of the old gaskets (still attached to an old compliance fitting) and the new and old don't quite match.

I sent an email to the Ural dealer yesterday asking the same question, but haven't heard yet.
2014 Ural Gear-Up

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Wrong Intake Gaskets?

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 11, 2019 9:06 am

Did they accidentally send you exhaust gaskets? They look very similar. Happened to me once.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

cookiemech
Comrade
Comrade

Post by cookiemech » Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm

I don't think so. I pulled a new exhaust gasket out and measured both it and the apparently wrong intake gasket. The exhaust gasket measures 57 mm center-to-center for bolt holes, with a 40 mm diameter hole for the exhaust gas. The problem intake gasket measures 53 mm center-to-center for bolt holes, and 33 mm diameter for the intake hole (same as original, correct intake gasket). The correct intake gasket (on my old compliance fitting) has bolt holes 57 mm center-to-center.
gasket comparo.jpg
Questionable intake gasket at left and correct new exhaust gasket at right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 Ural Gear-Up

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sat May 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Albuquralque wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:06 am
Did they accidentally send you exhaust gaskets? They look very similar. Happened to me once.
That gasket is for 650.
750 holes are wider apart

cookiemech
Comrade
Comrade

Post by cookiemech » Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks, Van!

I'll mention that to the dealer.
2014 Ural Gear-Up

cookiemech
Comrade
Comrade

Post by cookiemech » Fri May 17, 2019 5:04 am

To complete the story, the dealer contacted IMZ and they did say that the gaskets were mis-labeled; they're sending me the right ones.

I appreciate the enlightenment here.
2014 Ural Gear-Up

:FI:Igor
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by :FI:Igor » Fri May 17, 2019 6:53 am

While we're already discussing the gasket and compliance fittings, I see by the parts breakdown that the 2013 (my old rig, but still have the gaskets and compliance fittings) and the newer 2015 are the same parts. However, when I have a new compliance fitting in my hand (same part number) there's a notch for the TB. I've also heard that you don't use a gasket on the 2015's. I'm changing out the compliance fittings this weekend. Machine acts like intermittent 'bad gas'. Won't idle (intermittently) and can't get to maximum cruising speed (intermittently). Have already dumped gas, cleaned fuel screen, replaced air filter, and replaced fuel filter; still intermittent problem.
2015 Ural Patrol (Светлана)
2006 HD Low Rider (sold)
2013 Ural Patrol 'Ursula' (2015 Totaled!)