Syncing the bike & sidecar brakes

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
treeman1942
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Syncing the bike & sidecar brakes

Post by treeman1942 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Okay, I've done quite a bit of research on syncing the Ural's bike brake with the sidecar. Reason being, I've been riding quite slow during break in, mainly using the front brake. Yesterday, I had to brake quite hard so used the bike rear/sidecar brakes. The stop was quite squirrely so no doubt they are out of sync. I've never done anything with previous bike brakes, all dealer serviced. I've read several articles about the sync but they just weren't clear to me. Anyone know of videos, a simple process for the job, etc. The dealer is 100 miles from me. I'd ride there but not with these brakes. :x

Thanks in advance. :)
2019 Ural Gear Up, OD Green
1977 BMW R100/7 (original owner)
2014 Burgman 400/A
2008 Piaggio MP3250
Whizzer Motorbike

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
Will Rogers

CamaroEric
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Syncing the bike & sidecar brakes

Post by CamaroEric » Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Syncing disc brakes? I didn't know that was a thing. Certainly don't see anything about it in the manual...

Is it more likely that the unevenness is being caused by something more dangerous; a pinched line, bubbles in the line, not bled properly, leak, stuck caliper, improperly installed caliper/pads, grease on pads... etc.
2008 Gear-Up
2012 NC700X
1962 F-100 Flareside 292 4-spd

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 pm

CamaroEric wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm
Syncing disc brakes? I didn't know that was a thing. Certainly don't see anything about it in the manual...

Is it more likely that the unevenness is being caused by something more dangerous; a pinched line, bubbles in the line, not bled properly, leak, stuck caliper, improperly installed caliper/pads, grease on pads... etc.

It's a thing on the 2014 and newer Urals.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

CamaroEric
Comrade
Comrade

Post by CamaroEric » Mon May 06, 2019 1:57 pm

Always learning... I'll stick around!
:lurker:
2008 Gear-Up
2012 NC700X
1962 F-100 Flareside 292 4-spd

Donbmw

Post by Donbmw » Mon May 06, 2019 2:11 pm

https://www.imz-ural.com/blog/2016/07/0 ... ust-brakes

Here is the link on how to adjust rear brakes.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon May 06, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm going to be shot down in flames for this, :D but I don't use my sidecar brake, my dealer doesn't like them so it was backed right off when I got it. Precisely because of the unpredrictable "squirreliness" behavior. Also I was taught to use the rear (bike's) brake as an aid to right hand turns (sidecar is on the left), can't do that if sidecar brake is also working, 'cause rig will want to run straight instead (and hence try to go off the road). Therefore in order to keep it straight while hard braking, simples, as I was initially shown (the rig I learned on had no sidecar brake), I learned to keep it straight using the 'bars, this is now muscle memory and automatic. It's not an issue. :D

Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Mon May 06, 2019 4:37 pm

No squirreliness nor unpredictable behavior here. I've adjusted and synced my rear brake/sidecar brake and it stops straight all the time.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

Donbmw

Post by Donbmw » Mon May 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Same for me after adjusting. It was not set right by the dealer.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

AndyH
Comrade
Comrade

Post by AndyH » Tue May 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Dealers / Service agents should know better - Ural Tech Bulletin #S012014 has the adjustment process. Unfortunately it is 1.4 Mb so I can't upload it, but the video above is the similar. Set both master cylinder rods with 1mm free play, then adjust the park brake.
The Owners Service manual says -
" With the Parking Brake set you will have approximately 12mm between the caliper stop bracket and the brake are with spring"
which, apart from not making much sense is also wrong. The measurement between the Caliper stop bracket and the actuating lever should be about 1.2mm. Getting the park brake sorted makes the rear brake work correctly and the pads last longer.

I follow this procedure every time the parking brake gets a bit soft and it has worked for me.
2015 Ural EU Tourist -

rivers

Post by rivers » Tue May 07, 2019 4:25 pm

No idea on an 019's set up but generally if all three brakes are set up in spec it should work fine for a sidecar outfit. My first thought is you are new to sidecars in general and since you've so far just been bimbling around at slow speeds...you haven't yet experienced sidecar braking/handling except on your last ride? The "stopping got squirrelly" thing is possibly just normal sidecar traits. As you accelerate from a stop the weight of the tub will pull/drag the bike to the tub side and when stopping or even just chopping the throttle at road speed the weight of the tubs momentum will push the bike away from the tub. Till in time you gain the experience it can get exciting if you're crowding the centerline at speed.
If you're sure it's a dealer set up issue and not sidecar piloting inexperience by all means haul it to the dealer to get it right before adjusting stuff yourself to the dangerous level. That's what you paid the big bucks for.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

treeman1942

Post by treeman1942 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Well, I adjusted the brakes per the bulletin today. I still get a slight drift right when applying the pedal brake but much, much less than before. I tinkered with it a couple of times. Very easy to crawl under the sidecar and make the adjustments. In reality, I'm not even sure what I did. :(

Another note: I just did the 300 miles oil change and all the oil appeared clean except for the rear drive. A few metal shaving on the magnets but the engine drain plug had the least. I used Amsoil motorcycle 20/50 in the engine and transmission and Motul 300 in the rear drive, 75/90. Much easier to service than my scooters and other motorcycles. I'll do the valves at about 500 miles per the dealers' advice. After the oil change, I also noticed much smoother shifting, plus the engine seemed smoother, less clicking, etc. Could be my imagination but don't think so. Gotta say, the Ural is the simplest bike I've ever done maintenance on. :wink:
2019 Ural Gear Up, OD Green
1977 BMW R100/7 (original owner)
2014 Burgman 400/A
2008 Piaggio MP3250
Whizzer Motorbike

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
Will Rogers

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Well, I adjusted the brakes per the bulletin today. I still get a slight drift right when applying the pedal brake but much, much less than before.
Keep in mind you're operating an asymmetrical vehicle, and that with different loads (in the sidecar) you can expect braking to be different.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue May 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Try this. Rather then using only your hand/forearm to apply the brake try tensing/stiffening your shoulder also. A light tension/stiffen should overcome the mild right pull. If it does your OK.

If not the sidecar brake needs to be retarded.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Marc

Post by Marc » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 pm

My friendly dealer recommended this method. First do you mostly ride Solo or with a passenger. If with a passenger, then have one come along.
Find a fine gravel road or sand covered road and apply rear brake only and relatively hard. Check skid mark. Adjust side car brake to advance or retard the reaction and sync with the bike.

sKiZo
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sKiZo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Did some mods here on the rear brake linkage, and it was my understanding that you should set the sidecar brake to engage slightly before the pusher. This will pull you slightly to the right if you apply just the rear brake. The front brake alone should pull you slightly to the left. If you use BOTH front and rear brakes (as you should) the pulls cancel each other out and you end up stopping straight. Kinda sorta makes sense to me.

Seems to work here anyway ...
Marc wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 pm
My friendly dealer recommended this method. First do you mostly ride Solo or with a passenger. If with a passenger, then have one come along.
Sounds like it'd make for an interesting conversation.

"My brakes aren't working right ... Wanna go for a ride?" :foilhead:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.