New Gear Up - Broken parking brake cable

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
LVGS
Comrade
Comrade

New Gear Up - Broken parking brake cable

Post by LVGS » Sat May 04, 2019 10:33 pm

During the orientation to my new Gear Up at the dealership last weekend, the parking brake cable broke i.e. at the handlebar end (see pics attached). It appears several members have had the same thing happen to them (viewtopic.php?t=49908) and therefore, I assume mine came the same ‘bad batch’ that plagued others.

The dealer has submitted a warranty claim and anticipates we will receive a replacement cable soon. However, it appears that the broken ‘stop’ was imbedded in some plastic which is still in the lever. Question: is it merely a matter of removing the imbedded stop and plastic, and installing the new cable? Or, should we be ordering a new lever with the cable already attached? If the latter, the wire leading to the dash would also need to be disconnected)

Needless to say, it was very disappointing given we were in the process of taking delivery; it was certainly no fault of the dealer. Any help/thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
0D4F925B-F43F-4B91-8C7F-7CA2DA820F72.jpeg
54516186-981E-4B3E-B136-9E4406FDEC75.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nanoose Bay (Vancouver Island), BC CANADA

In the garage:
‘18 Ural Gear Up
‘10 BMW R1200GS

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: New Gear Up - Broken parking brake cable

Post by Eric N » Sat May 04, 2019 11:03 pm

The lever looks fine. The "stop" is wrapped in a plastic bushing. If you look at the underside of your lever and kinda close the parking lever, you'll see a hole in the lever where the stop/ bushing is. Should be able to just push it down through that hole, installing the cable is the reverse, the stop will go up into that hole and then you feed the cable around.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Pterodactyl
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by Pterodactyl » Sat May 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Mine broke in the same location a week after taking delivery from my dealership that is 720 miles away. I emailed him a picture of the broken cable and the VIN on the frame. Had a new cable in about ten days. Took about 30 minutes to install. Take pictures to get the routing correct. Dealership is Raceway in Salem, OR. Very happy with them.
Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Sat May 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Posted in wrong thread...
Last edited by Pterodactyl on Sun May 05, 2019 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin
Team Pterodactyl

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun May 05, 2019 9:24 am

Question: is it merely a matter of removing the imbedded stop and plastic, and installing the new cable? Or, should we be ordering a new lever with the cable already attached?
Yes take it out, they are supposed to be replaceable. Someone needs to find out why these cables break, implies they're being stressed at that point. The previous version cables didn't break, or as much, AFAIK.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

LVGS
Comrade
Comrade

Post by LVGS » Sun May 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Eric N wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:03 pm
The lever looks fine. The "stop" is wrapped in a plastic bushing. If you look at the underside of your lever and kinda close the parking lever, you'll see a hole in the lever where the stop/ bushing is. Should be able to just push it down through that hole, installing the cable is the reverse, the stop will go up into that hole and then you feed the cable around.
Thanks Eric, that's exactly what I needed to know. It was painfully obvious once I did as you suggested. Now, just have to wait for the new cable...

In the garage:
‘18 Ural Gear Up
‘10 BMW R1200GS

LVGS
Comrade
Comrade

Post by LVGS » Sun May 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:24 am
Question: is it merely a matter of removing the imbedded stop and plastic, and installing the new cable? Or, should we be ordering a new lever with the cable already attached?
Yes take it out, they are supposed to be replaceable. Someone needs to find out why these cables break, implies they're being stressed at that point. The previous version cables didn't break, or as much, AFAIK.
I wonder how prevalent the problem is; my dealer indicated that it was the first one he had ever seen.

In the garage:
‘18 Ural Gear Up
‘10 BMW R1200GS

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Sun May 05, 2019 7:39 pm

I've had to replace two rear brake sensors, my speedometer sometimes thinks I'm driving when I sit still, my paint at the gas tank is bubbling, but I'm still on my original parking brake cable.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Sun May 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:24 am
Someone needs to find out why these cables break, implies they're being stressed at that point.
A bunch of cables were made with the barrel assembled backwards. The barrel is a small casting with a funnel shaped hole for the cable, and is soldered to the cable. Someone was assembling them with the large end of the funnels cone facing the cable, instead of away from it. The cone shaped plug of solder will eventually pull out, rather than acting as an anchor like the head of a fastener.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

cycleman

Post by cycleman » Thu May 23, 2019 11:52 am

One thing I've found with some BMW clutch cables, the ferrels where not smoothed off to allow the ball end to rotate a bit to releave the stress on the cable. They would break just where the ferrel and the cable joined. The portion that the cable went into was not round, but square. Overtime this would break a perfectly good cable. File the edges off the ferrel so it could rotate, and it caused no further issues. Something to check.

Not quite the same thing, but a cable is a cable.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon May 27, 2019 8:09 pm

Eric N wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:39 pm
I've had to replace two rear brake sensors, my speedometer sometimes thinks I'm driving when I sit still, my paint at the gas tank is bubbling, but I'm still on my original parking brake cable.
I recently received a new (warranty) replacement fuel tank for my GU, in recognizance of significant paint bubbling and eventual delamination. Depending on the severity of the same on your rig, it might be worth the effort to initiate a conversation with your dealer. Mine was a months-long process, frustrating at times, but I'm glad to have attended to it.

Know that 2018 is a one-year-only design specification for the fuel tanks.

Good luck.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:11 pm
Mine broke in the same location a week after taking delivery from my dealership that is 720 miles away. I emailed him a picture of the broken cable and the VIN on the frame. Had a new cable in about ten days. Took about 30 minutes to install. Take pictures to get the routing correct. Dealership is Raceway in Salem, OR. Very happy with them.
I bought my 2006 Patrol from Raceways when Jim owned it. Great service and very knowledgeable. My next trip into Salem I will be sure to stop and meet the new people there.
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Tue May 28, 2019 12:14 am

Marine Corps Codu wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:02 pm
Pterodactyl wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:11 pm
I bought my 2006 Patrol from Raceways when Jim owned it. Great service and very knowledgeable. My next trip into Salem I will be sure to stop and meet the new people there.
I was shopping around for a month for a new Ural. I knew what I wanted but was looking for a decent deal. A buddy from Fairbanks had dealt with Robby on a warranty issue while traveling and a local guy had also dealt with him long distance; both speak very highly of him and his mechanic. I viewed his website and sent him an email at 8 PM on a Sunday. Unexpectedly, he responded a few minutes later. We exchanged several emails that evening and by 11 PM I had sent him a deposit via PayPal. I’ve had the rig two months and my experience with Robby has been great. He responds quickly to emails, has explained things patiently when I have questions, talked me through trouble shooting an issue and, of course, sent me replacement parts under warranty. I could not be happier.
Kevin
Team Pterodactyl