Light Issue

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Light Issue

Post by Eric N » Thu May 02, 2019 8:27 pm

Did it blow a fuse again? If not, check the electrical connectors on the back side of the fuse box. One of the yellow wires may have wiggled loose.

If it blew a fuse:

Assuming you have a pack of 15A fuses.

Check headlight.

Pilot light wire runs hot if you have factory light switch that can't turn it off.

With Allen wrench, remove bottom hex bolt that holds headlight lens/ housing onto bike. You don't need to remove the two side bolts that access the rats nest, just pop off the headlight.

There's going to be a stray yellow wire in the housing. Check that it's either connected to the pilot light (little 5 watt baby light), or if you don't have a pilot light, wrap the end in electrical tape to make sure it won't accidentally ground on something.

Replace blown fuse and turn bike on. See what happens.

If lights stay on, cool. Probably pilot lead wire that grounded causing a short.

If POP goes the fuse, turn off bike, disconnect headlight wires from headlight and replace fuse. With headlight disconnected, turn bike back on and see if other lights stay on.

If lights stay on, cool. Put your old bulb back in and see if the problem goes away. Could be a short in the new headlight bulb.

If lights still POP, turn off bike and unbolt the two bolts on each side of the headlight that hold the bucket, allow you to access the rats nest.

Ignition switch will have a yellow wire that goes to a connector. At the connector the ignition yellow wire will go through, and there will also be a second yellow wire that comes from the bike and goes back into the bike. Disconnect that connector and replace the 15A fuse.

With a multi-meter, test all four yellow wire connection for ground.

If switch tests to ground, short might be in switch.

If either wire on the non-switch side tests to ground, short is between that connector and the fuse box.

If switch side yellow wire that doesn't go to ignition switch tests to ground, short is somewhere deeper.

Disconnect the sidecar electrical connector and re-test switch side yellow wire that doesn't go to ignition. If it no longer tests to ground, short is in sidecar electrics. If it still tests to ground with sidecar disconnected, short is in bike side electrics.

Either case, short in sidecar or bike, will require just checking each connector, working your way down the line until you find the short.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Ironhand
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Ironhand » Fri May 03, 2019 10:15 am

Check the large blue connector coming from your right side handlebar switchgear. Power to the head and running lights passes through a blanked off switch within the throttle housing.

I had a similar issue and traced it back to a poorly inserted connector pin (the yellow wire, if my crappy memory is correct). It is possible that you jostled this wiring during the headlight install and disturbed the questionable connection.
2015 Ural Gear Up
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2008 Honda XR650L
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. —Mark Twain

HassoBoxhead
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by HassoBoxhead » Fri May 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Eric N, thanx very much for the step by step troubleshooting guide, that will help a lot!!!

Ironhand, thanx as well, I'll see if I can figure out that connection to the throttle housing and check it out!

I'm completely lost on electrical issues, so hopefully this will be an obvious one that I can fix when I dig into tomorrow a.m.!
2014 Slate Grey Gear Up
Retired Air Force Russian Linguist
“Too Close for Missiles, Switching to Guns”

HassoBoxhead

Post by HassoBoxhead » Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Question for those who might know: I replaced the standard H4 bulb with an Auxbeam LED, would the new light draw too much power and therefore cause the fuse blow? I had driven with the new light for about a week, but I believe it was turning on the high beam for the first time that caused everything to go dark...or am I completely off here?
2014 Slate Grey Gear Up

HassoBoxhead

Post by HassoBoxhead » Fri May 03, 2019 6:12 pm

This is the light I’m using
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 Slate Grey Gear Up

Eric N
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Eric N » Sat May 04, 2019 5:33 am

The Auxbeam, if there's nothing wrong with the bulb, should be fine. Draws same or less than normal bulb. I run one in my Enfield.

If fuse blows when high beam is activated, short's likely somewhere in the switch, high beam wiring, or connector that goes to the high beam indicator light. Could be a short in the bulb, try it with your old bulb and see if it still blows the fuse with the high beams on.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Wanderrad

Post by Wanderrad » Thu May 09, 2019 6:12 pm

My '18 did the same thing on the way home from work yesterday. Replaced the fuse, blew again right away. I have the Auxbeam installed as well, but have been running it for a good while. I will work on it this weekend. Probably try refitting the stock bulb first. Gotta get some more 15A fuses...

Edit: I have been riding in a good bit of rain lately as well.
-Scot

Current rides:
2018 Gear Up, Olive Drab Matte "Bad Penny"
2018 H-D Road King Special, Industrial Gray Denim

HassoBoxhead

Post by HassoBoxhead » Thu May 09, 2019 8:42 pm

No rain riding, but the same on the Auxbeam...had it installed for a couple weeks before the issue arose. Switched back to a halogen bulb until I figure out the Auxbeam issue.
2014 Slate Grey Gear Up

Yakatak

Post by Yakatak » Fri May 10, 2019 1:19 am

So... You're saying the lights operate normally using the halogen bulb? Then... it's the LED. Of course, the LED should pull much less current than the halogen. LED internal short??
2014 Ural Gear Up - Asphalt

Wanderrad

Post by Wanderrad » Sat May 11, 2019 4:19 pm

My electrical issue seems to have been from water intrusion around the fuse box (mid frame,left side). Fortunately I investigated a little more before opening up the headlight bucket.

Edit: So I thought I had this all worked out. But I hopped on the rig to ride to work this morning, and I blew a fuse before I got down my driveway.

After work I got back to work on the rig. I just got back from taking two test rides and so far.. :foilhead: all is well. I am cautiously optimistic. This is the first real problem that I have had with this rig in almost 6500 miles. :cheers:
-Scot

Current rides:
2018 Gear Up, Olive Drab Matte "Bad Penny"
2018 H-D Road King Special, Industrial Gray Denim