2015 Steering bearing - I need an adult

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
KStone

2015 Steering bearing - I need an adult

Post by KStone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:42 pm

Got a weird front end wobble while braking, and pretty bad head shake that seem to be getting worse. Going through the list of things and I’m checking the steering bearing. Well, I’m trying to check the steering bearing.

I’ve got the logo nut off the center of the triple tree, removed the pinch bolts at the tops of the forks, but both of those only went about a quarter turn and stopped dead. The washer underneath is now loose, so they backed off a bit. I’ve applied an unholy amount of PB Blaster in the general area hoping it would free up, but still, no.

It has a really short range for each nut in either direction when tightening or loosening. Is there something else I’m missing here, or are these things just stuck?
2015 GU "La Tortuga"

Hailing out of WNC

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: 2015 Steering bearing - I need an adult

Post by rivers » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:08 pm

The head bearing on an 015 is a sealed bearing and once installed shouldn't need replacing for a looong time. If you pull/push the handle bars are you getting slop at the stem? Prolly not so you need to look elsewhere for your wobble issue. I'd start with the integrity of the front brake system. Mounts tight, rotor ok, flat, smooth etc, shock mounts tight? Odds are better something down there is loose/worn/out of spec than the steering head bearings being toast.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

KStone

Re: 2015 Steering bearing - I need an adult

Post by KStone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I went through everything else before the bearing and it all looks to be attached as it should. I can’t find my dial indicator, but I do want to check the brake disc when I find it.

With it being a sealed unit, is there a grease schedule for it? I started thinking bearing as I could hear a clunk when braking. I was pushing the bike around and followed it by ear up to the neck, which led me down that path. There wasn’t any perceivable play or slop, just a click noise. I had the bars off and turning or pulling the front wheel with it in the air would kick it off.

With those fork bolts just a quarter turn loose, it let the top plate up enough to get the wrench in there, the jam but was pretty loose (single finger pressure on the wrench and feeely spinning). I tightened it until it stopped and snugged everything back together. Click noise is gone now, or at least I wasn’t able to replicate it.

A short test ride seems better, but it could just be hoping.
2015 GU "La Tortuga"

Hailing out of WNC