taking my 2017 out of hibernation

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
2017 CT
Comrade
Comrade

taking my 2017 out of hibernation

Post by 2017 CT » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 am

My 2017 CT has been in my sons semi heated garage since about thanksgiving. I am getting ready to take it home and start riding again. Here is what I plan to do prior to riding, let me know if you think I should do something else for maintenance or also if you think I don't need to do something on the list. rig has about 8K on it, battery will be charged fully prior to my picking it up

1) change engine oil(and filter), trans oil, rear end fluid
2) R&R sidecar wheel and repack bearing grease
3)R&R rear wheel and lube splines with honda moly grease
4) check torque on all bolts
5) not planning to check valve clearances as it was done late in the fall
6) install my new heated grips
7) check air filter
2017 Ural CT
Billerica MA

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: taking my 2017 out of hibernation

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:25 am

what is the status of the battery/gas in the tank? as to the side car bearing i think the newer Urals are sealed type so no way to lube.IMO :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 am

They're all good things. Don't forget to check tire pressures.

Do consider attending to items 1 through 4 before the rig is parked for annual storage. Used engine oil is mildly corrosive. It's best to have fresh, clean fluid in the sump before knowingly taking any engine out of service for a time. Fogging the cylinders and cranking the engine for a few seconds (sans attached plug wires) is also a recommended pre-storage maintenance item.

As for checking the air filter: Ural prescribes replacement at set mileage intervals. Unless or until you've reached said interval, or you regularly ride in dusty conditions, the filter should not require examination.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 am

2017 CT wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 am
let me know if you think I should do something else for maintenance or also if you think I don't need to do something on the list.

2) R&R sidecar wheel and repack bearing grease
3)R&R rear wheel and lube splines with honda moly grease
Wheel bearings are sealed, and lubed for the life of the bearing.

The wheel and shaft splines are not very effectively sealed, a mix of grease and moly seems to work better unless one is a fair weather, on pavement only rider.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Unless you drained the tank & carbs before storage, I'd do that first before trying to start it and put in new gas. Put the old gas in your car or whatever. The ethanol in most gas these days absorbs water from the air, then the water settles downward. Not good for either rust in the tank or anything in your carbs.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

rougaroo wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:38 pm
Unless you drained the tank & carbs before storage, I'd do that first before trying to start it and put in new gas. Put the old gas in your car or whatever. The ethanol in most gas these days absorbs water from the air, then the water settles downward. Not good for either rust in the tank or anything in your carbs.

Rougaroo
better to put the old gas in your lawn mower or snow blower. :boogie:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:34 pm

I don't really put my rig away for the Winter but I do a big service almost like you describe in the Fall. That way I'm ready to go for Spring & Summer. You should definitely at least change the engine oil (and the other fluids too) prior to a long sleep. Nothing is really going to hurt it or age it sitting in a semi-warm garage.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Maybe give some thought to adding some stabil 360 to your tank/gas cans. Ethanol gas is aweful but its all we got. :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

rivers

Post by rivers » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Sitting inside a heated garage since Thanksgiving isn't all that long. Hopefully if you run E10 government gas you used an ethanol stabilizer before lay up. How old/dirty/km was the eng oil when you parked it? If reasonably fresh you should be fine. On an 017 your sealed wheel bearings are fine at 8,000 km. If in question do the scheduled 10,000 km in your owners manual. Besides charging the battery I would do a quick look-see for mouse damage to any wiring and rubber/plastic bits. Peek in the air box for mouse debris. Check/fill the tires air pressure. Once running and you buy fuel again it would be a good time to add a fuel system cleaner. In my bikes,cars,trucks regardless if carbed or injected I add Seafoam once or twice a year depending on my stash. I like Seafoam but any brand name cleaner works well for maint. It won't fix a gunked up system but will help keep it clean if used regularly for maint. Only snafu I'd suspect being stored in you kids heated garage would be if he thought he was doing you a favor and starting the bike occasionally to circulate the fluids w/o riding it to full operating temp. If so prolly got a bit of water in the oil that wasn't cooked off. If you've been diligent about pre-ride inspections before lay up, no bolts/nuts came loose during storage. I wouldn't expect any issues from the storage other than what's been mentioned. Charge her up, go ride and then get back on your manuals recommended service schedule.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

2017 CT
Comrade
Comrade

Post by 2017 CT » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 pm

rivers wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:49 pm
Sitting inside a heated garage since Thanksgiving isn't all that long. Hopefully if you run E10 government gas you used an ethanol stabilizer before lay up. How old/dirty/km was the eng oil when you parked it? If reasonably fresh you should be fine. On an 017 your sealed wheel bearings are fine at 8,000 km. If in question do the scheduled 10,000 km in your owners manual. Besides charging the battery I would do a quick look-see for mouse damage to any wiring and rubber/plastic bits. Peek in the air box for mouse debris. Check/fill the tires air pressure. Once running and you buy fuel again it would be a good time to add a fuel system cleaner. In my bikes,cars,trucks regardless if carbed or injected I add Seafoam once or twice a year depending on my stash. I like Seafoam but any brand name cleaner works well for maint. It won't fix a gunked up system but will help keep it clean if used regularly for maint. Only snafu I'd suspect being stored in you kids heated garage would be if he thought he was doing you a favor and starting the bike occasionally to circulate the fluids w/o riding it to full operating temp. If so prolly got a bit of water in the oil that wasn't cooked off. If you've been diligent about pre-ride inspections before lay up, no bolts/nuts came loose during storage. I wouldn't expect any issues from the storage other than what's been mentioned. Charge her up, go ride and then get back on your manuals recommended service schedule.
I did use a fuel stabilizer before storing. BIke hasn't been started because the battery is here, in my garage.... BTW I also use seafoam.
2017 Ural CT
Billerica MA