Fuse Block removable?

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Fuse Block removable?

Post by harryball » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Does anyone know if the 2017 Fuse Block can be replaced without replacing the entire wiring harness?

The Long Story:
My 2017 M70 was assembled by amateurs. The Fuse Block had the ears broken off the day I bought it new, this I knew, but it seemed firmly on the bracket so I let it be. When BlueMoon did the recent warranty work, the fuse box was completely dislodged from the bracket and I could not force it back onto the bracket because it was hard up against the toolbox under the seat. You would have to loosen the toolbox, put it back on the bracket, then wedge the tookbox back in. When I went to do that, I found the wires stick straight out the back (not protected by the fusebox and run out the bottom like I thought) as a result, several of the wires are chaffed, one completely through with bare wire showing. This was this way from the beginning and the bracket (now removed) shows signs of someone grinding on it to get it to fit.

1) I can modify the bracket and shift the fusebox away from the toolbox to give the wires clearance.
2) I could coat the back of it with liquid electrical tape and seal everything.
3) I cannot replace the tabs broken off, but I can concoct a way to make sure the fuse box is on the bracket solid.

That given, I could repair this and my thinking is, I would be better off to do so instead of having the entire wiring harness replaced because if no one can get it right in the first place, what else will they screw up when replacing the harness? (cynical, I know)

IF the fuse box alone can be replaced, then I would let them do it. I'm going to put in a call to Ural, but thought I'd reach out here first for opinions.

The wire nick is small (1/16" exposure), but clearly it WILL short out on the toolbox once it gets through the paint.

If the fuse box is NOT replaceable but requires the entire harness be replaced... Would you just fix it or let them replace the harness?
Keep in mind, replacement will also require transporting the rig at LEAST 500 miles. I'm thinking Hiendl would be my best bet.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Fuse Block removable?

Post by rivers » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:56 pm

Not familiar with an 017 fuse box. You can't remove the wires from the box...really??? Sounds like warranty work to me and would think Gene in FL would be a lot closer than Heindl in OH?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

txparts
Comrade
Comrade

Post by txparts » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:37 pm

Agreed for a 2017 model that should be warranty work.
1998 Ural Sportsman
1998 Harley Road King
1968 BSA Lightning

Claus

Post by Claus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Well, it depends on if your warranty is still valid.
From my personal view: Before I would trailer my rig at least 500 miles (and spend a day of my vacations each way) I´d repair it myself.
Regardless of whether the fuse box is removable or not: I would buy a fusebox with the same numbers of fuses, cut the wires, crimp high quality connectors on and just connect the new box to the existing wires. I don´t know the new type fuse boxes, but the old 650 ones and the first 750 ones had an internal bridge between two plus connectors. Just saying.
If you own a crimp tool and know how to use it, that job should be done in between 1 and 2 hours...
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 01 Ural 750 rig, 92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G rig, 95 BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, 98 Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Could you post a picture? Your 17 sounds like it might be different than my 18 where the fuze block is mounted on the frame on the right size near the tool box?
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Rig is under warranty, purchased new August 2018.
OK, I just fixed it like Ivan (which may be permanent or may get re-fixed under warranty, haven't decided yet)
I bolted the bracket to my work bench and used a crowbar to "adjust" it. It now allows the fusebox to clear the tool box (yes, right side behind the leg and in to the back of the toolbox).
I used liquid electrical tape to coat the back of the one wire with exposed metal showing (repaired the insulation).
I pinched the bracket more closed meaning I had to spring it open a bit to snap in the fuse box. Even without the plastic tabs on the fuse box (that were broken off) it holds on pretty good.

I have a video pending, will post probably this week and add a link here.

So... it's "fixed" and probably fixed good enough.

I guess I'm too patient and overly forgiving, I didn't even get a new manual for it but a print out. Dealer ordered a new manual and I got one for a 2017 cT, so he ordered again and I got a manual for a 2018 M70. I've already discovered has a few changes that don't match the 2017. Overall... I feel like a redheaded step child somehow, I didn't even get a thank you card in the mail from Ural (but a friend of mine did). Maybe that's not standard practice and my friend was just "special".

Love the rig, the new buying experience AFTER I drove away from the dealer and the warranty treatment, not so much. Who would leave you MONTHS without a ride because you couldn't get a rear brake line? That was their solution so I fixed it myself and rode almost 5 months on my fix before the parts came through. I almost regret buying new now, should have bought it much cheaper and just fixed stuff myself with the savings. I suppose the engine could always blow up.

Didn't mean to rant a bit, but this is just one more thing I've found. I suppose I need to focus now on why the FD is so loud, why oil still leaks on my boot while riding, why the sidecar tire groans when turning left, why my rear brake is getting spongey... oh, and I need to get the battery ground cable corrected after the last warranty service so it is not rubbing the clutch arm or kickstart arm.
---
Robert

Claus

Post by Claus » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 am

harryball wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:51 pm
Rig is under warranty, purchased new August 2018.

...I suppose I need to focus now on why the FD is so loud, why oil still leaks on my boot while riding, why the sidecar tire groans when turning left, why my rear brake is getting spongey... oh, and I need to get the battery ground cable corrected after the last warranty service so it is not rubbing the clutch arm or kickstart arm.
Well... maybe a reason to take the time for that journey to see the dealer before warranty time is over
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 01 Ural 750 rig, 92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G rig, 95 BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, 98 Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Here is the video. I applied an Ivan Fix and am keeping on riding. I may revisit this when whatever the next Warranty fix is done.

EDIT (YouTube embedding apparently doesn't work any longer??) Now you have to use the youtube2 tags with the short YouTube youtu.be URL. Before I could do it with the full URL and the youtube tag, doesn't work any longer.
Last edited by harryball on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Robert

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:46 pm

harryball wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:36 pm
Here is the video. I applied an Ivan Fix and am keeping on riding. I may revisit this when whatever the next Warranty fix is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIoqsASq9D0

YouTube embedding apparently doesn't work any longer??
Looks like you 17 is the same as my 18 except the bracket on my rig seems to be like yours is after bending it to fit. Only a few wires are making light contact with the tool box, but I will address that ASAP. Better safe than sorry.

I would either have it replaced, or do what you did. I wouldn't try to rewire it.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:05 pm

harryball wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:36 pm
YouTube embedding apparently doesn't work any longer??
You have to use the link shown by clicking the "share" button on Youtube, and I put in the [ youtube2 ] code.

-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Just a personal observation, to me that seems like a naff place to locate a fusebox, just in front of the pusher tire. :(

CT/GU etc. it's left of the steering head between the top and bottom fork yokes. Not fabulously ideal either but possibly more sheltered from the weather.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:22 pm
Just a personal observation, to me that seems like a naff place to locate a fusebox, just in front of the pusher tire. :(

CT/GU etc. it's left of the steering head between the top and bottom fork yokes. Not fabulously ideal either but possibly more sheltered from the weather.
I agree and one reason I'm considering pulling it off and "painting" the entire back of it with liquid electrical tape.

On the 2017 cT the Fuse box is under the side panel behind the riders left leg. On my 2008/2010 it was located as you describe, I do not know when the position changed.
---
Robert

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:28 pm

harryball wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:57 pm
Mr Wazzock wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:22 pm

I agree and one reason I'm considering pulling it off and "painting" the entire back of it with liquid electrical tape.

On the 2017 cT the Fuse box is under the side panel behind the riders left leg. On my 2008/2010 it was located as you describe, I do not know when the position changed.
FWIW, 14 months of daily riding in the perpetually wet northwest, there's been no sign of any moisture or grime getting in. I had the same concern but it seems unfounded.
Barry

2018 M70

Kirkus

Post by Kirkus » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:24 pm

Just out of curiosity what's the differences you find between the 2017/2018?
Kirkus Maximus
Https://kirkusblog.com
1968 Honda CL175 - for sale
1966 BMW R69s/2 - sold
1992 Harley Heritage Softail - sold
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2011 Royal Enfield Chrome C5 - for sale https://kirkusblog.com/2018/12/03/2011- ... c5-chrome/
2016 Morgan 3 Wheeler
2018 Ural Retro - The White Russian
https://www.youtube.com/user/kirkolmsted