2014 Patrol 1st Valve clearance Check

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Geno89074
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

2014 Patrol 1st Valve clearance Check

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:55 am

Hi Everyone!!

Finally got a day off work to work on the Patrol.
Last few rides been getting increasingly more oil on the surface of the cylinder head gasket surfaces on both sides.
After a short ride had a small drip on to the floor of the garage after i parked for the night.
So after letting it sit all night removed the valve covers, checked the cylinder head stud nuts on both sides, 1 side at a time after finding TDC for the appropriate cylinder and found that all of the nuts were at least 36 ft lbs. except for the lower one nearest the exhaust header on the righthand/tub side. That nut was probably around 32 ft lbs because I set my brand new torque wrench bought for this job at 36 ft lbs and it tightened maybe 1/16 or 1/8" in rotation before the torque wrench clicked 36. Made sure to watch for the studs pulling out/slipping but no indication of that I could see.

Checked the clearances for the valves before and after checking the cylinder head nut torque. was no difference between the 2 readings.

What I came up with suprised me: All except for 1 valve had very loose clearances

On the Left Hand/Near Side: Exhaust Greater than 0.008"/0.20mm Intake right at 0.008"/0.20mm
On the right Hand/tub side: Exhaust 0.005"/0.13mm/ Intake 0.008"/0.20mm

I left the 0.005" alone but checked the lock nut which was very snug then checked the 0.005" clearance again. Then set all of the valves to 0.005" per Mr. Cobbs posts here on the forum. Cleanes out the valve covers, reinstalled and cleaned the entire engine and especially the cylinder head gasket surfaces like I was MAD at them....Once done checked the oil level with the dipstick threaded out and was just below the upper fill mark. Went on a 5 mile ride and back at the garage the cylinder head gaskets are having some small seepage again but no drips.

Seems to be idling better and running a little stronger but the oil seepage is pi$$ing me off-at least no more drips, yet...

So I bought this rig used with 2,400km/1,491mi on it. It now has 2,589km/1,608mi amd I think what happened is the original owner bought it, ran the snot out of it and didn't do anything to it.

Is it normal for the VALVE CLEARANCES to loosen that much with so few kms??
All the lock nuts were tight.

Is there anything else besides loose cylinder stud nuts that could have caused that seepage of oil from the head gasket??

Next step I will order new cylinder head/valve cover gaskets and replace them. Is there a gasket for these better than the oem or just order the ural ones??
Also anything special to look out for while I am in there except clean the mating surfaces really well and torque the cylinder head nuts while at TDC for that cylinder then recheck the valve clearances?? Is there anything that might have led to these cylinder head gaskets seeping/dripping before even getting to the 5,000km torque check???

Any Input/Advice as always most welcome from the good members here...

Many Thanks & CHEERS All!! -Geno
2014 Ural Patrol 1st Valve Clearances.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2014 Ural Patrol

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: 2014 Patrol 1st Valve clearance Check

Post by Albuquralque » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:08 am

Normal for valves to loosen up a little when engine is still rather new. Engine doesnt get really broken in good until around 10,000 kms.

Seeping head gaskets on 2014s is normal. Only replacements I know are the stock ones from a dealer. I replaced my right one and it hasnt seeped since......that was a couple years ago.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:03 am

just in case you haven't seen this is great link http://myural.com/removing&reinstallingcylinderhead.htm :cheers: PS Gino i would offer you my help, but i haven't removed anything from my Ural yet only just a valve adjustment months ago. by the way my bike dripped 2 drops when new only once and the dealer in Henderson said that was normal. it also went away but the residue is still visible on the bottom and if i run my finger over it will show a little oil but no drips. as long as it doesn't drip i don't worry . email me if you need support or tools. do read the LINK above its old but still use full. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Manscout

Post by Manscout » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:59 am

Albuquralque wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:08 am
Normal for valves to loosen up a little when engine is still rather new. Engine doesnt get really broken in good until around 10,000 kms.

Seeping head gaskets on 2014s is normal. Only replacements I know are the stock ones from a dealer. I replaced my right one and it hasnt seeped since......that was a couple years ago.
Everything he said....+1
"It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool".

2011 Ural Patrol
Gillette, Wy
Instagram: manscoutwyo

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:57 pm

Not to argue, but I find it strange that valves tend to loosen up at the engine breaks in. Normally, I would expect valves to tighten up as the valve seats in from use. This puts them deeper in the seat and reduces lash at the rocker. If the head gasket compresses any during thermal cycling, that too would reduce clearances since the head just got closer to the cam (a minute amount).

So, do the adjusters tend to slack off a bit? It would be the only explanation I'd be okay with it if happened to me. Although I'd be disappointed with my dealer or factory in their ability to set valve lash
Do the rocker to valve contact surfaces wear? I'd be disappointed if that was the case.
Do the adjuster tips wear? That would be discomforting, too.

Again, not arguing here. Trying to understand why new Urals behave in this manner.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:53 pm

Also rocker pivot wear. They all must wear, to some extent (EDIT: over time/use), as the parts move against each other. However I'm betting they were set on the loose side to begin with. Bit loose is better than too tight. :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Geno89074 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:55 am
Went on a 5 mile ride and back at the garage the cylinder head gaskets are having some small seepage again but no drips.
. . .
Is there anything else besides loose cylinder stud nuts that could have caused that seepage of oil from the head gasket??
It's a '14 so does it still have the OEM paper gakets? As mine has - 2016 - dealer doesn't like the new rubber ones (and I'm not overly convinced either) so we're trying to keep the original factory fitted ones (paper) going for as long as possible. Not leaking yet! I've got spares bought from Russia, but we're not sure what the quality is like.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:59 pm
Geno89074 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:55 am
Went on a 5 mile ride and back at the garage the cylinder head gaskets are having some small seepage again but no drips.
. . .
It's a '14 so does it still have the OEM paper gakets? As mine has - 2016 - dealer doesn't like the new rubber ones (and I'm not overly convinced either) so we're trying to keep the original factory fitted ones (paper) going for as long as possible. Not leaking yet! I've got spares bought from Russia, but we're not sure what the quality is like.
im confused, paper/rubber head gaskets, i thought only the valve cover gasket is made from those materials. seems head gaskets are either a fiber/metal design. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 pm

Waz did not take his meds today. He is confusing head with valve cover gaskets.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 pm

Albuquralque wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:08 am

Thank you Sir
I will order some oem gaskets
Glad to hear yours held up a couple years
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:42 pm

hotflash44 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:03 am
just in case you haven't seen this is great link http://myural.com/removing&reinstallingcylinderhead.htm :cheers: PS Gino i would offer you my help, but i haven't removed anything from my Ural yet only just a valve adjustment months ago. by the way my bike dripped 2 drops when new only once and the dealer in Henderson said that was normal. it also went away but the residue is still visible on the bottom and if i run my finger over it will show a little oil but no drips. as long as it doesn't drip i don't worry . email me if you need support or tools. do read the LINK above its old but still use full. :cheers:
Copy Many Thanks My Friend....
Now you see where my hanging out at the coffee shop while admiring the parked urals went hahahahaha
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:46 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:57 pm
Not to argue, but I find it strange that valves tend to loosen up at the engine breaks in. Normally, I would expect valves to tighten up as the valve seats in from use. This puts them deeper in the seat and reduces lash at the rocker. If the head gasket compresses any during thermal cycling, that too would reduce clearances since the head just got closer to the cam (a minute amount).

So, do the adjusters tend to slack off a bit? It would be the only explanation I'd be okay with it if happened to me. Although I'd be disappointed with my dealer or factory in their ability to set valve lash
Do the rocker to valve contact surfaces wear? I'd be disappointed if that was the case.
Do the adjuster tips wear? That would be discomforting, too.

Again, not arguing here. Trying to understand why new Urals behave in this manner.
Yes Sir all valid points
I will say this for Ivan
Easiest valve check I have ever done on a motorcycle
The 2 valve monster 750 required all kinds of nonsense including
A micrometer and sanding the closing shims on a plate of glass....I can see myself attempting the valves or jugs at a campsite or the side of the road if I had to
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:48 pm

Snakeoil wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 pm
Waz did not take his meds today. He is confusing head with valve cover gaskets.
I NEED meds also
Or just a tinfoil hat now
Would Reynolds wrap be okay or too fancy???
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind words and assistance
I think it will be an awesome rig once sorted

Really want to take it to the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon
There are campsites up some balm fireroads in the kaibab national forest right on the rim Magnificent

Anyone wants the info pm me since the spots are secluded and not real well known

We should organize a ride out and sidecar camp expedition there!!
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:52 pm

Sorry ‘BLM’

Hate autocorrect
2014 Ural Patrol