EFI after market fuel filter #

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: EFI after market fuel filter #

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 am

thanks Darrell, kind of what i was thinking. the WIX 33001 is plastic, but they make a metal version also #33031. what was concerning me was the pressure 4 to 6 lbs for non EFI on cars with adjustable/mechanical fuel pumps. read that EFI Harley's are 35 to 50 lbs which probably wouldn't be good for the carberated low pressure filters. but like you said the pre pump pressure on the Ural is very low as in gravity fed. just trying to get a local source Auto store filter supply. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:59 am

Albuquralque wrote:
ArgonV wrote:How often should one change the fuel filter? On my cars it wasn't much...
Manual says to inspect the in tank filter every 10,000 kms and replace the inline filter every 10,000 kms

I replace mine annually as part of spring prep.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm

Albuquralque wrote:
ArgonV wrote:How often should one change the fuel filter? On my cars it wasn't much...
Manual says to inspect the in tank filter every 10,000 kms and replace the inline filter every 10,000 kms
Mine’s not far away from this! :D

Hotflash the filter is on the suction side of the pump, so there’s no pressure.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Mr Wazzock, i have heard this from several folks, does make sense so probably any filter the same size as the Ural is okay to use. The auto store prices are a lot cheaper, the Ural OEM filter is about $8.95 with $13.00 shipping from Ural of new England. :cheers:, let me know what filter you use! :?:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Speedbump
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Speedbump » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:29 pm

Glen³
2015 Retro.

Yeah, I got something on the side.

Previous rides:
1977 GS550
1979 XS750

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Speedbump, okay i have heard enough,all the good guys seem to use this type of generic filter so i will also, thanks guys. what confused me was not understanding that the fuel before the pump isn't under pressure,just gravity as DonBMW suggested, just took awhile for that reasoning to sink in! :bow: :cheers:

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:49 pm

FWIW

Low pressure fuel filters are used between the tank fuel pump and the injector pump. High pressure filters are for between the injector pump and the injectors. On quite a few vehicles the injector pump cant prime, or maintain good delivery volume, from the fuel pump due to distance.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Burst pressure on the WIX 33031 is 60 psi
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 am

Albuquralque,just curious anyone know how much the Ural EFI pump pressure is? Shouldn't be to much its a very small pump. Think as to the filter itself my concerns have been addressed, i was initially concerned that the OEM location might have to much pressure to handle the cheap carberated type filters, that doesn't seem to be the case. thanks Guys for your help! :bow: :cheers:

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:14 am

hotflash44 wrote:Albuquralque,just curious anyone know how much the Ural EFI pump pressure is?

I've been told it is 30psi, but I have not verified that yet.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks, Darrell sounds about right. :cheers:

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:37 am

Difficult to find actual numbers, but for a car system Wikipedia is saying e.g. 40 - 50 psi.

(At risk of stating the flippin' obvious, it's nowhere near as much as is needed for a diesel.)

-
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

Arkansas_Traveler
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arkansas_Traveler » Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 am

Has anyone seen or tried one of these fuel filters (Russell 1/4 in. Inlet Black Alloy Gas Filter - R45030) on a FI Ural, it looks to be similar to the Golan billet filter that has a replaceable filter element, but at a much lower cost (Russel at $16 vs Golan at $55). They both look like they are meant for carbureted systems but since the Ural in-line filter is before the fuel pump I wouldn't think this should be an issue. I just wonder about fuel flow the Russel filters down to 40 microns but I can't find it's actual fuel flow other than it is rated for engines up to 300 hp. The Golan filters down to 10 microns and flows up to 6 gal. a minute.
I know there are a lot of experienced folks on this site, if someone with more knowledge than me wouldn't mind taking a look at this and let me know your thoughts. But, at $16.00 it might be worth experimenting with as long as you had a know usable filter on hand.

Thanks,
Larry
Benton, Arkansas
2016 Ural Gear-Up Woodland Camo
2008 HD Crossbones

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:04 am

Arkansas_Traveler wrote:Has anyone seen or tried one of these fuel filters (Russell 1/4 in. Inlet Black Alloy Gas Filter - R45030) on a FI Ural, it looks to be similar to the Golan billet filter that has a replaceable filter element, but at a much lower cost (Russel at $16 vs Golan at $55). They both look like they are meant for carbureted systems but since the Ural in-line filter is before the fuel pump I wouldn't think this should be an issue. I just wonder about fuel flow the Russel filters down to 40 microns but I can't find it's actual fuel flow other than it is rated for engines up to 300 hp. The Golan filters down to 10 microns and flows up to 6 gal. a minute.
I know there are a lot of experienced folks on this site, if someone with more knowledge than me wouldn't mind taking a look at this and let me know your thoughts. But, at $16.00 it might be worth experimenting with as long as you had a know usable filter on hand.

Thanks,
Larry
im glad you reopen this topic, i to was never sure on the EFI ural filter. folks much more informed than i say that because the filter is between the tank and the pump the pressure wouldn't be a issue. not sure the EFI pump pulls gas from the filter side into the pump then pressurizes the gas to go out the other side at what i would assume is rather high pressure to the injectors. if my thinking is correct the pressure on the tank(inlet) side would be rather low but on the exit side higher culminating in much higher pressure coming out of the pump.all this said on previous replies folks use several types of filters with out problems. think when the time comes i will just suck it up and buy OEM to be safe. :cheers:

Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: RE: Re: EFI after market fuel filter #

Post by Emoore » Thu May 24, 2018 12:05 pm

Agree.
hotflash44 wrote:
Arkansas_Traveler wrote:Has anyone seen or tried one of these fuel filters (Russell 1/4 in. Inlet Black Alloy Gas Filter - R45030) on a FI Ural, it looks to be similar to the Golan billet filter that has a replaceable filter element, but at a much lower cost (Russel at $16 vs Golan at $55). They both look like they are meant for carbureted systems but since the Ural in-line filter is before the fuel pump I wouldn't think this should be an issue. I just wonder about fuel flow the Russel filters down to 40 microns but I can't find it's actual fuel flow other than it is rated for engines up to 300 hp. The Golan filters down to 10 microns and flows up to 6 gal. a minute.

Thanks,
Larry
im glad you reopen this topic, i to was never sure on the EFI ural filter. folks much more informed than i say that because the filter is between the tank and the pump the pressure wouldn't be a issue. not sure the EFI pump pulls gas from the filter side into the pump then pressurizes the gas to go out the other side at what i would assume is rather high pressure to the injectors. if my thinking is correct the pressure on the tank(inlet) side would be rather low but on the exit side higher culminating in much higher pressure coming out of the pump.all this said on previous replies folks use several types of filters with out problems. think when the time comes i will just suck it up and buy OEM to be safe. :cheers:
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Ernest
2003 Patrol (Medusa)
2012 Ural T Olive (Roulette)
2017 Ural CT ( Grey Hex)

Wake Forest, NC

"Train with what you have, Not what you wished you had"