knock, knock whos there?

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

knock, knock whos there?

Post by hotflash44 » Sat May 06, 2017 11:26 am

This is probably a, they all do that issue, i hope. 2016 gu 1700km a knock once every revolution on the side car drive shaft. Have replaced the fd end u-joint and greased it and the spline and the spline shaft no ware on the splines. Also put the car shaft in perfect phase. checked for any rubbing under the car and anything loose nothing. If i raise the car wheel it spins no noise, can roll the bike back and forth no noise. Only when my monkey and i are on the bike riding. At speed i cant hear the knock, but as i slow down it will knock about once every revolution on the shaft. Actually im not convinced its the shaft or u-joints as they are all new and are firm no movement. To the experts out there, is it normal and might go away with more miles. Or could it be something in the wheel bearing area or inside the final drive. The bike runs great other wise. im puzzled! Tomorrow i will drive it without the monkey and see if that makes a difference. I will keep you posted as i work on this problem. Thanks for any and all advice!
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: knock, knock whos there?

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Put the rear wheel up on the stand or jack. Spin in and see if you feel/hear anything.

Start the bike and put it in first gear and slowly turn the gearbox and final drive with the engine. Hear/feel anything?
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:27 pm

thanks i will try, appreciate the quick response.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:32 pm

still looking, raised the rear wheel, and ran the engine in 1st gear slowly , didn't make the noise im trying to find. boy is it elusive. I probably will use the tried and true never fail method, let it go until its quite obvious what and where its at. bike still under guarantee,the dealer so far hasent been able to hear the noise. if it continues all the time he will eventually hear it and ill get it fixed.

RobH
Party Member
Party Member

Post by RobH » Sat May 06, 2017 7:35 pm

you may want to make sure the sidecar drive shaft is phased properly. My 2014 was not... it made a clunk every revolution until I corrected it.

R.
Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

2014 G.U.
1999 Honda ST1100
1981 BMW R100RT
1971 BMW R60/5
1965 Honda CB77

Peter Pan
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Peter Pan » Sun May 07, 2017 3:54 am

If not bearings:
donut? u-joints? bent shafts touching the tub? - then there should be some scraped paint on the shaft.
Out of round back wheel?
broken spokes?
In November my son got one deng per final drive revolution when under load.
Cause: the crown was broken due to a totally worn double trust bearing of the attack pinion. (we go home the 60 (90) km on a turned around half of the double trust bearing)
Good luck searching.
Sven
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:50 am

thanks guys, ill let you know when i find the problem.

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sun May 07, 2017 6:56 am

Your hose clamp on side car shaft booty is hitting the gaurd.
When suspension on ural under load

Lee Pape
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Lee Pape » Sun May 07, 2017 10:20 am

Sidecar drive shaft bent and hitting on the bottom of the tub?
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks guys, but no and no. Shaft not hitting on anything. Things i have done had a drive line shop install a new u-joint at the final drive end of the side car shaft. other end is good. while it was off i greased the spline and the shaft spline hole, and made sure all was in phase i can sight down the shaft joint cap to cap all aliened perfect. makes the slight clunk sound with monkey or without. One sound every revolution of the shaft . I can only hear when going slow especially when in a corner cant hear at speed to much engine/wind noise. I raised the car wheel and spun by hand no noise,i raised the pusher wheel started the engine in first gear slowly no noise. i lubed everything i could find that moved still haven't found the noise. doesn't seem to effect the drive ability of the bike.

Burt1713
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Burt1713 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:52 pm

You might try taking the sidecar driveshaft off of the bike and go for a ride to see if the noise goes away.
2017 cT "Woody Moose"
2002 Ural solo bobber/chopper (work in progress) “Symphony of Destruction”
1997 Sportster "Scarlet Speedster"
1984 Honda Interceptor "Cornfield Express" (Gone)

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm

okay here is where im at on this issue, came to the notion that my click is normal . Not having had a Ural before im just learning its unique quirks/sounds. Did all the above advice, including raising the wheels and running the engine in first gear while the drive wheel was up. Nothing no noise! My dealer Ural mechanic that the click is normal and not to be concerned. what convinced me was a youtube video probably by one of our people that mounted a camera near the side car drive shaft and rode for 30 minutes, i could see the shaft moving up and down and in and out at the spline joint area. easy to see why and how the shaft could make some noises.the shaft really works hard even when not in 2wheel drive. so im done, and feel comfortable that all is okay.

Roadking
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Roadking » Fri May 12, 2017 5:08 pm

I had the same issue. It was the bolts on the sidecar brake rotor. Check that the bolts (I think there are 5) holding the rotor to the wheel are all tight. Look at the inside of the frame to see any evidence of rubbing or wear.
2014 Ural Sage Green Gear Up (The Crazy Russian)
2001 HD Roadking FLHRI

Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away and he'll have no shoes.

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:25 pm

didn't consider the rotor bolts, thanks,ill check. If that isn't the issue im done, toast ,through, etc. The dealer didn't seem to thing it is a problem im begging to think its just the movement of the slip joint in the side car shaft. I will let you all know if it changes . thanks for all the great advice.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 pm

The fact that you could not get the noise with the bike/hack raised up says that it is related to how the rid sits under it's weight. You might want to jack the hack up again and this time, jack on the swingarm to emulate the hack resting on the ground and compressing the suspension. Same for the rear pusher wheel, although jacking it up on the swingarm might be a bit of a challenge. Do yo know anyone with racing stands. If you do, borrow a rear stand and lift the rear wheel up that way. It will keep the weight on the suspension.

Another suggestion is since it does it with or without a monkey aboard, put the monkey to use. Get a piece of plastic tubing and have the monkey use it like a stethoscope to try and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Just be careful where the monkey puts his/her hands with the rig moving. Could get ugly fast.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".