Connected to ECU's and Balanced Throttle Bodies!!!!!!!

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
BlueRockCrawler
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Connected to ECU's and Balanced Throttle Bodies!!!!!!!

Post by BlueRockCrawler » Fri May 12, 2017 7:41 pm

E.scott wrote:Hey all,

Thanks so much for this post. Great info! Just got everything up and running today, slapped it on the bike and I'm good to go. Couple of quick questions. I'm using the blue tooth unit on android phone. Can I ask, I've seen some folks with a voltage meter set up. What PID are you using to get this info? Maybe I'm looking right at it but can't seem to find it.

Also, as a relative newbie to some of this can I ask, what should the tolerance be that I'm shooting for in Kpa in variation in the two sides? Right now I'm fluctuating between a 1-4 variance Kpa both at idle and at 1500/1800 rpm. Most of the time it's more like 1 or 2 Kpa variance.

Thanks all for the help and this great info.

Eric
What program are you using? The voltage at the adapter should be available as an option when you put another gauge on your dashboard without any special work involved.
2020 KTM Duke 790
2018 Suzuki DR 650
previous bikes were
1993 Suzuki DR 650
2015 Ural Patrol
1996 750 Magna
2002 750 shadow A.C.E.
2004 919
1985 500 Magna

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Fri May 12, 2017 9:01 pm

Here's a link to the standard OBD2 pids and the formulas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Fri May 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Not sure if the Ural ECU's monitor it, but it should be PID 42 - Control Module Voltage
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

E.scott
Comrade
Comrade

Post by E.scott » Fri May 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for that info Darrell.
Eric

2015 Ural Patrol
1988 Harley Davidson Sportster

rebelrider
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by rebelrider » Tue May 16, 2017 12:49 am

All the hardware is in!
Got the wires identified, and the molex connector came with its own pins. :)

Unfortunately, the scan tool didn't come with an activation key for the software. Hopefully the company will respond soon so I can move forward.
Mike
Image2014 Ural M70 "Trogdor"
1987 Honda CMX250C "Rebel"
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"
1971 Honda SL100

Roadking
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Roadking » Tue May 16, 2017 8:32 am

rebelrider wrote:All the hardware is in!
Got the wires identified, and the molex connector came with its own pins. :)

Unfortunately, the scan tool didn't come with an activation key for the software. Hopefully the company will respond soon so I can move forward.
The activation key is a label on the direction sheet.
2014 Ural Sage Green Gear Up (The Crazy Russian)
2001 HD Roadking FLHRI

Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away and he'll have no shoes.

rebelrider
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by rebelrider » Wed May 17, 2017 2:37 am

The key on my direction sheet was x'ed out. But the folks at Scan Tool quickly gave me a proper key! :)
Also, My M70 plug has the reversed power pins just like others with M70s and Retros have reported.
Mike
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"
1971 Honda SL100

rebelrider
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by rebelrider » Wed May 24, 2017 12:13 pm

I've had mixed results with both my camera and my OBDII setup. Here's a less than well done video of my work in progress.

Also, I've been trying to add subtitles, but I think they're all being saved as closed captions.
Mike
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"
1971 Honda SL100

flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Post by flcruiser2302 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:47 am

Here goes a stupid question. I have read that the OR 1.02 makes the bike run really rich. For one, that's against everything the EPA does, but anyway. When making a motor breathe better, air cleaner improvements and exhaust mods, like eliminating the cats, that usually changes the AFR even leaner, I have purchased an EJK to compensate for this and am told I will not need it due to the OR 1.02. Question is, now that you guys have figured out how to tap into the ECU's, can't the EFI maps be manipulated? Sure would be nifty to be able it fine tune your AFR.
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT
2-1 exhaust with cats removed, K&N drop in filter installed along with Dobeck EJK set at stock settings.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 am

These are only scan tools. About the only thing of which I'm aware that you can manipulate with them is to shut off fault indicator lights. To my knowledge, no one but the dealer (and ElectroJet) has the ability to load a new fuel injection map onto the computers. Speaking of which, the OR 1.02-loaded computers do a great job with open exhaust mods. If you've got the original EPA-compliant map loaded, the Dobeck EJK is one method to achieve better fueling. My personal opinion? It's an expensive, time-consuming solution to a problem that can be addressed in under 20 minutes at a dealer, via a simple software load.

Also, your comment amused me:
I have read that the OR 1.02 makes the bike run really rich. For one, that's against everything the EPA does, but anyway.
That statement gave me the impression that you were morally opposed to violating EPA regulations. But I see a few sentences down that:
I have purchased an EJK to compensate for this
Seems like mixed signals, unless I interpreted your previous statement incorrectly.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:14 am

Tomcatfixer wrote:These are only scan tools. About the only thing of which I'm aware that you can manipulate with them is to shut off fault indicator lights. To my knowledge, no one but the dealer (and ElectroJet) has the ability to load a new fuel injection map onto the computers. Speaking of which, the OR 1.02-loaded computers do a great job with open exhaust mods. If you've got the original EPA-compliant map loaded, the Dobeck EJK is one method to achieve better fueling. My personal opinion? It's an expensive, time-consuming solution to a problem that can be addressed in under 20 minutes at a dealer, via a simple software load.

FWIW, a "20 minutes at dealer" to check EFI map was expensive. I had a rather large and surprising bill for that and some simple things. In my view, not very much is very inexpensive at a dealer. Heck, even simple exhaust gaskets and valve cover gaskets are quite $$ in my opinion...

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Post by flcruiser2302 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:13 pm

Tomcatfixer wrote:These are only scan tools. About the only thing of which I'm aware that you can manipulate with them is to shut off fault indicator lights. To my knowledge, no one but the dealer (and ElectroJet) has the ability to load a new fuel injection map onto the computers. Speaking of which, the OR 1.02-loaded computers do a great job with open exhaust mods. If you've got the original EPA-compliant map loaded, the Dobeck EJK is one method to achieve better fueling. My personal opinion? It's an expensive, time-consuming solution to a problem that can be addressed in under 20 minutes at a dealer, via a simple software load.

Also, your comment amused me:
I have read that the OR 1.02 makes the bike run really rich. For one, that's against everything the EPA does, but anyway.
That statement gave me the impression that you were morally opposed to violating EPA regulations. But I see a few sentences down that:
I have purchased an EJK to compensate for this
Seems like mixed signals, unless I interpreted your previous statement incorrectly.
Chad, I am not a tree hugger by no means. I was just stating that in my limited experience, EFI maps are created to please the EPA, not the customer. I am a customer that wants a machine that runs optimally. After finally getting the EJk installed, I can attest, that my bike runs great! Needed or not, the EJK smoothed out everything about this thing. It pulls like a bull, feels, by just my seat of pants, much more "torquey" and runs really smooth at high and low speeds. I absolutely love it. Until I talk to Gene tomorrow, I do not know what OR I have, but I am not changing!!
I will be posting some pics of my new windshield tomorrow, worked out great cost a whopping $25 and the wife loves it! She says it's much less turbulent in her seat than the stock shield and a taller glass I installed in stock frame. Cheers all and thanks again for all the help!
Question, who is it that made the wheel bearing tool? I owe them some money!!!
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT
2-1 exhaust with cats removed, K&N drop in filter installed along with Dobeck EJK set at stock settings.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 pm

I was just stating that in my limited experience, EFI maps are created to please the EPA, not the customer.
Fair enough. Glad you achieved fueling satisfaction.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:57 pm

flcruiser2302 wrote:Here goes a stupid question. I have read that the OR 1.02 makes the bike run really rich.
Actually no it doesn't, it makes it run properly. At the moment I am consistently getting about 41 mpg US (= 48 UK) with the OR map.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: RE: Re: Connected to ECU's and Balanced Throttle Bodies!!!!!!!

Post by Emoore » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
flcruiser2302 wrote:Here goes a stupid question. I have read that the OR 1.02 makes the bike run really rich.
Actually no it doesn't, it makes it run properly. At the moment I am consistently getting about 41 mpg US (= 48 UK) with the OR map.
Does this apply to the 17 as well. I'm still having issues with it stalling at long stops.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Ernest
2012 Ural T Olive (Roulette)
2011 Patrol (OTTO)
Yamaha FZ07 ( My need for speed )

Wake Forest, NC

John Wayne - Life's Hard. It's Even Harder When You're Stupid.