Steering damper replacement - New Photos

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Steering damper replacement - New Photos

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:03 am

I'm sick and fragging tired of these OEM dampers. One total failure and two rebuilds on new one lead me to believe these things are junk. I've decided to enlist the collective and find quality replacements.

OEM damper - 90mm stroke. 25mm body diameter. 40mm minimum length. 255mm maximum length. 8mm bolts in universal joint. Adjustable.

First prospect. Ohlins SD002. 90mm stroke. 34.5mm minimum length. 275.5 maximum length. 8mm bolts to universal. Twin tube body. Adjustable. ARO $400. I'll settle for rebuilds unless we can find another substitute. Here's some data.

https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motor ... 002--4477/
Last edited by GHGoodwin on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Steering damper replacement?

Post by redtails » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:19 am

I've looked for a suitable replacement, not urgent because mine is still "okay". I'd like to put an Ohlins but the one you suggest appears to have a non-adjustable mount to the frame that seems too far in. Were you thinking of changing the mount?
- Jon
2014 Patrol Red/White "Uranus"

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:27 am

It'll definitely need a new bracket for the main frame but should bolt directly onto the steering head. My main concern with this one is clearance. The working diameter on this is larger then the OEM when you measure across the two tubes. I'm looking for more detailed dimensions so I can test fit a mockup. I'm also looking for a local distributor to talk to.
Hal

It's a long list.

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Wanderrad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:30 am

Wondering about the 2016 version from IMZ.
:lurker:
-Scot

Current rides:
2018 Gear Up, Olive Drab Matte "Bad Penny"
2018 H-D Road King Special, Industrial Gray Denim

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eastbloc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm

Hal, do you think it's possible running heavier weight oil in it makes failure more likely? It seems like it would put more strain on the seals.

I mean, mine leaks with factory 10W, but I have to imagine it would need to work harder with 40W like you put in (and as I planned to do). The 40W certainly does make a big difference in stiffness but it seemed to leak even more effusively.
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic
'09 BMW F800GS

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:22 pm

Actually I used 70wt instead of 40wt. I had some lying around from a shock rebuild on a friends motocross bike. Mine wound up being dialed down to click three from the full-loose end stop.

I'm not sure failure is the correct word. They don't "fail" as in break but they leak oil/suck air from the ends until they don't function anymore. My observations are that the main culprit is the small shaft seal intends of the end ca/main tube seal. I think the manufacturing tolerances are sloppy enough that the seals don't compress enough. They might also just be a bad compound for what they're being used for. The ones I have are designed for oil resistance. I haven't had any reports of the center oil seal being non-functional but I'd be glad to be corrected.

You have a good point about the oil weight but my thinking was that a heavier oil would be tougher to push out as the damper worked back and forth. I think it was Dale who started using 40wt.

At this point I think there are only two choices. First - Replace the dampers with something that works. Second - Design and produce a tool that makes removing the ends easy and the damper becomes part or regular maintenance.

I put this thread up so the collective could think it over with me.
Last edited by GHGoodwin on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hal

It's a long list.

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:25 pm

I did this after seeing one at Heindl's open house last summer. Couple thousand km on it now and am extremely pleased with it. $30 plus some hardware. http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... er#p520585
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eastbloc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:53 pm

Hal, I tried a few different things but ultimately found a cheap coax cable crimping tool in my toolbox that happened to mate perfectly with the 3 and 9 o'clock positions in the damper covers. It's not exactly like this one but it's the same concept, mine is some disposable Taiwanese POS I've had laying around for a decade.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV01 ... =coax+tool

I don't think the heavier oil will make it harder to push out. It may be thicker, but the forces applied to the seals are pretty significant. Certainly significant enough that heavier oil will push through, and they could very well deform faster. I'd say we could try 5W to see if it would ease up on the device, but unless the damper is effective at lower levels of resistance it's a moot point. The amount of force required for the desirable effect on steering would necessitate the same amount of internal pressure on the seals, you'd just be moving where that spot was on the adjuster knob by changing weights.

Even a tiny amount of missing fluid makes the damper useless, as it will flop like a fish in the first few mm of back and forth movement as if it wasn't there. That's a functional failure, and it means I haven't actually ridden my bike with a functional damper yet at all. Looking forward to getting those seals :lol: are you ever going to give up your source?
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic
'09 BMW F800GS

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:08 pm

east bloc wrote: Looking forward to getting those seals :lol: are you ever going to give up your source?
End cap rings - McMaster-Carr. 5.8mm x 2.4mm and 6.8mm x 1.9mm. Buna-N oil resistant rubber. I have the remains of a bag of 100 of each. Sent out about 40 overall (20 sets).

Center piston seal ring - TCS(or TC4) Action Seal. 8mm x 16mm x 9mm. Not sold in US. Fits some trials bikes sold in Europe. For what I'm not sure, but I think they're shock parts. Had a friend in Norway buy 20 and send them to me. Have 11 left. They were a major PIA to source but I'm a little OCD about stuff like this. I REALLY - REALLY don't like things that you can't repair or get parts for. Ural ownership has only made that condition worse. :P

As an afterthought. The problem might also have been cheap oil in the OEM units.
Hal

It's a long list.

Ernest Becker
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Ernest Becker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Mmmmm. Put an Ohlins on and that-thar will be the finest part of the entire rig.
2015 Urinal cT (put the 'in' into Ural)
500EXC and 200XCW
280TXT

eastbloc
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eastbloc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:28 pm

I'm ready to take an old bed spring at this point and just tie it around the old steering damper brackets :lol:
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic
'09 BMW F800GS

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:16 am

Ohlins on a Ural. Now that is an expensive accessory. As many of us who have installed Ohlins shocks on our BMW's you can never get back what you paid for them when you go to sell the bike/rig. So if you go that direction keep you current damper and re-install it when you sell adding that "if you want the Olins it will cost you..." or sell separately used to someone here.

I'm surprised that the damper has not been improved of yet. When I test drove a 2014 I was told that they were going with a different manufacturer with heavier oil and better gasketing/seals. I did like the better handling with the damper but I had to have it clicked all the way up to make a difference. Asking a lot of it. Maybe even a bigger diameter damper specific to sidecar use. Guess that never happened. Or was it just a bad batch early on?
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by barnone » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Damn, I left the VW damper that I bought and never installed on my long gone 2012 Yamal in NC.

Wanderrad
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Wanderrad » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:31 am

Has anyone tried the off-road damper from uralne? It looks very similar to the VW damper mod.
-Scot

Current rides:
2018 Gear Up, Olive Drab Matte "Bad Penny"
2018 H-D Road King Special, Industrial Gray Denim

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:05 am

This link should help. Interesting info.

http://sidestrider.com/steering.htm
Hal

It's a long list.