Disheartened

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Disheartened

Post by redtails » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Roadking wrote:So how do we let our beloved Urals know that we are fully bonded? :lol:
And to start behaving.
Might be worth entertaining the thought, however I think its akin to "herding cats"... :feelsgood:
- Jon
2014 Patrol Red/White "Uranus"

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Adamant, Vermont, USA (yes, it's really a place name)

Post by Trevorski » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Yes, here we go via time machine to the fretting about whether people will still be able to "bond with their Urals (a mere three months ago):
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... ir#p408375

...or is it that we're in bondage to our Urals...

I've not yet hit upon the magic incantation or ceremony to get my '14 to accept that we're indeed bonded. I'd arrived at an uneasy truce with my 95. Research is ongoing...
2014 Asphalt Gray Gear Up: "Drastic Measures"
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...
1995 Ural Tourist = "The Red Menace" owned 2007-April 2014.

GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 am

I'm doing my research on a trailer and an planning on getting one. But my gripe remains solid. 500mile round trip and either hotel for a night or two or return trip at later date. Either way the "warranty service " still costs me a couple of hundred bucks for each trip and I'm not even including the trailer part. At least I still have a ride. :wink:

FWIW - 200k plus yesterday looking at motorcycle trailers. Guess which bike I took? :)
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:57 am

I'm sorry to hear that. You have done so many mods and fix's (some way over my head) to make it a better bike for you. Hoping that all the current experience's you guys are having and fixing will be incorporated at the factory level. Don't have to wait for 2015.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm getting out my magic wand and pixie dust and I'm gonna fix this for you guys!

Fiction mode ON.

Ural has announced a new service starting in July of this year, buying a small fleet of service vans that are fully stocked with replacement parts, including engines and transmissions, along with EFI programming units, and a full complement of tires, spare parts, and a factory trained service technician.

These Technicians will perform on-location service, alignmments, maintainence and repairs, including warranty repairs at no cost, in the less densely populated (read: no dealer network) areas of the USA.

This is expected to save owners who live far from a servicing dealer, time, money, and most of all, aggravation.

Call today to set up your appointment!

Fiction mode OFF.

Your welcome.

:mrgreen:
Rural Ural in Tulia Texas!

Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Trevorski » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:38 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:I'm getting out my magic wand and pixie dust and I'm gonna fix this for you guys!

Fiction mode ON.

Ural has announced a new service starting in July of this year, buying a small fleet of service vans that are fully stocked with replacement parts, including engines and transmissions, along with EFI programming units, and a full complement of tires, spare parts, and a factory trained service technician.

These Technicians will perform on-location service, alignmments, maintainence and repairs, including warranty repairs at no cost, in the less densely populated (read: no dealer network) areas of the USA.

This is expected to save owners who live far from a servicing dealer, time, money, and most of all, aggravation.

Call today to set up your appointment!

Fiction mode OFF.

Your welcome.

While we're fantasizing, I've heard that UPS or Fedex would eventually like to have small unmanned drones accomplish package delivery; how about an IMZ drone that can bring small parts and download EFI maps.
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Trevorski » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:45 pm

GHGoodwin wrote:I'm doing my research on a trailer and an planning on getting one. But my gripe remains solid. 500mile round trip and either hotel for a night or two or return trip at later date. Either way the "warranty service " still costs me a couple of hundred bucks for each trip and I'm not even including the trailer part. At least I still have a ride. :wink:

FWIW - 200k plus yesterday looking at motorcycle trailers. Guess which bike I took? :)
I'd say "I feel your pain" except I really dislike that expression. If misery loves company, by the time I return home from my next appointment next week to get to the bottom of the downshifts that don't happen properly from 4-3 after the bike is warm, I will have driven about 1,000 miles in multiple round trips for service. Thankfully I already owned a small trailer. I can say that I am getting really, really good support from IMZ in getting the bike to the place that it will be everything that it can/ should be.

I am trying to take "the long view"- my 1995 that I had for 7 years was a "first year (in the USA officially) model" and an education in "run what ya brung" - reminded me to enjoy what is, not what isn't - and I believe that the '14s have all the right ingredients to be really enjoyable machines, once we get through some new-model sorting out.
1976 Kawasaki KE125

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Trevorski wrote:
While we're fantasizing, I've heard that UPS or Fedex would eventually like to have small unmanned drones accomplish package delivery; how about an IMZ drone that can bring small parts and download EFI maps.
Will that IMZ drone have a kickstarter?

Rural Ural in Tulia Texas!

Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:26 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:
Trevorski wrote:

Nope. But - you'll know that its coming cause it'll backfire a lot. Especially the earlier models. :P
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Thermos » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:09 pm

cdscoot wrote:My 2010 Ural hhas seen less warranty work than my 2006 chevy!
That's because there are no Ural dealers near you. ha ha

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
When you come to the fork in the road, take it!
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

2011 Orange/Silver Patrol
2017 CRF1000 Africa Twin
1977 R100S
http://tomtomandjoesorangeanviltour.blogspot.com/

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... it=Thermos
former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

roger99a
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by roger99a » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:
Trevorski wrote:

It won't work with the E F I. :P
Roger

2007 Patrol, the 'trol
Central California

ClimberClint
Comrade
Comrade

Post by ClimberClint » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Hang in there! I've had troubles too ...but the fun (to me) is worth it! Give Ural a chance to fix the issues on warranty ...this is a new year for the engines ;)

Leftka
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Leftka » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Sorry to hear this Hal...I feel your pain.
Leftka
Naples, FL
2012 "Red October" Tourist, Ursula
128/40 Jets
Harmonized at 10" hg
Dynojet DNO106 Needles, 3rd Notch From Bottom
Leftka 3, ALLuminum Custom Airbox
K & N MG 200 Filter Element
7/64" Drilled Carb Slides
Power Arc Ignition with VOES Advance/Retard
Mod Top Mufflers on Stock Headers
Parabellum Scout Fairing
Retro Lighting
Left Hand Throttle, Front Brake and Clutch

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Trevorski » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:28 pm

Hal, if you need any more "misery loves company" today I went to move my Ural in the barn to get out some yard equipment and noticed a patch of oil under the final drive, coming from the front seal. I know that others have had this, and I'd hoped I'd escaped it, but it looks like it's now on the list of things for the trip to the dealer this coming Wednesday.

Still no regrets at acquiring this rig (am I stubborn, or what?)... but I do look forward an awful lot to resolution of these issues so that I can focus on and enjoy riding it.
1976 Kawasaki KE125

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Trevorski wrote:If it's any source of comfort (or gallows humor) remember that back around December '13 or January '14 there was a great pi$$ing and moaning from some folks that Urals would lose all "character" and new owners would miss out on opportunities to "bond" with their bikes in the process of sorting out each bike's quirks....

+1 on this....I know it took about six months to get my 2007 Gear Up sorted out and in comparison, I've been amazed that all the lights and turn signals work 100% of the time on the 2014 Patrol. Have the usual FD leak, side car brake lock up adjustment issues, EFI update...even had to replace the speedometer at 89kms....but all in all I've been very happy. I figure I still have a few months left. :D

Kilometers
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU