Disheartened

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Disheartened

Post by GHGoodwin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Brake problems. Bad EFI programming. Now I've developed a pretty good rear transmission oil seal leak at 1000km. 250 miles one way to dealer to fix. Don't own a trailer. FRAK this bike. If URAL wants to buy it back I'll be glad to get rid of it. Let dealer keep the profit.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Disheartened

Post by chaos2 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Sorry to hear that Hal. The brakes and FI I can understand but the oil seals should be tried and true bits. Hope you can work something out with IMZ and Heindl.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

TerryG
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TerryG » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Hal, Sorry you have had so many problems. At least you kept the 'old' one - didn't you?
Terry

2011 Retro
2000 Bavarian Classic (Gone but never forgotten)

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:31 am

TerryG wrote:Hal, Sorry you have had so many problems. At least you kept the 'old' one - didn't you?
Yeah. The old ones fine. I'd trade for another "old" one in a minute. Worst part of it is I bought this because my wife expressed an interest in learning to ride and thought one of these might be a better deal for her. Tough love part is now that she's been in/on both she likes my older one better.

Don't get me wrong. The 2014 isn't a bad bike - I'm just sick of the PIA and the fact that it appears that the best accessory for one of these is a good trailer.
Hal

It's a long list.

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by thumper05flstsc » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:12 am

Sorry it's not going well with the new Rig. A dealer (whom shall remain nameless) recently told me that he will not floor any 14's until the EFI issue is corrected.
"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:15 am

:lurker: :
Last edited by gobium on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roadking
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Roadking » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:58 am

I feel for you Hal. Sometimes you try to do the right thing and it backfires. If you're in a position to get it back to the dealer (maybe they will pick it up) and keep it there until they have the issues corrected you can start over.
2014 Ural Sage Green Gear Up (The Crazy Russian)
2001 HD Roadking FLHRI

Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away and he'll have no shoes.

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by barnone » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:08 am

Luckily for me my no problem except for the wheel recall 2012 Yamal didn't sell for a decent price and I ended up keeping her and not getting a 2014.
When I suggested a 2014 only thread I was put down by some here because they said it was not needed.

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:53 am

I'll get it fixed but this bike will probably wind up in the back of the shop on a battery tender and covered with a bed sheet. I'll use it when the 2012 is down for repairs.
Hal

It's a long list.

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Adamant, Vermont, USA (yes, it's really a place name)

Post by Trevorski » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Hang in there Hal. I've had more 'teething' issues on my '14 than I expected, but remain hopeful (stubborn?) that at its core it will be a very good machine. Urals all take some TLC to get to and stay at their best and we're all still learning the specifics of what that is for the 2014s.
2014 Asphalt Gray Gear Up: "Drastic Measures"
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...
1995 Ural Tourist = "The Red Menace" owned 2007-April 2014.

Mikehusa
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Mikehusa » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:44 pm

GHGoodwin wrote:
TerryG wrote:Hal, Sorry you have had so many problems. At least you kept the 'old' one - didn't you?
Yeah. The old ones fine. I'd trade for another "old" one in a minute. Worst part of it is I bought this because my wife expressed an interest in learning to ride and thought one of these might be a better deal for her. Tough love part is now that she's been in/on both she likes my older one better.

Don't get me wrong. The 2014 isn't a bad bike - I'm just sick of the PIA and the fact that it appears that the best accessory for one of these is a good trailer.
Sorry to hear about the problems. I've got a well sorted Yamal I'll trade you for. 13.5K on the clock.
2012 Yamal

redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by redtails » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:14 pm

I've heard someone once say, "Motorcycles are made in between thinking of sex and getting drunk."

Motorcycles in general can be infuriating, Urals are definitely no exception. I've had motorcycles that I cut my losses with (sold) that gave me less of a headache than my Ural. And my Ural has been in for more warranty issues than any other vehicle I've owned, at least that I can remember. And yet, when I ride my Ural, I get a joy that is inexplicable given the Ural's simplicity. So yeah, I keep it, ride it more than my other three bikes, and complain about its ills. So Hal, I feel your pain... :wink:
- Jon
2014 Patrol Red/White "Uranus"

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Post by cdscoot » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:41 pm

My 2010 Ural hhas seen less warranty work than my 2006 chevy!
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Adamant, Vermont, USA (yes, it's really a place name)

Post by Trevorski » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:44 pm

If it's any source of comfort (or gallows humor) remember that back around December '13 or January '14 there was a great pi$$ing and moaning from some folks that Urals would lose all "character" and new owners would miss out on opportunities to "bond" with their bikes in the process of sorting out each bike's quirks.... I'm not making light of the frustration or disappointment: mine is again/ still down for an issue of failing to downshift 4 to 3- scheduled to go in again next week...
2014 Asphalt Gray Gear Up: "Drastic Measures"
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...
1995 Ural Tourist = "The Red Menace" owned 2007-April 2014.

Roadking
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Roadking » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Trevorski wrote:If it's any source of comfort (or gallows humor) remember that back around December '13 or January '14 there was a great pi$$ing and moaning from some folks that Urals would lose all "character" and new owners would miss out on opportunities to "bond" with their bikes in the process of sorting out each bike's quirks.... I'm not making light of the frustration or disappointment: mine is again/ still down for an issue of failing to downshift 4 to 3- scheduled to go in again next week...
So how do we let our beloved Urals know that we are fully bonded? :lol:
And to start behaving.
2014 Ural Sage Green Gear Up (The Crazy Russian)
2001 HD Roadking FLHRI

Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Then he'll be a mile away and he'll have no shoes.