2014 Ural dealers - the good, bad and ugly

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Adamant, Vermont, USA (yes, it's really a place name)

Re: 2014 Ural dealers - the good, bad and ugly

Post by Trevorski » Sun May 25, 2014 11:02 am

Agree with Mr. Cob and applaud Beemerless Bob for keeping a good outlook about his Ural in the face of some inexcusably shoddy service by two dealers.

I can't say that I am entirely pleased with the set-up on my '14, but at the same time, I am not to the point of wanting to name names.

I see some tricky balances in this subject. A dealer that is used to other machines (and dealing with other companies (and "other brand customers")) may have a learning curve not only for the mechanics but also for the business folks and management. In the long run, _if_ dealers can learn that when it comes to Urals, the machines, the company, and the customers are not run-of-the mill and may require some additional "interaction"- but that the interaction will lead to good outcomes- then it's in everyone's interests to expand the number and geographic distribution of Ural dealers.

But if a dealer just wants to shove machines out the door and then give lame excuses, everyone is better off without them.
2014 Asphalt Gray Gear Up: "Drastic Measures"
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...
1995 Ural Tourist = "The Red Menace" owned 2007-April 2014.

Trevorski
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Adamant, Vermont, USA (yes, it's really a place name)

Post by Trevorski » Sun May 25, 2014 11:44 am

BeemerlessBob wrote:Update: I was about to haul the rig back to Austin and let them work on it again.
Then I told the SA Ducati dealer to order the needed parts and if not warranted, I would pay out-of-pocket then I would take it up with IMWA.
I'm tired of screwing with it and arguing with dealers. If I'm out some $$$, so be it - at least I get to ride.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you certain that it is warped rotors (the first conclusion that people jump to whenever a disc brake has any pulsation or vibration) and not "brake judder" (something that I am still learning about but that I think that I have occurring on the front of my '14):

http://www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/t ... judder.pdf

http://www.ferodo.com/en-gb/TechnicalSu ... oblem.aspx
2014 Asphalt Gray Gear Up: "Drastic Measures"
PNW Engine Guard, Biltwell "Tracker" handlebars, Depner 2-lever gated quadrant shifter... more in progress....
1976 Kawasaki KE125
2009 Royal Enfield AVL Scrambler- someone else's uncompleted project that I'll someday finish...
1995 Ural Tourist = "The Red Menace" owned 2007-April 2014.

sagerat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by sagerat » Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 pm

I can say Ski at Tri Quest is top shelf. I've ordered from him on the phone, I've stopped in his shop a couple of times on vacation, and he's the perfect dealer: a sharp businessman AND a Ural enthusiast.

Should my 2004 ever finally head to that Great Garage in the Sky, I'd go to Ski and I live 120 miles east of Raceway in Salem.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by BeemerlessBob » Fri May 30, 2014 6:05 pm

New update.

After a lot of "persuasion", the SA dealer got off their position of not doing warranty repairs and trying to make me go back to the original dealer. I'm not sure I understand why they started out being so horsey. I'm guessing doing warranty work is a lot of hassle and they don't want to do it if you bought the rig somewhere else. After I stated that I would take it up with IMWA directly, I don't think they wanted me to do that. Also, my brother recently purchased an expensive Ducati from them and had stopped by and visited with them concerning the status of my rig and I don't think that hurt either.

So anyway, this week, attitudes changed and they started treating me like a customer. The bent clutch arm was replaced with a new arm instead of just bending it back. Not sure why it ever bent in the first place. The problem with my brakes appears to have been resolved as well. As it turns out one of the pads in the caliper was cockeyed and the cover plate had been crammed back on tight not allowing the pad to be straight resulting is mushy and inconsistent braking. He repaired that and the brakes seems to work fine now. I don't know if this was bad dealer setup or an error at the factory. Ivan having a bad day?

The rig was badly out of alignment and some other issues that they fixed as well. The chair had a tendency to fly fairly easy and now that they realigned it, it is much more stable. I had to pay for the alignment and inspection of the rig but the clutch arm and brake repairs were done under warranty.

After spending some time with the master mechanic there (Ben), I'm impressed with his skills and knowledge of Urals.

After 3 weeks do trying to get this thing safe to ride, I think I'm finally there! I rode about 150k this afternoon and after long last, I have a grin on my face. Runs great, handles great and it stops if I use the brakes. Life is good.

I therefore, change, my recommendation of the Ducati San Antonio dealership to favorable but I would have to add the caveat that you needed to have bought it there. They (understandably) don't want to hassle with rigs that may have been set up wrong.

A lot of people complain about this dealer's labor rates and yes $100 an hour is high, but if one does their own maintenance and only brings it in for warranty work, it should not be a problem.

I am Back in the saddle and I am happy!
Adventures and Misadventures bog: http://www.BeemerBob.com

2014 Gear Up (The Grey Goose)

Modifications:
founding member of the "Let it Be" support group.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Fri May 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Glad you are on the road.

Hard to say about the front brake. Urals are shipped with the front wheel removed and must be installed by the dealer. I'm thinking that's where it got messed up.

I still don't understand why you had to pay for the alignment ifn it wasn't aligned correctly in the first place.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by BeemerlessBob » Fri May 30, 2014 11:41 pm

Coluralado wrote: I still don't understand why you had to pay for the alignment ifn it wasn't aligned correctly in the first place.
Because it was not the same dealer that initially allingned it.

Modifications:

BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by BeemerlessBob » Fri May 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Coluralado wrote:Hard to say about the front brake. Urals are shipped with the front wheel removed and must be installed by the dealer. I'm thinking that's where it got messed up.
Prolly.

Modifications:

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sat May 31, 2014 2:29 am

Howdy Bob,

So get a bill from the dealer that corrected the alignment, send it to the dealer that you bought the rig from and DEMAND reimbursement for having to pay another dealer to have their shoddy initial setup redone.
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

The "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, and the "Kraken" a 2013/14 Gear-Up, have been sold and no longer in my stable.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by BeemerlessBob » Sat May 31, 2014 8:02 am

mr. cob wrote:Howdy Bob,

So get a bill from the dealer that corrected the alignment, send it to the dealer that you bought the rig from and DEMAND reimbursement for having to pay another dealer to have their shoddy initial setup redone.
Not worth the aggravation. Besides, they will say I could have just brought it back there and they would have made it right.

It's all good. The original dealer did not charge me dealer setup and I got what I paid for.

Modifications:

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 31, 2014 9:22 am

Great attitude Beemerless Bob!! Now go put some smiles and miles on your rig! :thumbsup:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

hwk2th
Comrade
Comrade

Post by hwk2th » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:21 am

Well I picked up my T from dream machines of austin last Friday.. Couldn't have gone any smoother.. I think nick the manager may have laid the law down as it was all good.

The bike was set up well and ran great
Other than a front tire blow out at speed (see ride reports) and pipping and popping when cold it's such a difference between my 98 that
it's hard to believe
Will have to wait for service and parts to see if the total package is present but the delivery was a great experience

sasha_j
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sasha_j » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:04 pm

hwk2th wrote: The bike was set up well and ran great
Other than a front tire blow out at speed (see ride reports)
I wonder if the factory put in a rim strip on your front wheel?
Sasha J

http://www.laura-n-sasha.com
2014 Ural Gear Up, Sage Green, expertly dialed in by UNIQUE RIDES in Fort Collins, Colorado
Full Time RV'er with late-model wife

canoewest
Party Member
Party Member

Post by canoewest » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Coluralado wrote:I feel we are somewhat spoiled having a quality dealer in our backyard.
+1
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by BeemerlessBob » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:54 pm

hwk2th wrote:Well I picked up my T from dream machines of austin last Friday.. Couldn't have gone any smoother.. I think nick the manager may have laid the law down as it was all good.

The bike was set up well and ran great
Other than a front tire blow out at speed (see ride reports) and pipping and popping when cold it's such a difference between my 98 that
it's hard to believe
Will have to wait for service and parts to see if the total package is present but the delivery was a great experience
I'm glad this worked out well for you. I'm sure the GM is keeping close tabs on things now to prevent the past shoddy work. Goes to show you the power of soviet steeds.

In time, they will gain more experience with Urals and may turn out to be a good dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modifications:

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:29 pm

All,
Reading everyone's posts you'd think all the Urals are sold out West so here's my two cents from the East! :D I bought a 2014 red/white Patrol from Jason at MotorSportsSuperStore in Hamilton, Alabama after going back and forth and wanting to buy the rig from Bumpus Harley-Davidson in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. I currently own one Harley, and have owned another at the same time I owned a 2007 Ural Gear Up that I bought new in February 2008 from Wagner's in Arkansas (no longer a dealer but great people). I was not new to either Harleys or Urals and figured the more Ural becomes mainstream the better for everyone. Problem was everything is more $$$ at a Harley dealer including Urals. I had just come off a long drawn out divorce and money was, and is, tight. I explained this to both dealerships. I was told there was one unclaimed red/white Patrol coming into the country that I could order if I put down a deposit. Deposit price at Harley: $2,0000.00 Deposit price at MotorSportsSuperStore: $500.00. Mind you the 2014s had not hit the dealer's showroom yet. The differences in dealer setup prices to get to the out the door price were similarly grossly different with MotorSportsSuperStore charging next to nothing in my book. The Harley dealer did finally lower the deposit price to $1,000.00 but was still very high on the setup prices. I placed an order in January 2014 with Jason and was told the rig would be in sometime in February. Several weeks later, I learned the final divorce was being appealed and that it could take several months before I'd know the results, one of which involved me paying significant funds to my ex - which would make it no longer possible for me to get the Ural. The rig arrived in early February much to my dismay and I called Jason at MotorSportsSuperStore explaining that I needed to wait till the results of the appeal - which could take months - and that I couldn't blame them if they went ahead and sold the bike. I ordered it, they got it, and I couldn't take delivery on time...done deal - or so I thought. Business is business. Jason told me then that he would hold the bike for as long as it took for me to learn the results of the appeal - even if he had a cash buyer in the store wanting it! I was floored. True to his word Jason, and the General Manager Scott, held that rig for me until the end of March - six weeks later. They made the entire process simple and easy and they delivered the rig to me over two hours away for $125.00 on March 31st. I've since had time to go over and meet the great people at MotorSportsSuperStore and highly recommend them. They sell the Japanese bikes and Ural is not their main line, but they've been building a customer base over several years and are very responsive to my requests. I have the usual (for Ural) 2014 issue: Speedometer needs to be replaced and Bill in Parts at MotorSportsSuperStore got me the replacement speedometer; sidecar brake lock up and final drive leaks. They've also gotten me the sidecar bumper and luggage rack no longer standard on Patrols but so useful. Someone said it best that dealers and owners alike are all learning with the 2014 models, and while I long for the simplicity of just carrying a socket in my riding clothes to adjust the drum brakes on my old Gear Up, I love the 2014 Patrol and my experiences with the crew at MotorSportsSuperstore in Hamilton, Alabama. If you're in Alabama, or West Georgia, give them a call.
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU