2014 Ural dealers - the good, bad and ugly

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by BeemerlessBob » Sat May 17, 2014 9:55 am

If any moderator feels this thread is inappropriate, then please feel free to remove or put in a different section. But this forum is a great resource to draw on for help and I felt it would be good to have some reviews of dealers so that we can share which dealers are a good place to go and which dealers should be avoided. I did not put this in the complaint section because we all need to know the good dealers out there as well.

With the release of the 2014 Ural, the Ural has become more of a mainstream bike and new dealers are expanding their lines to include Urals. I'm limiting this thread to 2014 models because is is a major change from previous models. Some dealers have embraced and understand the newer technology and some don't. Some dealers main line is Ural and are devoted while some just carry the Ural as a novelty. As it always has been, proper dealer setup is important but with the 2014 and initial dealer setup is, IMHO, even more important.

I will be posting my evaluation soon and I would like to see other dealer evaluations and recommendations. It is my hope that this does not become a nitpicking bash of vendors but rather a useful tool to guide fellow Ural enthusiasts.
Adventures and Misadventures bog: http://www.BeemerBob.com

2014 Gear Up (The Grey Goose)

Modifications:
founding member of the "Let it Be" support group.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: 2014 Ural dealers - the good, bad and ugly

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 17, 2014 10:10 am

I bought my rig at Unique Rides in Fort Collins, CO. Mine was the first 2014 they setup outright and they let me spend the day helping in setting it up. I got way more service and understanding than what I paid for!!!! The service after the sale has been outstanding as well.

To be honest, the "real" Ural dealers are learning about the 2014's right along side us owners as well. It is nice to have a dealer that will set things aside and take the time to help sort things out on these rigs.

A big :thumbsup:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by BeemerlessBob » Sat May 17, 2014 10:50 am

Dream Machine of Austin -Texas
http://www.dreammachinesofaustin.com

Technically this dealer is located in Round Rock, Texas but hey - the Dallas Cowboys aren't really in Dallas.

Dream machines is primarily a used motorcycle dealer of upper end road bikes. Mostly Harley's, Big Dog choppers with a few BMWs. I believe Ural is the only new brand they carry. They are new to the world of Urals and I think 2014 is the first line they carried but they may have carried some of last years models.

Sales staff is great, very helpful and customer service oriented. Even though they were not the closest dealer to me they made me a better price than any dealer I had found. $500 below MSRP with no charge for dealer setup or freight. No where else was I able to find this good of a deal. The salesperson told me the owner was motivated to get some Urals sold. I questioned if it was because they were getting out of Urals, but the salesperson said no.

No dealer setup fee: sounds good, but the old adage "you get what you pay for" may apply here.

I initially purchased a 2014 patrol made it about a mile before the sidecar brake starting dragging. Screeching noise and difficult to steer. I brought it back to the dealer, left it and went home. Next day I decided the shinny and chrome laden patrol was not my cup of tea anyway. I contacted the GM (also a great guy) and since the paperwork had not yet been submitted, he let me change it for a gear-up

So, I picked up the gear-up, all seemed great so I headed home (about 80 miles). Apparently when assembled they forgot to put the cotter pin that retains the castle nut on the sidecar wheel so that nut had worked itself loose, pushed off the cover hub and was at the edge about to fall off.

Concerned about how the nut would tighten on, mushy brakes and hard to shift - I loaded the GU on a trailer and towed it back to the dealer.

When I met their Ural mechanic and service manger, the concept of customer service was lost on them. Because their Ural mechanic has been to the Ural school, he knows all there is to know about Urals and never grasp the seriousness of not putting that cotter pin to keep the tub wheel from coming off. He challenged everything I said about the brakes and shifting and I was told that my expectations were not realistic.

I left the bike with them then contacted the general manager as well as IMWA. After speaking with them, I was assured they would get my issues resolved

After a few more days, I was informed all was good. I went to get my rig and rode it home. I was assured the sidecar nut was within specs, the clutch arm was bent so they straightened it out and the brakes are per specs and as good as it gets even though there is over an inch in play before braking starts and you have to squeeze all the way to the handlebar for full braking.

The hard shifting was fine for a few miles but then the clutch arm bent again

So I'm done with this dealer. I have made an appointment with the dealer here in San Antonio and will see if they can get my rig setup right.

So in summary, if you are looking for a good price - this is probably the best around, but I would load the bike on a trailer and take it to another dealer to have them go through it. Will they ever be a good Ural dealer? IMHO, not until they get a different mechanic.
Last edited by BeemerlessBob on Sat May 17, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Modifications:

BeemerlessBob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by BeemerlessBob » Sat May 17, 2014 10:57 am

Coluralado wrote:I bought my rig at Unique Rides in Fort Collins, CO. Mine was the first 2014 they setup outright and they let me spend the day helping in setting it up. I got way more service and understanding than what I paid for!!!! The service after the sale has been outstanding as well.

To be honest, the "real" Ural dealers are learning about the 2014's right along side us owners as well. It is nice to have a dealer that will set things aside and take the time to help sort things out on these rigs.

A big :thumbsup:
I told my wife about your recommendation and she said she wants to go to Colorado anyway and that I should just bring it there. It's still a little cool in the mountains for this Texas boy, but maybe I outa.

Modifications:

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sat May 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Howdy Bob,

Thanks for your review of this dealership, I am sure it will help others make a wise decision on where to buy and HOPEFULLY light a fire under the a$$ of this dealership to get their act together.
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

The "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, and the "Kraken" a 2013/14 Gear-Up, have been sold and no longer in my stable.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by URAL CT » Sat May 17, 2014 2:17 pm

IMO...a lot of new dealers are coming on board cuz of the gaining popularity of an Ural. In most cases, Ural is a filler brand & not their main bread & butter. They think it's a no brainer to put together because of it's simplicity. They often misunderstant that although the Ural is a simple machine, there are quirks that need attention. Prime examples are driveshaft phasing, donut to clutch/driveshat fork clearances, SC alignment, unsecured splitter, etc. Some cosmetic misalignment...possible, maybe due to transport, handling, etc. Dealers need to pay attention to these quirks & not take 'em for granted unlike the other brands they carry. Ural is the only purposely built combo available that I know of, so proper dealer prep is very important. Ural assembly quality control need lots of improvement too. Allowing customer to be involved during set-up I feel is a plus, of course there are or could be liability issues here. New Ural owners need to understand that they have to be "involved" when owning an Ural. Unfortunately it is not a gas, go, & put away wet MC.
Another shortfall, IMHO, is that most young motorcycle mechanics are schooled in the high tech MC environment. Rightfully so cuz majority of bike nowadays are high tech. Unfortunately, the new breed of MC mechanics lack the diagnostic skills without the use of diagnostic tools. But they are very keen in the use of high tech equipment & tools that most old shadetree mechanics are not equiped to deal with. I'm not saying all young mechanics are like this. Depends on their level of interest with the old & new bikes. Some young 'uns that I know do not have a clue how to work/adjust carbs. Ural are simple machines...yes, but should not be taken for granted. Choose your dealer wisely...but new dealers that are interested with the brand will come to grips with it sooner rather than later. And Ural warranty ROCKS! My thoughts..YMMV :P
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

Spat
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Spat » Sat May 17, 2014 2:25 pm

My 2 cents worth and opinion
Factory training only goes so far. Throw in real world experience and competence, this is were your dealers will shine,,, or not. If a dealer offers discounts to get the first rigs out the door that should have be a flag.
My 08 Partrol was one of the first assembled and delivered from Unique Rides but Randy's experience with trike conversions and other SC rigs he has turned out I felt confident he knew his stuff. And so it was, the blue bird of paradise did crap on my seat like an angel from heaven
Image (admired it, test rode it, went in to sign the papers and came out to this. Not a flipp'n tree in site.)
only a few minor issues not setup related, just gave me something to do to learn (again experience) on my rig.
+1 on R&T at Unique Ride FTC Colorado
Spat
FLHGSSXDR.Patrol
Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

Fall in love with a person who enjoys your madness
Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.
Red Green: Duct tape or zip tie,,, fixed is fixed

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
Irwin Corey

mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by mr. cob » Sat May 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Howdy All,

I think Charlie has hit the nail squarely on the head. I think that many of the large multi-brand dealerships who take on Ural's do so to draw folks into the showroom and will then sell them another type-brand of bike. The Ural draws attention, its NOT what they make money on and they simply don't put the time and effort needed to properly set the rigs up for the few folks who buy them.

So few Ural's are sold its nearly impossible for a dealership to make a living selling only Ural's thus they all except for a very small group have other machines to sell be it chainsaws or motorcycles to lawn mowers. The investment of time and money to have a true working inventory of parts, special tools and a mechanic who knows what they are doing is quite often more then the dealership is willing to take on, and it shows in the setup of the machines they sell to an unknowing public who then get all bent out of shape and wrongly blame the rig and its manufacturer when they should be pounding on the desk of the dealer who sold them an improperly setup machine.

This is something that has been a thorn in IMWA's side for a long time, we can only hope it will get better but until then "we" the Uralista's owe it to each other AND IMWA to bring to attention those dealers that are hurting us all.
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

The "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, and the "Kraken" a 2013/14 Gear-Up, have been sold and no longer in my stable.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

GHGoodwin
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by GHGoodwin » Sat May 17, 2014 4:17 pm

mr. cob wrote:Howdy All,

I think Charlie has hit the nail squarely on the head. I think that many of the large multi-brand dealerships who take on Ural's do so to draw folks into the showroom and will then sell them another type-brand of bike. The Ural draws attention, its NOT what they make money on and they simply don't put the time and effort needed to properly set the rigs up for the few folks who buy them.

So few Ural's are sold its nearly impossible for a dealership to make a living selling only Ural's thus they all except for a very small group have other machines to sell be it chainsaws or motorcycles to lawn mowers. The investment of time and money to have a true working inventory of parts, special tools and a mechanic who knows what they are doing is quite often more then the dealership is willing to take on, and it shows in the setup of the machines they sell to an unknowing public who then get all bent out of shape and wrongly blame the rig and its manufacturer when they should be pounding on the desk of the dealer who sold them an improperly setup machine.

This is something that has been a thorn in IMWA's side for a long time, we can only hope it will get better but until then "we" the Uralista's owe it to each other AND IMWA to bring to attention those dealers that are hurting us all.
++1. No comment on "dealer" nearest me.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sat May 17, 2014 5:15 pm

In the military you send out a road show ( experts) when new equipment is fielded and inspect the unit's proficiency shortly there after.

Poor initial dealer set up, as Mr. Cob stated, has been an on going problem. SS only confirms it. A bad initial impression will kill growth of a product. IMWA would have money well spent to travel to the dealers and watch a set up and correct as necessary. With the EFI, the sales, I believe, will be more constricted to new owners ( not pervious Ural owners) within a short radius of a dealer. That makes it even more imperative that the word of mouth advertising remains positive
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

redtails
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by redtails » Sat May 17, 2014 6:26 pm

There are dealers and then there is Ski Jablonski at "TriQuest Sidecar Motorcycles" in Santa Clara, CA. Urals are all he sells, and simply put, he is the best. When it came to setup, Ski knows Urals unlike most in the country and my 2014 Patrol setup was spot on. Service and warranty work are done right, and Ski makes sure you are happy with it before you drive off. Because if you're not happy with it, neither is Ski.

When the EFI v1.06 came out and I got the upgrade, he wasn't happy with how my bike ran, but told me to try it. I too was not pleased. He made a few adjustments, but it still was not right. So he walks out of his office with a memory stick that had V1.03 and downgraded me back. When V1.07 came out, I was unsure about upgrading, but SKi had a 2014 in his shop that he had upgraded and retuned according to IMWA's instructions. He said, "take it for a ride, if you like it, we'll upgrade yours the same way."

I'm lucky to have a dealer like Ski and we (Ural owners) are lucky to have IMWA.
- Jon
2014 Patrol Red/White "Uranus"

cpres
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by cpres » Sat May 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Ski at Triquest has exceeded my needs and expectations and he is not local to me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
2007 Ural Retro burning up the road at Ural speed.
Some of my family have asked if Urals come with social lives, I am thinking they do, we have met the nicest people with our Ural.

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 17, 2014 9:51 pm

I don't claim to know all the dealers out there, but there is a short list I would trust my rig to!

Ski at Triquest
Randy at Unique Rides
Heidnl Engineering
Holopaw Gene

I'm sure there might be two or three more, I just haven't met them or dealt with they yet. However, no matter what dealer I go to, as anal as I am, I want to be there to supervise, get in the way, and generally be a PIA! :lol:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Spat
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Spat » Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 am

There would be 2 reasons for me to live in Cali. The ocean, which I would not get into and TriQuest. Ski is just a fountain of information and a hoot to talk too.
Spat
FLHGSSXDR.Patrol
Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

Fall in love with a person who enjoys your madness
Red Green: If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.
Red Green: Duct tape or zip tie,,, fixed is fixed

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
Irwin Corey

bdlaue
Party Member
Party Member

Post by bdlaue » Sun May 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Bought my 2014 Patrol at Ducati San Antonio. Sales experience was fine, and I got the 1st 2014 they delivered. Set up only fair, dragging car brake and clutch not adjusted right. Returned 2 months later to have late arriving accessories installed. Was not impressed with the whole service set up. :(

If and when I need any real service, plan to try Sealy Cycle Service in Sealy, Tx. I had heard good reports on them. Sealy is only warranty and service as far as I know. :)
2014 Ural Patrol, red & white
2009 Honda Silverwing
2009 Honda Big Red
Riding since 12 y o, for 58 yrs now
Retired on a fixed income=poor