2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
Post Reply
User avatar
Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Huntsville, Al

2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by Kilometers2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Odometer quit working on my 2014 Patrol at 89kms I just picked up on March 31st but both the speedo and the trip meter work fine. I have 00139kms on the rig. I read the posts about running a ground wire from the cable entry into the speedo and will try that tomorrow after work but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and how they addressed it. Still riding but using the trip meter and don't want to have to spin up an odometer if I don't fix this soon. I'm not sure how 2 out of 3 work fine and the odometer just stopped. Any help would be appreciated. I had a 2007 Gear Up for 3 years but other than a bouncy speedometer didn't have this issue.
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:31 am
Location: NW Arkansas

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by thumper05flstsc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:00 am

My 2013 odometer stopped in the sixty's. It would go to 69 and then from 69 to 60. I just told the dealer I bought the rig from and he ordered a new one speedo for me. I kept track of my mileage with the trip and now add 1125 kms to my current indicated mileage for service purposes. My new speedo has been working fine (now showing 4300 kms) with one exception. When the ambient temp is below around 35 or so the speedo needle will go bullshit, swinging from 0 to 100 MPH and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. It's not as bad now as it was and settles down after a mile of so. Anything warmer and it works fine. Still haven't figured out why it does it but not a big enough deal to me to want another replacement and doesn't seem to affect the odometer or trip meters.
"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

User avatar
Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:14 pm
Location: Huntsville, Al

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by Kilometers2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:53 am

Thanks Thumper - I was afraid of that. I notified the dealer that I was going to take out the headlight and check the connections etc, but figured it would take a long time to get a speedometer but who knows that might be something IMWA keeps on hand. Guess I need to get that process started. I appreciate your input.
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

thumper05flstsc
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:31 am
Location: NW Arkansas

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by thumper05flstsc » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:04 am

It happened with mine when they were doing the Open House thing up in Redmond and the order fell through the cracks. Once my dealer called them to ask them WTF the holdup was it took only a couple days for the speedo to show up. They gave me the option of having them replace it or do it myself. I did it myself and gave them the old one when I was done. Easy swap.
"Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse" (SB)

User avatar
chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 5353
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:58 am
Location: sw ohio

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by chaos2 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:26 am

If the speedo needle is bouncing around in cold weather lubing the cable should take care of it. You're lucky, first time mine went bonkers the needle snapped off. Got a replacement but now the odometer is 14,000km off.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

cliffh
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Gustavus, Ohio

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by cliffh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:33 am

Unless Ural has completely changed the speedometer unit, adding a ground wire or checking electrical connections will NOT help your problem. There is nothing electrical about the unit except the lighting. The unit is strictly mechanical.

I'd just contact the dealer and get a new unit under warranty and swap the unit out.
Cliff
'98 Tourist (kick start only)
'97 Suzuki DR200
'99 Suzuki DR350
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Goldwing

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Posts: 3357
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by barnone » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 am

chaos2 wrote:If the speedo needle is bouncing around in cold weather lubing the cable should take care of it. You're lucky, first time mine went bonkers the needle snapped off. Got a replacement but now the odometer is 14,000km off.
chaos2,
Anything special about lubing the speedometer cable to reduce the bouncing on the needle?
Thanks

User avatar
Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 19684
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by Albuquralque » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:48 am

You need a new speedometer. Call your dealer.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"


Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

cliffh
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Gustavus, Ohio

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by cliffh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 am

barnone wrote:
chaos2 wrote:If the speedo needle is bouncing around in cold weather lubing the cable should take care of it. You're lucky, first time mine went bonkers the needle snapped off. Got a replacement but now the odometer is 14,000km off.
chaos2,
Anything special about lubing the speedometer cable to reduce the bouncing on the needle?
Thanks
Nope, just clean it off with a solvent to remove all the old hardened grease, then lube with some oil. Motor oil will work just fine, as will 3in1 oil, gun oil, or whatever light oil you want to use.
Cliff
'98 Tourist (kick start only)
'97 Suzuki DR200
'99 Suzuki DR350
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Goldwing

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Posts: 9668
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: 48*N, 122*W

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by rivers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:00 pm

barnone wrote: chaos2,
Anything special about lubing the speedometer cable to reduce the bouncing on the needle?
Thanks
Main thing is don't over lube it. It's not a control cable so don't just squirt oil into the housing. I prefer a "light" machine oil like 3 in 1. No motor oil and no grease.The powdered graphite speedo lube from the parts stores work good too. Remove the cable from the sheath and "clean thoroughly". I soak it in gasoline or naptha, or even WD40... whatever I have handy, blow dry with compressed air. Once the cable is clean work the lube into the cable with your fingers. Contrary to common belief the bouncy needle thing isn't the cable rubbing on the sheath unless you got some too tight bends in the sheath. The cable unlike a push/pull control cable is just a seriously tightly wound spring and rust, dirt, old hard lube gets between the coils of the spring and the coils that rub together as it gets tensioned the binding and freeing between the coils is whats causing the bounce so that's where the clean lube needs to go. Once lubed I wipe off any excess oil. You don't want oil getting flung off up into the speedo. Squirting or getting oil up into the speedo head is a most excellent way to kill a speedo.
Point being: over clean, don't over lube.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

cottonhead
Comrade
Comrade
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by cottonhead » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:07 pm

I don't use a speedometer I just turn the throttle and leave it there,after a while there's a hill down the road and you will start to slow down! HAHAHA!!!

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Posts: 3357
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by barnone » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:00 pm

rivers wrote:
barnone wrote: chaos2,
Anything special about lubing the speedometer cable to reduce the bouncing on the needle?
Thanks
Main thing is don't over lube it. It's not a control cable so don't just squirt oil into the housing. I prefer a "light" machine oil like 3 in 1. No motor oil and no grease.The powdered graphite speedo lube from the parts stores work good too. Remove the cable from the sheath and "clean thoroughly". I soak it in gasoline or naptha, or even WD40... whatever I have handy, blow dry with compressed air. Once the cable is clean work the lube into the cable with your fingers. Contrary to common belief the bouncy needle thing isn't the cable rubbing on the sheath unless you got some too tight bends in the sheath. The cable unlike a push/pull control cable is just a seriously tightly wound spring and rust, dirt, old hard lube gets between the coils of the spring and the coils that rub together as it gets tensioned the binding and freeing between the coils is whats causing the bounce so that's where the clean lube needs to go. Once lubed I wipe off any excess oil. You don't want oil getting flung off up into the speedo. Squirting or getting oil up into the speedo head is a most excellent way to kill a speedo.
Point being: over clean, don't over lube.
Mine has been bouncy at 55 MPH or so since new so the cable should not be dirty, maybe it is dry. I kinds got the impression that it was just another quirk of our Urals. I'll try the remove,clean, and oil. Thanks

cliffh
Comrade General
Comrade General
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Location: Gustavus, Ohio

Re: 2014 Patrol Odometer stopped at 89kms

Post by cliffh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:56 am

A "wiggling" needle is a built-in Ural trait :D

Wildly fluctuating back and forth is usually caused by a speedo cable that is grabbing and snatching.
Cliff
'98 Tourist (kick start only)
'97 Suzuki DR200
'99 Suzuki DR350
'90 Honda Pacific Coast
'93 Honda Goldwing

Post Reply