Oil leak brand new 2021

Woe unto you that bought the first model year of a major remake, perhaps this section can help address any 2014 and later model Ural "imperfections". Here's a special section for folks with the latest rigs to discuss 2014 and later model-related topics such fuel injection, 3-wheel disc brakes, hydraulic steering dampers, spin-on oil filters and other anomalies that don't belong on true Russsian motorcycle ;-P We've gone from using big hammers and greasy wrenches to needing computers and Ouija boards in order to fix our rigs.
Forum rules
Please keep this section specific to issues pertaining to 2014 and later models such as fuel injection, sidecar and rear disc brakes and so forth. Ask general or non-2014 and later specific questions in the main Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section.
aduthie
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2021

Re: Oil leak brand new 2021

Post by aduthie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:09 am

Tomcatfixer wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:13 am
No powder-coat under the final drive retaining nuts on the steel swingarm? Is there at least paint under there or how does the factory keep the swingarm from rusting?
There you go, thinking like the engineers… :wink: They thought of that, too, don’t worry: “rear swing arm is protected from paint in the contact areas between swingarm, final drive and mounting nuts. In order to protect these areas from corrosion, swing arm has ‘NANO PROTECH long term corrosion protection’ applied.”

I’ve yet to notice any rust back there, so I guess the stuff works.

“Protected from paint” would read “masked off during painting” in American English. And notably, I don’t believe they mask the FD case in the contact area. So the amount of squishy paint/coating was reduced, but not completely eliminated. Perhaps the key was eliminating the paint where the washers bear against the swingarm. I keep checking the Nord-lock ones anyway, but I’ve seen 950 miles on one with no loosening of the nuts.
Andrew Duthie / Nashville Motorcycle Repair / Nashville, TN

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:22 am

Have NyLoks on my 2010 FD which is currently my spare and the 2005 FD is in the bike with fine thread studs with lock washers.
Never had a problem with either of them loosening.
I only just this month replaced the 10 year old NyLoks on the 2010 FD.
16yo Russian fine thread nuts with new lock washers on the 2005, which is on the bike.

Tiger650

Post by Tiger650 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:17 pm

Great info gents, data ex Ural on exactly when Nord Locks began to be fitted is impressive.
Brings to mind a story I once read re BSA when they abandoned Whitworth etc and transitioned to SAE, the change was applied without detailed records as they ran out of fasteners, as the story goes a few bikes had UNC on one side of the engine and Whit on the other LOL.
Apparently drove Spare Parts blokes crazy.
BTW Andrew it is a small world, I am in Australia, a while back I mentioned to my old mate Tom Sharp that I was to buy a Ural, he spoke favourably of a Nashville dealer who also does good Brit bike work.
Tom and I share ruined knees amongst other things, I reckon you should talk him into a test ride.
Cheers Richard.

aduthie

Post by aduthie » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:28 pm

Tiger650 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:17 pm
BTW Andrew it is a small world, I am in Australia, a while back I mentioned to my old mate Tom Sharp that I was to buy a Ural, he spoke favourably of a Nashville dealer who also does good Brit bike work.
Tom and I share ruined knees amongst other things, I reckon you should talk him into a test ride.
Man, Tom really gets around! I've tried to talk him into a sidecar rig, believe me. :D

TVER

Post by TVER » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:37 pm

I have a 2012 Gear Up, and currently have the same problem; I have taken it to the dealer twice, and they have changed the gasket twice, but it still leaks in the same place you are describing; on the bottom of the drain plug. I will check the tightness of everything. The dealer charged me several hundred dollars for this service. I was also considering a new ural, but it seems this problem still exists. I really like the bike, but there are many mechanical problems with these bikes, and am not sure if I want to purchase a new model.
2012 URAL GEAR UP
1999 HD 883
1968 CHEROKEE 140

aduthie

Post by aduthie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:19 pm

TVER wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:37 pm
I have a 2012 Gear Up, and currently have the same problem; I have taken it to the dealer twice, and they have changed the gasket twice, but it still leaks in the same place you are describing; on the bottom of the drain plug. I will check the tightness of everything. The dealer charged me several hundred dollars for this service. I was also considering a new ural, but it seems this problem still exists. I really like the bike, but there are many mechanical problems with these bikes, and am not sure if I want to purchase a new model.
How fast does it drip? We had one come in where the final drive had a crack in it, which was enough that it would leak out most of the oil overnight. (So a significant puddle, not just a few drops per day.) That one got a new final drive under warranty, but replacing the cover (the right half of the case) would also have fixed it. The crack was difficult to see, but it wasn't invisible by any means. But I did miss it on the first quick inspection, since I'd thought maybe it just needed a new drain plug washer.

The introduction of the Nord-lock washers in mid-2020 resolved what I understood to be the main leak problem. (Which was with black final drives where the owner hadn't been coached to check the tightness of the four mounting nuts regularly for the first 3,000 miles or so.)

The new ones have fewer problems every year -- it's taken time, but Ural really does re-engineer every trouble spot to reduce warranty claims and improve the quality.

treebone

Post by treebone » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:33 pm

"I have taken it to the dealer twice, and they have changed the gasket twice, but it still leaks in the same place you are describing; on the bottom of the drain plug."

Do you mean they changed the crush washer on the drain plug? If not, what gasket did they change? If it was done twice and still leaked, I would look somewhere else for the source.
Recently someone posted pictures of an over-tightened drain plug that cracked the case, but it was not easy to see.
Leaks from higher up may drip from the drain plug since that is the lowest point. The front input seal developed leaks on two older rigs I had.
Get a mirror and a flashlight and have a good look from underneath.
If you change the gear oil yourself, the slightest amount more than minimum required will find a way out, especially if you run high speed on a warm day.
Measure carefully and remember that more is NOT good.
2021 OD Ct, disguised as a Gearup
Sold in 20 minutes flat... -2015 Gearup Sportsman Adventure Camp Wandawega Edition 13,500 K
Gone but not forgotten- -2009 Patrol, Sold at 26000 klicks

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Couple of things.

One, gaskets now come in two thicknesses. I opened my FD and used, what Heindl sent me, and later told me was a thin gasket, regardless, I now have a very small leak. Maybe add another gasket, it won’t impact the pinion gear/drive gear and may fill the apparent (maybe) slight gap between the FD halves. I plan on opening my FD and adding another.

Another thing to check are the bolts helping hold the FD halves together. May sure they are tight
3CFE02E2-B96A-40E1-A098-525DEF3C45EA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

aduthie

Post by aduthie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:27 pm

Lokiboy wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:51 pm
One, gaskets now come in two thicknesses. I opened my FD and used, what Heindl sent me, and later told me was a thin gasket, regardless, I now have a very small leak. Maybe add another gasket, it won’t impact the pinion gear/drive gear and may fill the apparent (maybe) slight gap between the FD halves. I plan on opening my FD and adding another.
I wouldn't ever double up gaskets thinking it's going to fix a leak. A thin layer of sealant will be far more effective, if indeed the problem is with the gasket not sealing the cases. But more importantly, the final drive case gasket very much affects the pinion to ring gear interface. A thicker gasket pushes the pinion away from the ring gear.

Here's the IMZ announcement from when they made the change:

"IMZ would like to inform you that since 14.12.2020, VIN X8JMH037XMU231238 (613 container, Australia), final drive has gaskets of new design IMZ-8.1037-05107-15 (with thickness 0,3mm) and/or IMZ-8.1037-05107-14 9with thickness 0,5mm) instead of gasket IMZ-8.1037-05107-11 (with thickness 0,3mm).

"Thickness and type of gaskets is defined by gap in final drive gear and pinion set."

Regarding your old gasket's thickness, it was assuredly the 0.3 mm gasket, since the 0.5 mm didn't exist until late 2020 and your bike is a 2011. For late 2020+ final drives, I can only assume that the way to tell which gasket you need is to measure the old one first. Not my favorite answer to the question, but it's not like the installed shim thickness are printed on the FD case or logged in a manufacturing data system, either.

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:58 pm

Thanks Andrew, good info. I figured my old gasket was the thicker one since I’ve never had a leak before.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

Happytrails
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Happytrails » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:36 am

Thanks this thread helped. Almost from first days had a little oil leak in this same spot but never knew what was going on. Not too long ago had a puddle of oil. Checked underneath and some of the bolts had worked there way loose. The nylocs were doing there job but the studs had backed out. :roll:
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:35 am

dont forget to check that you did not overfill the final drive oil! If overfilled the oil tends to go out where it is able to. there is (at least on the drum final drives) a drainage tunnel hole from around the spline downwards. If there is a spill seeping through the shaft seal, then it can be mistaken like a leak from somewhere else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Peter Pan on Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

HassoBoxhead
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by HassoBoxhead » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:45 am

Making sure the final drive mounting bolts are tight and torqued is a must.
2014 Asphalt Grey Gear Up «Миша»
2022 Slate Grey Gear Up
Retired Air Force Russian Linguist
“Too Close for Missiles, Switching to Guns”

Happytrails
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Happytrails » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:18 pm

Thanks will try to do all those things. Maybe my mistake was I didn't know to check those bolts so often but now I'll try to make part of routine. :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"