Thanksgiving Day (Day 3)

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
OleanderSalad
Comrade
Comrade

Thanksgiving Day (Day 3)

Post by OleanderSalad » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:49 pm

Took advantage of that weird AM part of the day before the TG gratitude and gluttony ceremonies to set up a rig for Phyllis the wonder poodle. Basically, just a vest/harness with a D ring on the back. I clipped her leather leash to the luggage rack, then ran it over the car, through the D ring, and cinched it down to the hold-on bar leaving just enough slack for her to get in the floorboard if she wants. I had it taught at first, but that turned it into a little doggie zip line.

It was pretty cool out and after about half I mile she was giving off some heavy fear vibes so I headed back for la casa. She had the same reaction to the car at first, so I'm thinking it's just a matter of acclimation.

After I got her calmed down and appeased with a couple puparonies, I headed out for another quick ride on a local road named Blue Hill Pass. It's just a one lane paved road that winds it way through a tree lined path up a hill dotted with upscale hillbilly houses---max speed posted at 15mph. There are a few places that combine steep grade with hairpin turns. These were a super challenge to wallow up on my old Honda Valkyrie (yes I did), but the Ural seemed made for it! I only had forty pounds of 'confidence' in the car, but it stayed planted the whole time. I guess it takes a bit more speed to fly the car. Only 'off-roading" was when I met a local hauling butt down the hill and had to find a nice even spot next to the pavement.

I rode the brakes a little on the reverse trip down just because I haven't reached the break in point yet and I don't want to do much engine braking. That's tough because I have a lot of motorcycle experience and it's just second nature to want to use engine braking. Kind of like feeling my left leg try to go down on it's own at a stop sign. :)

Writing this Friday Morning while nothing to do because it's a little damp for me to ride; yeah, I'm sugar and I might melt.

On the other hand, the Ural says it LOVES the rain. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 Grey Metallic Gear Up, "Lexi" (CV-16)

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Thanksgiving Day (Day 3)

Post by Tin Man » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Sounds like time well spent....Phyllis should get used to the ride once she becomes celebrity of the day at every stop light you come to...... this is Pi, who informed me in very short order that the rig was actually hers, and my job was to take her places where strangers could say things like "ooooo" and "awwwe", ain't she cute?..... and take her picture. :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........