Portland to Anchoage AK Vis Air Museums

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Portland to Anchoage AK Vis Air Museums

Post by RC20 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 pm

I picked up the new cT in Portland and fortunately (if you have ever navigated Portland you know what I mean) I had an easy route to get to my first stop in McMinnville at the Evergreen (Spruce Goose ) museum.

93 to 95 degrees and rough but I wore my leather pants and quilted leather jacket, good work boots and gloves. In Ak that is just right, phew not down there.

I spent a day of recovery and getting stuff setup better than what I had done at the dealer as well as getting the title off to AK to get my plates (going into Canda and not keen on dealing with temp registration there)

The Museum is well worth it, the Spruce Goose dominates the place like it should and its a truly stunning bird all by itself.

Then the treat of a lot of other aircraft on display, first time I ever saw an F-105 in person, couple of Migs, various Navy jets and a See Bee (back when I was a kid a guy owned one and took my dad fishing for Red Snapper). It was well worth the $24, you can walkin sinde the Spruce Goose and see the build inside, sized to hold two Sherman tanks (64 tons?)

Del Smith (Evergreen Airlines) was a weird duck and not vry nice (he ran on an Ag License allowing some interesting stuff with employees) but he saved one of the all time wonders of the aircraft world.

I was going to go over to Tillimuck Naval Air Museum but it was just to danged hot melting this poor AK boy into a puddle.

So it was down country road to Salem, pass through safely and then up into the Mountains and camped about 15 miles East of a small berg called Detroit. Blessedly cool that night (McMinnville Inn was great, A/C got the room down to 60 and
it was clean, firm bed, plenty of room.

I went onto Sisters, best burger ever had at a place on Mina St called the Post.

Next up was the Erickson Museum in Madras Oregon. Different than Evergreen, they restore aircraft and you can walk up and touch any you want. Gorgeous work, spend hundreds of photos there. Its a real go to high spot that is obscure. Mostly WWII but some others as well. They are restoring a B-17 now, cool to see. Dead nuts gorgeous B-25 and Corsair
and a P-38 in what I think is natural WWII color of flatter paint.

From there it was a run to a camping spot on a reservoir which was ok but also hot till the Sun went down.

Hard running to Hood River, great breakfast but ran into fathers day. On up through Yakima, Ellensberg on great road and close to Leavenworth Washington.

Good run into Everett and then on up to Bellingham. Freeway was best vs as it squeezes down tight in the Seatle - Bham corridor.

So now getting service done (overdue but they did not get done in Portland before I left). Oil use was zero, looked virtually brand new despit the heat and some serious hill climbs in hot temps in the 85-95 range

Next on up into Canada to Prince Geo rye and then over to Prince Rupert. Ferry to Haines and then the Alcan onto Anchorage.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Marine Corps Codu

Re: Portland to Anchoage AK Vis Air Museums

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:42 pm

I hope you got the service done in Ferndale. I haven't been to that dealer, but will follow your recommendation if you think it is good.
I hope we can meet up before you cross the border. I have a couple things I have been "volunteered" to do by She Who Must Be Obeyed, but hope they don't interfere with a meet up.
Nice ride report. Look forward to the continuation of it!
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:16 pm

I did use Ferndale.

Only complaint was they decided to check the intake valves per the schedule, I was not worried just wnated and asked for the the oils done. Still think it should be 1500 miles not 300.

that said, they did not make sure they had gaskets on hand. Kind of a rookie mechanic mistake, new gaskets and you never take it apart unless you have the part to go back together. Done this kind of work for a lot of years.

Phone calls were not getting it so i went over today and talked in person. Whatever the warranty part was in and on but the gaskets not and had gotten forgotten. Ok, lets find out where they are? I know htey have dozens of things and I only have one so my fours is very narrow.

So he called, had them put in an envelope and expressed- hopefully here tomorrow and I have it back by afternoon.

I am here till the 28th so I think we can link up just fine.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:16 am

Perfect! Hope you get the gaskets tomorrow and all turns out well.
Thanks for keeping me in the loop!
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:43 am

Why or how were gaskets damaged? Rocker cover gaskets I assume.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Yes, valve covers, they took them off to do the lash check (I only asked for oil change - I was going to do that myself when I got home)

Something about glued on and tore, make sure you have them in hand before you take apart is always good way to approach.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:07 pm

Gaskets - - - - just like highway flares, bear spray, mosquito repellent and insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That has been my rule of life for as long as I can remember. (Maybe that's why I have so many duplicates of most everything!!)
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:15 am

RC20 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:29 pm
Yes, valve covers, they took them off to do the lash check (I only asked for oil change - I was going to do that myself when I got home)

Something about glued on and tore, make sure you have them in hand before you take apart is always good way to approach.
OK, I learned my lesson do not put gaskets on with gasket cement or other kind of glue, however if yours are the silicone (rubbery) ones need gluing on ONE FACE ONLY to stop them oozing out sideways and springing a leak. I'm still on the factory original "paper" type, me and the dealer are trying to keep them going as long as possible. I've got Russian spares but not sure about the quality.
Mike H

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:18 am

Addendum: just remembered 2019 rocker covers are different so not sure what you got TBH. I was talking about 2014 - 18 version.
Mike H

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 pm

The materiel they used is standard gasket material for the replacements.

They said something about factory glued on both sides. That is simply wrong but maybe ensures no leaks to star with but if you have to check at 300 miles? hmmm - If they knew/know that then you have the right ones in hand before you open up.

The outer head is not right, I will pull it off when I get into Anchorage and see. Its not leaking so will leave as is. Sure does not look right (the tub side looks what I would expect) full even exposure all the way around.

The outboard head the material dissapears on top in the middle. No good explanation as its normal the rest of the way around. Almost looks malformed but enough to seal. odd - certainly stuff I can deal with.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 am

RC20 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 pm
The materiel they used is standard gasket material for the replacements.

They said something about factory glued on both sides. That is simply wrong but maybe ensures no leaks to star with but if you have to check at 300 miles? hmmm - If they knew/know that then you have the right ones in hand before you open up.

The outer head is not right, I will pull it off when I get into Anchorage and see. Its not leaking so will leave as is. Sure does not look right (the tub side looks what I would expect) full even exposure all the way around.

The outboard head the material dissapears on top in the middle. No good explanation as its normal the rest of the way around. Almost looks malformed but enough to seal. odd - certainly stuff I can deal with.
I sent you a PM tonight
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:22 pm

Still catching my breath, made it. Generaly I did well, the Ural did well.

Worst part was the AK border into Tok (Toke not Toc) and the highway was awful. Bust, breaks holes and just plain nasty. Listed as 65 mph, nuts

Also about 40 miles out of Tok to Glannallen it was like the road had smallpox. Open pothole things but you could see the old asphalt under it. Someone did a suck a$$ job and they had one crew out patching. Palm size to basketball size common.

Equally bizarre was the interior (Haines Junction, Beaver Creek, Tok to Gulakana) was cloudy and rain at times (got poured on camping out of Beaver Creek). Anchorage was pushing 80 degrees, unheard of, interior should be hotter and dryer. Beaver Creek to Tok was cold (left my rain bibs on after clear of the rain as my Leather Jacket zipper was failing and I needed a bit more wind help).

Canada did have some bad spots but it was luxury compared to those sections in AK.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm

The trip up from Haines was wonderful. Fist 40 miles is along a river and bleah by my standards (Arizona might disagree!)

then its a serious climb up a gorgeous pass, I had forgot how spectacular it was up through there. One of the all time wonderful stretches. Road was good.

That is the longest jump without fuel station, 148 miles. I got in the high 38 mpg.

Haines Junction is a nice little town, campsite just out of it towards Whitehorse if needed.

I chogied on to and then past Klauane lake as I got a late start of 1:30 pm off the ferry, wanted to do it in two days.

Road generally good and nice run, not as spectacular but mountainous, nice and Kluane lake is quite a pond - going around the end of Kluane close to Haines Junction is wild as the wind alwyas blows up a valley. cT had no issue though it was severely dusty of 4 miles.

Road also generally decent, though it got more raggedy close to Beaver creek I got.

I found the fist less than good part of the Ural, the shocks are way to hard, bad road you take a pounding on. More 70s tech per my 750s. Long term ponder if anything to be done about it and the cost.

I gassed up both at Destruction Bay and Bearer Creek then made it all the way into Tok.

I camped outside of Beaver creek as it was hitting 10 pm and I had had it. Good daylight still. Ok camp spot, there are two outside of Beaver creek and none between Destruction Bay (not a good place with wind blowin) and Beaver crrek 40 miles out and then 20. Could use one half way.

I like campgrounds with view or lakes but this was just in the trees. No real tent spots.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm

After I got to sleep, rain started pounding on the test, Damn. Out with the rain cover, got it deployed, back to sleep till 6 (despite hard ground I sletp good nad much better than home, I assume I am suffering from PTWS (Post Traumatic Work Syndrome)

Danged if a cycle did not fire up just after I woke up, dawn is early (and I was hungry) so I got my gear loaded up and lit out. I put the Helley Hanson Rain Bibs as I was not sure how dry the main road was going to be (and it was a bit cool, good windbreak)

Road was dry (my gore-tex shoes work for rain boots). Still pretty cloudy and cool so off I went.

5 miles down the road I am looking at the wind screen and its, that water should have blown off! Hmm, my goves are wet. Erth, heavy mist, pulled off, got on the great Carheart Rain Jacket (plenty large and double snap seal, rubber gloves and a snap off hood) and away we go.

At that point I realized the down side of the fairing Plexiglas being too high and no air on the front of the helmet shield. Looking through two piece of places in the rain is not good, could not get the helmet up high enough for air stream to blow the face shield clear . Ok, just slow speed which on the Alcan is fine, not much traffic. I will start trimming down the fairing an inch at a time until I get what I want. Not unhappy, done that with other fairings, just learning.

Rain cleared up after 5 miles, pulled over and swapped off the rain coat and rubber gloves for the leather ones and off again. Beaver Creek for fuel and onto the Border where I planned to eat.

Sigh, at Border all business have cratered - should have eaten in Beaver creek - Ok, will see how it goes. 10 miles in and it was, ergh, road is beat up all to hell, just plan awful. Breaks, bumps, holes. Posted 65, maybe a Paris to Dakar rig. Not me. I think at that point I I should have set up the spring rate.

Got out of the rain again after 5 miles or so and off came the ran coat and rubber gloves. That is a great combo though for rain or cool. I am beginning to ponder things, the interior is AlWAYS hotter than down where Anchorage way (South Central vs Inteiro) (Mountain ranges to get through, two actually). So what is going gon? Is my wife lying to me? NWS as well because they were saying it was hot in Anchorage to (at that point 350 miles from home). Never seen the like.

Had stoped where a couple of ladies who were cycle riders (in a pickup) wanted to talk about the Ural. Kind of cool spot overlooking the Valley, still cool. Kept the bibs on.

I didn't see any place that looked good to eat if there was any, so I worked my way onto Tok (Toke, not Toc). I picked up a Granite Rock as that is traditional when we or I are going through there (they crushed it and its the road bed, real unusual and cool looking stuff, we lived up in that area when I was 7)

Finally hit the flats out of Tok and nirvana as the road was smooth. Hits a known past good restaurant , about noon and I was desperate hungry. Talked to some guys about cycles when I got out.

Gassed up and headed out, first 50 miles to Glennallen were wonderful, straight and smooth and mountains and hills to ogle at. Listed at 55 mph. Really? And that crap back the border way is 65? Nuts.

Then the road went to hell again, this time it was an old overlay that they did wrong - looked like small pox on the road. Patches breaking out like pothole but you could see the old asphalt clean as could be (and intact!) at the bottom o the holes. Obviously they did not mill down the old road just paved over, no glue used, fug it. Some you could dodge, some you dodged and wound up in a worse mine field. None of it was Ural happy.

One Highway crew out trying to patch the holes, pathetic. State has gone to hell. Stupid governor and legislature.

The one construction area actually was nice as we went slow and it was in better shape than the pavement was. Flaggers are good about waving cycles up front if they can see them.

40 miles out of Glennallen road was good again and made good time, got a Malt, gassed up, bibs off as it was now really hot and onto Anchorage.

Its quite a spectacular run from Glennallen to Anchorage . First 50 miles is rolling hill stuff and road is good. Mountains in the distance. then you get into the Mat river valley, some good sections and some real old twisty sections they have not straightened out yet. Some are a bit hair raising with 600 foot drop and no guard rails. Great views of close in mountainous and glaciers.

I hit one area of high head winds and never got past 3rd gear. In and out of bright sun and into shadows. Just slow and easy. You break out about 20 miles from a town called Palmer and that is about 35 miles from Anchorage. Nice cruise in the rest of the way though I had to fuel up about 20 miles out of Anchorage (pretty sure I would have made it but it was late and not worth the hassle to have to fuel up from the can)

I pulled in about 8 Pm, so had a good 12 hours on the road. Butt was sore, though I was stopping about every 60 miles for 5 minutes. Walking worked out, moving around on the seat just hurt more. Not sure the bench seat is not better as you can move around.

So, back, into 85 degree heat for a week. Hit 90 one day. Up here that is pure killer heat. More direct rays. Pretty well sunk me and sat in front of fans.

That finally passed and making short trips and figuring out whats up next. A few checks and adjustment on the Ural (rear brake and parking break).

Great trip and overall I was happy with myself and not having any serious physical issue and the Ural ran wonderfully.

Weather is more back to normal for us in the mid 60s, phew, can't take the heat.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

mi7d1

Post by mi7d1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:43 pm

Greetings from Portland, Oregon. I enjoyed reading 'bout your trip home.

Cheers,
Bill