Moab 2018 Report

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
User avatar
ReCycled
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 2345
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:10 am
Location: Broomall, PA

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by ReCycled » Thu May 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Just one last photo that sums it up for me....Another great Ural adventure!

Moab 2018 152.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

User avatar
mr. cob
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 7303
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 pm
Location: Granite Falls, WA, 98223, USA
Contact:

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by mr. cob » Thu May 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Howdy David,

Thanks your addition to the ride report, this quote from your writing says it all, "We were rewarded with wonderful vistas and scenery not found at home."

Dave
Mr. Cob

Driver of the "Predator" a highly modified 2005 Gear-Up.

Driver of the "Canyon Acrobat" a 2008 Gear-Up, this rig is now driven primarily by "Mrs. Cob"

Driver of the "Kraken", 2014 Asphalt Gray Gear-Up that will be used to prove out and test parts for the new generation of Fueli rigs.

My Photo galleries, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

Join "Smugmug", click this link and save some money, https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=geyYbNZwLLrl6

User avatar
canoewest
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by canoewest » Thu May 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Lokiboy wrote:Incredible pictures and a nice detailed report. I would really love to do that ride with you. My two favorite shots are the one of the Milkyway (don’t get to see it back east) and the amazing shot from above, looking down on the three Urals at different levels of the switch backs. Again, great job.
Thank you! Yeah, the shot with the three Urals was what I was hoping for but without a way to communicate with other riders all I could do was hope. I was psyched I was able to get the shot.
Last edited by canoewest on Fri May 04, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

User avatar
canoewest
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by canoewest » Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 pm

ReCycled wrote:Just one last photo that sums it up for me....Another great Ural adventure!

Moab 2018 152.JPG
Dave, thanks for adding your perspective and back story. I was with you guys all week and don’t remember discussing your knee issues and how it motivated you - great story. Thanks for adding pics too. I know you guys told me about your ride over Loveland pass but the snow in the photo says it all. I know it’s a long drive and costs a pretty penny in fuel but I hope to see you both out here again next year!

Tim
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

User avatar
tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:41 pm
Location: Southside of The Grapevine, 91384

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by tgtrotter » Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 am

David,
Great addition to the reporting of Moab 2018. I'm sure it is inspiring many. I like that camo red Ural pic :lol:
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

User avatar
Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Posts: 19684
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:46 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by Albuquralque » Fri May 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Tim,

You're famous! You made the Ural blog, nice work~!!!!


https://www.imz-ural.com/blog/moab-ural-expedition
"Put a little gravel in your travel"


Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

User avatar
DanKearney
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 2037
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:19 am
Location: Black Hawk, Colorado
Contact:

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by DanKearney » Fri May 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Good write-up Tim and many beautiful photos.

Cheers,

Dan K.

User avatar
BinDerSmokDat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019
Posts: 3602
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 2:35 pm
Location: South Jersey NJTP exit 6

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Fri May 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks Tim, the photos are AMAZING!
canoewest wrote: Dave and I pulled over to wait for everyone. I must admit part of me expected to see Rich holding his rig from rolling backwards at the ledges waiting for us to arrive....
You don't know how close you were to seeing that sight. :lol:
This was one of the two times I used 2WD (for a grand total of 40 ft) all week.

I had made it about a bike length short of the top, when I lost forward momentum and the sidecar wheel was against a ledge.
I jumped off and grabbed a big handful of front brake and stopped the bike from rolling back down.
Popping the clutch in 1WD only made the bike try to go around the sidecar...definitely didn't want to get sideways on this trail.
I was able to hold the brake with my left hand and use my right to reach down and put it in 2WD.
Popped the clutch, got over the ledge and put it back in 1WD. Maybe about 2 bike lengths in 2WD.

The other was out near Behind the Rocks.
I had crested the hill and saw a ledge that was pretty gnarly but too late to stop so I went for it.
I made it over but it was obvious that this trail continued to more extreme 4WD/Jeep wheeling.
I didn't have momentum on my side so I put it in 2WD to cross back over the now off-camber ledge.
That was maybe 20 feet in 2WD there.

So the lessons here are...

1) Ride with Tim if you want good pictures.
2) You don't need 2WD to ride Moab, but it sure is nice to have.

User avatar
tgtrotter
Commissar
Commissar
Posts: 762
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:41 pm
Location: Southside of The Grapevine, 91384

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by tgtrotter » Sat May 05, 2018 3:20 am

I am curious as to that piece of cut up tire zip tied and strapped to Richs' rear rack What is it and/or for ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 Woodland Green Patrol :foilhead:
2004 FLTRI :machinegun:
1992 Trek 830 :P

User avatar
canoewest
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by canoewest » Mon May 07, 2018 12:00 am

Rich has his rope puller cinched up in the piece of tire. From what I could tell, it was a very secure way to carry an otherwise awkward piece of equipment.

Image
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

User avatar
canoewest
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by canoewest » Mon May 07, 2018 12:02 am

Albuquralque wrote:Tim,

You're famous! You made the Ural blog, nice work~!!!!


https://www.imz-ural.com/blog/moab-ural-expedition
Thanks Darrell! Famous amongst a very small subset of riders and lovers of clunky sidecars :cheers:
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

User avatar
canoewest
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by canoewest » Mon May 07, 2018 12:05 am

BinDerSmokDat wrote:Thanks Tim, the photos are AMAZING!
canoewest wrote: Dave and I pulled over to wait for everyone. I must admit part of me expected to see Rich holding his rig from rolling backwards at the ledges waiting for us to arrive....
You don't know how close you were to seeing that sight. :lol:
This was one of the two times I used 2WD (for a grand total of 40 ft) all week.

I had made it about a bike length short of the top, when I lost forward momentum and the sidecar wheel was against a ledge.
I jumped off and grabbed a big handful of front brake and stopped the bike from rolling back down.
Popping the clutch in 1WD only made the bike try to go around the sidecar...definitely didn't want to get sideways on this trail.
I was able to hold the brake with my left hand and use my right to reach down and put it in 2WD.
Popped the clutch, got over the ledge and put it back in 1WD. Maybe about 2 bike lengths in 2WD.

The other was out near Behind the Rocks.
I had crested the hill and saw a ledge that was pretty gnarly but too late to stop so I went for it.
I made it over but it was obvious that this trail continued to more extreme 4WD/Jeep wheeling.
I didn't have momentum on my side so I put it in 2WD to cross back over the now off-camber ledge.
That was maybe 20 feet in 2WD there.

So the lessons here are...

1) Ride with Tim if you want good pictures.
2) You don't need 2WD to ride Moab, but it sure is nice to have.
Thanks Rich! It was great to meet you and Dave and ride with some East coasters way out here in the west where the dirt runs red. Looking forward to the next time :cheers:
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

User avatar
canoewest
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by canoewest » Mon May 07, 2018 12:06 am

DanKearney wrote:Good write-up Tim and many beautiful photos.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Much appreciated Dan! I'm glad you were able to make it out for a at least a couple days.
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

User avatar
canoewest
Party Member
Party Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Longmont, CO

Re: Moab 2018 Report

Post by canoewest » Mon May 07, 2018 12:08 am

A quick note to those who were riding with us. If you see some photos of yourself that you want copies of, send me a PM and I'll send download links to you.

Tim
Tim
2011 Patrol - Now with more farkles, more dirt, and more time on the clock.

Post Reply