Page 4 of 5

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:04 am
by Ironhorse Sa
I have an IPone 5s in a Lifeproof case on my rig and vibration have not affected it yet.
Sorry for chipping in.

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:59 am
by roadchick
Ironhorse Sa wrote:I have an IPone 5s in a Lifeproof case on my rig and vibration have not affected it yet.
Sorry for chipping in.
Great!! Thanks, I'll check that out. :clap: :clap:

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 am
by MikeBike
I-man wrote:I was really hoping to make it Mike, but all of this snow has put me behind at work. I'm going to have to pass on this weekend, but soon I hope.
Just lmk when you wanna ride. :!:

roadchick wrote:Mike,
Beautiful pics of some awesome riding spots! Hoping to get my Ural in the next couple months. What gps/phone holder are you using. How is the vibration?
Thanks RC. Be sure to post pics of your new ride.
The gps cradle is made by Ram mount doesn't vibrate at all, it's always ways to read.


The phone cradle is made by Slip Grip, accepts a Ram mount ball, and doesn't vibe either.
My S5 has a otter box defender case, the cradle is made for this setup.
Image

The trusty Ram mount.
Image

I think the cradle is made from Kydex, a thermoplastic thats used for sheaths and holsters.

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:45 pm
by roadchick
MikeBike wrote:
I-man wrote:I was really hoping to make it Mike, but all of this snow has put me behind at work. I'm going to have to pass on this weekend, but soon I hope.
Just lmk when you wanna ride. :!:

roadchick wrote:Mike,
Beautiful pics of some awesome riding spots! Hoping to get my Ural in the next couple months. What gps/phone holder are you using. How is the vibration?
Thanks RC. Be sure to post pics of your new ride.
The gps cradle is made by Ram mount doesn't vibrate at all, it's always ways to read.


The phone cradle is made by Slip Grip, accepts a Ram mount ball, and doesn't vibe either.
My S5 has a otter box defender case, the cradle is made for this setup.
Image

The trusty Ram mount.
Image

I think the cradle is made from Kydex, a thermoplastic thats used for sheaths and holsters.
Thanks Mike! I thought it might be a ram mount...I'll look into that! :D

Scout/Camp

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:31 pm
by MikeBike
My buddy from ADVRider tent space came back down from Maryland to join me for a campsite scouting ride last weekend. Bacon Palace,aka Matt, rides a DRZ but I still let him tag along. :lol:
We did a total of 320 miles, probably 70% sand,dirt and gravel.
The weather was perfect and getting better by the 1st break on Prosperity Church rd in Montgomery county NC.
Image

We were scouting for good backwoods campsites to use on a route that I'm calling "Shrimp Ride". A 2 day dual sport route from Uwharrie National Forest to Pawleys Island SC. About 600 miles and 4 days of backroads.
Image

I never get tired of seeing the old farmhouses.
Image

Image

Image

We've had a very wet winter so County Line Rd, which has never been graveled, was a blast.
Carolina red clay.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
HF307s have been ordered.

More pics to come,a bunch more...

Sandhill Wildlife Refuge section

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:57 pm
by MikeBike
We hit some tighter, leafier and a lot less muddy roadbed thru part of the Sandhill Wildlife Refuge near Hoffman N.C.
Image

Image

The next break was in the Wildlife Refuge, next to Broadacres Lake. Smoked chicken salad made by my wife the night before was exactly what these boys needed. :boogie:

Image

Image

Image

Image

More to come

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:28 am
by MikeBike
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:18 am
by reduc
Looks like a beautiful place to ride and camp, as long as it's still winter time and relatively cool. Bet it's pretty muggy in summer. Beautiful German Shepherds.

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:03 am
by barnone
MikeBike,
Nice photos from your ride.
chouse-XL.jpg
I like seeing the old farm houses too. Always wonder why they were abandoned. What is the function of the cement block structure in the front yard?
escrew-XL.jpg
And what was the screw used for?
HopperHomesteadbeforebyGeorge.jpg
The old farm house at our place in WNC that had been abandoned.
0806131742-00.jpg
After we saved and rebuilt it several years ago.

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 am
by roadchick
Hi Mike...revisitied your beautiful photos and was wondering what case you have on the spare tire? Is that a pelican? Sorry if you mentioned it before :) My gear up is supposed to arrive next week. Can't wait to get some practice in and do some camping this summer!!!

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:26 am
by MikeBike
reduc wrote:Looks like a beautiful place to ride and camp, as long as it's still winter time and relatively cool. Bet it's pretty muggy in summer. Beautiful German Shepherds.
Hey reduc, it does have some nice spots to get in some winter camping and riding, but you're exactly right about the mugginess in the Summer. The bugs are monumental too. That's when I head to the hills. :D
Pete and Tikka are my best buds for sure,Thanks.


barnone wrote:MikeBike,
Nice photos from your ride.
Thanks, I've a ton more to post as soon as I get time to. :cheers:
Sadly the old houses are left to the elements because it's easier to make a trailer payment than update the old plumbing and electrical systems. Not to mention that we all want central heat/ac nowadays. :cry:
The lil block structure was a well house.
I've yet to find any info on the Screwpin, it's in the middle of nowhere. Even the locals dunno.
Very impressive restoration y'all did, I'm jealous!


roadchick wrote:Hi Mike...revisitied your beautiful photos and was wondering what case you have on the spare tire? Is that a pelican? Sorry if you mentioned it before :) My gear up is supposed to arrive next week. Can't wait to get some practice in and do some camping this summer!!!
Thanks RC! It's a Pelican 1600, it works great but wouldn't mind finding something a lil more pleasing to the eye.
You sound like you won't be getting much sleep next week while waiting on the GU. :D I'm looking forward to seeing your camping and riding pics. :cheers:


MORE PICS TO COME!

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:42 am
by roadchick
Thanks Mike!! Would only be using it for camping trips...yes, I'm pretty excited!! Gonna be a long week!

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:38 am
by MikeBike
2016 resolution; Be more active on Soviet Steeds!

Here's a couple of pics from a couple of weeks ago.
My buddy Matt from Maryland came thru the Carolinas again on his annual winter ride, we headed to Pageland SC for some sand riding.
Matt camped at the same lil pond that I did last January. The spot looked as though no one had set foot there all year, perfect.
I've got a small amount of video from the campsite to edit/post.
Image

Image

I'm really looking forward to getting lots of aerial Ural pics and vids this year. Now to find some locals that want to ride... :!:

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:47 pm
by WEGUNTER
Mike. Was wondering what became of you. Stacked with work these days but will be looking forward to a ride coming up. Al, Rougaroo, and 4 Paws are nearby as well. Glad you are back on the net. Remember CRAP happens in May.

Bill in Pinehurst

Re: Ridin' around, hop in

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:51 pm
by misplacedyank
great pictures and report, I'm jealous of the area you get to ride in, here in the desert, very few trees but warmer weather.