UDF Saved my Butt!

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Smithfield, Maine, now further into (Americas Siberia)

UDF Saved my Butt!

Post by Darkblood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Well today has been one of those days where I should have stayed in bed. It started with a quick 15 minute welding job that has now turned into 5 hours with a Mig welder that is acting up, I tried fixing a floor fan and in the process found out it was a seized bearing that for some unknown reason the Asian manufacturer assembled it in place on the shaft so there is no way to replace it.
So with that aggravation in mind I said the hell with it I need to pick up a new tip for the welder so I'll just shoot off to Aubuchon and grab some on the bike. Well I generally do a thorough check pre ride but today I was a bit grumpy and just wanted to quickly ride to Aubuchon and back so I kicked it to start did a quick light check while waiting for her to warm up and then I was off.
5 miles later I was in the parking lot and then in the store for the parts. While checking out I see UDF hovering over the bike and in my mind I say to myself not now I'm in a hurry, but with a smile I walk out and greet him and start the usual 20 questions. Well he asks me and I quote..."Can I ask you a strange question?" Sure go ahead. "Why isn't there a bolt in that hole?" Well he was pointing to my rear axle and I figured it was the same question I've heard a hundred times so I'm all ready to explain that that is how you take the axle out when I look down and see....
:brickwall:
Oh crap I had taken the rear wheel off the other day to adjust the brakes and apparently never tightened it back up. Well with a stone dead face I said..."Apparently because I'm a frigging Idiot and never tightened it up the other day when I worked on the brakes....good thing this bike has enough redundant systems that it will hold together with out some of the parts..." He said "Wow my old HD would have fallen apart on the first turn if I'd done that." I handed him a card to VT Cycles shook his hand and thanked him for pointing that out and immediately walked back into the store for a new bolt and Nylock nut. She now has a new shiny accessory.
So the moral of the story is NEVER BLOW OFF UDF it could save your butt some day!
:oops:
2010 Gear Up. named феникс (phoenix)

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory
Location: The lower southern tier of central upstate NY ,Binghamton,NY

Re: UDF Saved my Butt!

Post by cdscoot » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:34 pm

:lol: :lol: Good story! I know most people have a lot of things to think about, but when I finish a job on any bike I take a minuite to sit down and and kind of review the job in my head - verifying that I have done all of the critical stuff. After all it is my butt on the line when I ride! This combats the memory thing as I get older! :lol:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by URAL CT » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:05 pm

cdscoot wrote:but when I finish a job on any bike I take a minuite to sit down and and
That's my problem cuz then I ask myself why am I sitting down??? :P
Hell getting old... :old: :old:
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

RickH
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by RickH » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:07 pm

The first time I checked Vasily, after reading that I should check the tightness of all connecitons, I found the pinch bolt nut ready to fall off.
CTR2 US Navy 1968-1972
2011 Gear Up - "Vasili"

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Great story and very humbling. One problem though...I don't think your rig is gonna like that brand spanking new shiney bolt! Might spit that one out too!!! :lol:
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Thermos » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Wow! Talk about fortunate. Glad to see nothing bad happened.
-Tom
When you come to the fork in the road, take it!
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

2011 Orange/Silver Patrol
2017 CRF1000 Africa Twin
1977 R100S
http://tomtomandjoesorangeanviltour.blogspot.com/

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... it=Thermos
former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

sputnik
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sputnik » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:14 pm

It's that front pinchbolt that'll kill ya....

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 pm

UDF saved me once too! Not as drastic as your episode, but a guy was looking at my rig and asked me why there was a big hole in the final drive? :? That's when I found out my stripped out FD dipstick had finally taken a leave of absence. :o

...but I was able to just ride it home and whittle down a piece of broomstick to replace it :oops:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

URAL CT
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by URAL CT » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 pm

niteblues59 wrote:UDF saved me once too! Not as drastic as your episode, but a guy was looking at my rig and asked me why there was a big hole in the final drive? :? That's when I found out my stripped out FD dipstick had finally taken a leave of absence. :o

...but I was able to just ride it home and whittle down a piece of broomstick to replace it :oops:
Now the FD itself took a leave of absence and followed that "dipstick"! :P
Did you get FD back together yet, Scott?
Cheers,
Charlie T
CT
2007 Patrol
Plano, TX

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by a1930ford » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:47 pm

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are our resume in Heaven."
"Cheapest, most efficient and longest distance wifi in the world is prayer."

2005 Troyka "The Dog Taxi" - Wichita Falls, TX.

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:04 pm

URAL CT wrote:
niteblues59 wrote:UDF saved me once too! Not as drastic as your episode, but a guy was looking at my rig and asked me why there was a big hole in the final drive? :? That's when I found out my stripped out FD dipstick had finally taken a leave of absence. :o

Cheers,
Charlie T
Umm...no. It's still in Washington :oops:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by cdscoot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:16 pm

URAL CT wrote:
cdscoot wrote:but when I finish a job on any bike I take a minuite to sit down and and
That's my problem cuz then I ask myself why am I sitting down??? :P
Hell getting old... :old: :old:
:lol: :lol: Yea especially when you are sitting down AND have a wrench in your hand ! :lol: :lol:
Craig
Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. Every morning is the dawn of a new error .
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

cdscoot
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by cdscoot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:18 pm

niteblues59 wrote:
URAL CT wrote:

Cheers,
Charlie T
Umm...no. It's still in Washington :oops:
Well if it's DC you'll NEVER see it!
Craig
2010 Patrol T
2016 BMW R1200GS

eeyore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eeyore » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:48 pm

darkblood
sounds like an eeyore trick, I'm always having to double check my work. So easy to forget to tighten stuff.
2015 softail deluxe w/motorvation spyder “fattie”
2010 gear-up nato camo "Pasha" (gone but not forgotten)
2007 sportster 883 "blue beast"

sergeantbrown
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sergeantbrown » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:46 pm

Rumor has it a spark plug will fit that final drive hole. I had heard of someone who screwed a plug in then ran an old sparkplug wire from the plug up under the seat. When asked, he said it was for the afterburner! :lol:

Sarge :foilhead:
2004 Ural Retro Rig, "Boris Badenov"
1973 VW Thing "Das Kubel"
http://www.sidecarsarge.webs.com