sidecar asylum meet/ride report

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Babushka
Comrade
Comrade

Re: sidecar asylum meet/ride report

Post by Babushka » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 am

eeyore wrote:My wife said she liked the rally but would have really enjoyed going on a ride. I agree with her (not because I have to), we liked the rally alot but we will have to have a ne Ohio ge-together/ride someday.
I agree that a NE Ohio ride would be nice! Fall rides can be spectacular!
Kathy
1998 Deco Classic

Babushka
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Babushka » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:08 am

IMG_1641.JPG
starglyderz wrote:Thank you Babuska & Anklodge! I knew that in 98 about 40 Tourist models were painted up in Washington state, I did not know there were any other than black. Mine is Black and Yellow, a pale yellow, but when I got it the paint was an YOUGLY Russian Army Green. After 3 gallons of acetone, the original colors are visible, and all I have left to restore it is connect all the wires pulled off of everything, put in a battery, and fill the fluids to crank it over.

Maybe one day I can find my way up there to compare yours with mine. I would love to see photos of your engines and body work.

Rik Nebeker
You are welcome, Starglyderz. As Sarge stated, our bikes aren't repainted Tourists. They're both Decos. The main difference between my bike and Anklodge's is the engine. She has the original 650 and mine was replaced with a 750. Not sure what pics you would like of the engine, but I'm sending one of my favorites that Anklodge took of our bikes on the Nat'l Rally Day. I haven't posted a picture before, so we'll see if I have it figured out! If it doesn't make it, Sgt. Brown put some nice ones in from the field events at the Asylum rally. Happy riding!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kathy
1998 Deco Classic

Babushka
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Babushka » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks Sarge for some good pics!
Kathy
1998 Deco Classic

eeyore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eeyore » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:37 pm

Sarge,
nice pics My gear-up (and my monkey) look nice!!!! The gear-up needs some mud!!!

Babushka, no need for apologies, and yes fall is a nice time for a ride. If memory serves me correctly the first couple of weeks in oct is when our colors come into their full.
2015 softail deluxe w/motorvation spyder “fattie”
2010 gear-up nato camo "Pasha" (gone but not forgotten)
2007 sportster 883 "blue beast"

sergeantbrown
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sergeantbrown » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Nothing says you guys can't put together a group ride yet this fall.

Sarge
2004 Ural Retro Rig, "Boris Badenov"
1973 VW Thing "Das Kubel"
http://www.sidecarsarge.webs.com

eeyore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eeyore » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 pm

sergeantbrown wrote:Nothing says you guys can't put together a group ride yet this fall.

Sarge
yeper, we could.

sergeantbrown
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by sergeantbrown » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Now I have a photo. the Grand Poobah himself, Fly.

Most people have patch jackets. Al has patch coveralls! :cheers:

Sarge :foilhead:
2004 Ural Retro Rig, "Boris Badenov"
1973 VW Thing "Das Kubel"
http://www.sidecarsarge.webs.com

starglyderz
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by starglyderz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:15 am

sergeantbrown wrote:Rik,

Baburska's and Andrea's bikes are NOT repainted Tourists. You will note that the Deco has "normal" front forks rather than leading link forks. They can be ridden as a solo where the Tourist cannot. :moto:
Sincerely,
"Stuffed with spaghetti" Sarge :foilhead:

Sarge, Thank you very much for your comments. The PO told me my Ural is a Tourist. In checking with Gene down at the Possum Works in Holopaw, I got the information as you have given, Tourist models can not be ridden as solos because of the leading link, Earls front forks. Gene said my rig is a Deco Classic also, with certain differences, probably due to workers conditions in the factory that day, and the Deco Classic badge/shield got lost off the sidecar long ago.

My Ural has telescopic front forks, 18" rims/tires, but unlike Baburska's and Andrea's I have turn signals only on the LEFT side of the bike. Also the chrome rack on the back of the sofa seat has no mount for the RIGHT turn signal.

I can remove the side car frame; Warren and I did that when we started to assemble the engine and install it in the frame, but up to now the engine has not been running. I also have kick and electric start on my 650 cc engine, with a chrome air cleaner which is vented both top and bottom. The PO included some K&N air filters which I thought just look all wrong on such a classic bike, and get in the way of my short legs.

Hopefully by Halloween all will be completely connected and in running order. I will post pix when that happens.
Rik Nebeker

1998.5 Deco Classic
Lyubochka
1972 Honda CB 350E

Rollie
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Rollie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 am

If you guys do want to get a ride together this fall, I'd like to go if I'm not working. I'd really like to meet some Ohio Uralists. And Rex is usually up for a ride, or maybe my wife would even go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2010 Ural T

eeyore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by eeyore » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Rollie wrote:If you guys do want to get a ride together this fall, I'd like to go if I'm not working. I'd really like to meet some Ohio Uralists. And Rex is usually up for a ride, or maybe my wife would even go.
we should hook up, looks like a fall ride might be in order.
nice rig, always like the black w/pin strip.

Babushka
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Babushka » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 am

Our October weekends are pretty full up, but we were thinking that after the Oct. 9 (Sunday) Moto Guzzi breakfast in Kent, we would be up for an outing to somewhere. Fall colors should be nice. Kind of far from Zanesville for an afternoon ride, Rollie, so don't know how well that would work for you, but I thought I'd throw it out anyway. If anyone is interested or has other thoughts, it would be nice to conncect for a fall ride!
Kathy
1998 Deco Classic

Wolfy01
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Wolfy01 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 am

Kathy
What is your defenition of a Babushka? I am Polish and have aheard a couple different meanings
2005 Patrol

Babushka
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Babushka » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:31 pm

Wolfy01 wrote:Kathy
What is your defenition of a Babushka? I am Polish and have aheard a couple different meanings
Well I have heard a couple different meanings, as well. Beloved grandmother is the one I like. Old Hag is the one I don't like! Oh, and I am Hungarian, and I think Nagymama is Hungarian for grandmother, and I don't like that one either. I have two wonderful granddaughters who seem to like me a lot, so Babushka it is! Now I am wondering if maybe I should know of any other meanings that might be very unflattering or embarrassing. Help me out, Wolfy01!
Kathy
1998 Deco Classic

starglyderz
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by starglyderz » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:36 pm

From the Russian/Ukrainian my ex wife taught me: Babushka, depending on first syllable or 2nd syllable stress, means either Grandmother or Head Scarf. Baba Yagar means Mean Old Witch. If you hear that one, fight back!
Rik Nebeker

1998.5 Deco Classic
Lyubochka
1972 Honda CB 350E

Wolfy01
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Wolfy01 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:10 pm

That is exactly what I was taught by my Grandmother
2005 Patrol