Uraling to Alaska n Bac

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Norms 427
Comrade General
Comrade General

Uraling to Alaska n Bac

Post by Norms 427 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:10 am

And I'M OFF!! Since I bought Olga this past January I've kept her on a short lease on errands and day excursions only. Now let's see how she does on a long haul trip to the northland and back home.
IMG_3960.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Norms 427 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SOLD my 2011 Ural Patrol Orange w 22,000 km. RR to Alaska: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... lit=alaska \\ '09 kawasaki KLR 650 Red \\ '85 Yamaha VMAX Maroon bought new \\ '05 Harley Heritage Softail Turquoise wife's ride \\ '14 HD Road King

I wasn't ready to say good-bye: http://www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Image Avg MPG since Aug, 2011 after my return from Alaska, GPS corrected, stock carb jetting (122/40) + 2 shims.

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Uraling to Alaska n Back

Post by a1930ford » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:49 pm

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are our resume in Heaven."
"Cheapest, most efficient and longest distance wifi in the world is prayer."

2005 Troyka "The Dog Taxi" - Wichita Falls, TX.

Ruidoso Ron
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Ruidoso Ron » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:13 pm

You going solo on the rig? Did you consider removing the hack windshield to reduce drag? Have a great trip!
Driving down the highway of life with my left turn signal on.
Ron Massey
'11 Ural GU Gobi
'08 KLR 650
'71 Triumph T120RV
'71 Honda SL125
'80 Honda CM400T

sputnik
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sputnik » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:13 pm

+1 on removing the windshield. throws wind and water all over ya. and don't help with mileage

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Norms 427 wrote:And I'm off. Let's see how Olga does on a long trip to the northland and back home.
[img]http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/download/file.php?id=26930&t=1[/img]
Oh man...I hope you latched your trunk lid before you got too far... :o

All kidding aside, Bon Voyage to you, God Speed and may the wind always be at your back, the sun shining brightly and the sky forever blue. :cheers:

...and +1 on posting pics of your ride! :wink:
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by berger » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm

Definitely take that hack screen off, much better ride without it when you are solo. Just a word of caution, with the weight on the trunk lid, and based on the year of your bike, keep on eye on the trunk lid strapping bolts vibrating loose. I have seen it happen and a load almost lost. If you loctited them, then you are all good.
Have a great trip!
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

Sailing Rider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Sailing Rider » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Have a great trip and I hope the bugs arent to bad. Wave as your going by

berger wrote:Just a word of caution, with the weight on the trunk lid, and based on the year of your bike, keep on eye on the trunk lid strapping bolts vibrating loose. I have seen it happen and a load almost lost. If you loctited them, then you are all good.
They should be nylocks
Kerry

2010 Gear Up

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Поехали!

Thermos
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Thermos » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:22 am

Have a great trip Norm! Post plenty of pics! Good to see more orange on the road.
-Tom
When you come to the fork in the road, take it!
Yogi Berra

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

2011 Orange/Silver Patrol
1977 R100S
http://tomtomandjoesorangeanviltour.blogspot.com/

http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopi ... it=Thermos
former bikes-
2001 HD Sportster
1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Norms 427
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Norms 427 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Re your comments:

* bugs don't get really bad until July and August from what I hear
* my beautiful wife is flying Alaskan Airlines into Anchorage later this month and we'll spend 2 weeks doing touristy things so I'll need the sidecar windscreen, otherwise I would take it off

I entered BC on Hwy 97 at Oroville, WA. I camped on the US side just a stone's throw from the foreign country. :) It was warm and there were only a couple of timid mosquitos so I just slept on the picnic table instead of pitching the tent. I'm lazy.
IMG_3966.JPG
IMG_3974.JPG
I've never been cross examined so much at a border crossing as I did today. Whew! "And how much money are you carrying?" "And how do you plan to support yourself while you are in Canada?" I'm not kidding, those were just a couple of the many questions.

It'd be a lot easier if British Columbia joined the USA as the 51st sate and we wouldn't have to answer all those interrogating Qs. Don't you think they'd rather be Americans than Canuckians? :) BTW, I've got to stop somewhere and get a Canadian-English dictionary. :o

Well, I didn't take any pics on Day #2 as there was not really too much to brag about + I was in a LOT of traffic driving north on 97 to Kelowna. My brother told me that 50% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border. I believe it. There was a surprising amount of traffic, congestion, town after town, endless stoplights and very slow going in places.

At the end of Day #2 I'm moteling it in Kamloops and tomorrow I'm headed up Hwy 5, which is called the Yellowhead Highway, and comes into Prince George from the east. It will take me 2 days to get to Prince George ~ longer if Olga breaks down. Tomorrow the traffic should start thinning and Canada should start showing how beautiful she really is.

I'm going to post a few pics here and there but this won't be a full blown RR.

BTW, Olga seems to be doing fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Norms 427 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOLD my 2011 Ural Patrol Orange w 22,000 km. RR to Alaska: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... lit=alaska \\ '09 kawasaki KLR 650 Red \\ '85 Yamaha VMAX Maroon bought new \\ '05 Harley Heritage Softail Turquoise wife's ride \\ '14 HD Road King

Image Avg MPG since Aug, 2011 after my return from Alaska, GPS corrected, stock carb jetting (122/40) + 2 shims.

Sailing Rider
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Sailing Rider » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks for the offer, but no we dont want to become the 51st state. If you think our questions were bad, wait until you head back across the line and they start putting on the rubber gloves :lol:
Kerry

2010 Gear Up

Niteblues
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Niteblues » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Sailing Rider wrote:Thanks for the offer, but no we dont want to become the 51st state. If you think our questions were bad, wait until you head back across the line and they start putting on the rubber gloves :lol:
I think he's gonna get that treatment in a few more miles...then again when he comes home!
Scott

2004 Ural Patrol

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"

"Media bias contributes to erosion of the perception of truth." Tanya Marcum

Norms 427
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Norms 427 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Sailing Rider wrote:Thanks for the offer, but no we dont want to become the 51st state. If you think our questions were bad, wait until you head back across the line and they start putting on the rubber gloves :lol:
LOL. I know, it's just Life After 9/11. I long for the good ole days when they'd just ask a simple Q or 2 and welcome you to their wonderful country. I love BC.

berger
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by berger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:56 pm

DOH! I didn't see what year you had...nylocks all around. If you will need the windscreen later on, I always folded mine down, still bolted to the hack, and did the tonneau up over it. The added benefit to this is a rigid surface under the tonneau. Any rain will just roll off the sides.
Berger

2007 Ural Patrol (1st Owner)
Many, Many Mods.

pidgey
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by pidgey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:54 am

That's good planning taking two extra fresh tires. As someone who has Uralled the Alcan and Dempster highways, you'll be glad you brought 'em. Have a great trip. :clap:
2005 BMW K1200S with Hannigan SuperSport chair
2007 Suzuki Boulevard S83
2010 Patrol (the lemon) SOLD