The big trip

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: The big trip

Post by Peter Pan » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:11 pm

Yvonne and Fran, best regards from your former home state for 3 decades...
Sacramento California. Screwing as usual.
"It comes first different then you second think."
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement.
Back swing broken: 50.460km.

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:51 am

After 2 years of waiting (it is a long story and not all the fault of the Portuguese), Pferdi is now a Portuguese citizen. We got 16 hours notice before we had to show up: phone call at16.45 for a test at 9.00 am the next day. It's a safety test, lights, vin, tires and general condition. When I checked Pferdi we had a few problems with the rear and the brake lights. Straight into panic mode as my electrical skills fade rapidly after changing bulbs and fuses. I forced myself to stop and asked myself what would Claus tell me to do. It turned out to be a combination of stuck switches, bad connections, blown bulbs and a bad rear light earth. I got finished at midnight and with all the adrenaline in the system it was 3am before I fell asleep.

I had carefully charged up the battery pack overnight, but when I went to fire up on the day nothing happened except a clicking of the starting relay. After a few prayers and telling God that I would never do anything wrong again if Pferdi fired up, the miracle happened. Now all we needed was gas. There is a station 8k up the road and I left it running as I filled up. Next stop I thought, the test site, except I stalled it at the pump. Yvonne looked at me with a "You mental midget, if we miss this test your will die a slow, painful and humiliating death, and like Prometheus, you will relive it every single day". If that isn't motivation, then I don't know what is. More prayers, it's amazing, there are no atheists in situations like this. We got there in plenty of time which gave me a chance to drive in circles around the parking lot for 30 mins to charge the battery. All the other testees were scratching their heads at this, but it paid off. You know we passed so I'll skip the test. Getting ready to leave before the DMV engineers changed their minds, good old Pferd. fired up first touch of the starter. We went home with the silliest grins on our faces. And we were back in love. Thanks Claus!!!

We had forgotten just how much we like traveling with Pferdi, even if it's only down the road to the supermarket. The looks, smiles and waves brought back so many memories it made the wait worthwhile. Now we can finally think about finishing off S. America. :boogie:

Manscout
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Manscout » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:06 am

Congrats! That really has taken a while! Pferdi is getting up there in age. I've found that gently rubbing the tank and talking nicely also can elicit the desired effect from these rigs.
It goes nowhere fast, and everywhere cool

2015 Gear-Up
2011 Ural Patrol: 2014-2020
Gillette, Wy

Claus
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Claus » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:38 pm

Manscout wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:06 am
I've found that gently rubbing the tank and talking nicely also can elicit the desired effect from these rigs.
Yes. Gently rubbing the saddle and talking nicely does it as well :mrgreen: :lol: in my 30 years of experience
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model
How the hell can a person go to work in the morning, come home in the evening and have nothing to say?

upstate ny
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by upstate ny » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:28 pm

Outstanding, the saga continues.

I would tell you to keep the shinny side up, but with Pferdi I don't know if that applies. So you and Yvonne just do your best.

(Seriously, good job chasing down your light gremlins, they can be a big pain.)
2021 cT, Countess Markievicz.
Previously 2012 Tourist, Molly Malone, traded in with 59,000 kms
2004 FJR1300 2004 BMW RT1150

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:45 am

Hi all, here is the latest from Y's blog
https://fyoconnor.wixsite.com/nofixedab ... ay-goodbye
I have to say it is a lot of fun to be back on Pferdi again. We don't get as much attention here as in S.A. but it still brings smiles to faces and photo requests. Best of all, as I sure many of you have found out you can park anywhere and not get a ticket. Next week some basic maintenance is required, fluids etc. and then the horizon is the limit. Hope all of you are doing well and getting ready for the winter riding season. Not much chance of driving in snow here, but some day.
Presently we are doing some planning for a return to S.A. and completing the trip. 5 out the 6 items on our must see list are south of where we had to stop. There's our incentive. We think we will buy a R.E. Himalayan and sell when we leave. If any one has any other suggestions for a bike I would appreciate them. Here is the criteria, reasonably inexpensive, easy access to parts and dealerships, easy to pick up and fairly tough with simple mechanics.
Drive safe and have fun.

Lokiboy
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Lokiboy » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:07 am

Fran,
“Itchyboots” Norely on FB had traveled on several different bikes and has good insights

https://www.itchyboots.com/
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
135,000 km and counting

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:42 am

Hi all, first of all a happy Christmas to you all. Here is a link to Yvonne's latest blog,
https://fyoconnor.wixsite.com/nofixedabode/recent-posts

As we have done all the paperwork for us and Pferdi to live in Portugal, we are planning to hit the road again. The idea is to fly to Bogota and buy a bike there. The Enfield Himalayan is the choice at the moment. I contacted all the Enfield dealers in Bogota and got no replies, fortunately for us we meet a really nice guy when we were there on Pferdi and he has agreed to help us. The aim is to arrive there in late Feb early March and start heading slowly south again. We have no real plan at the moment but that worked before so nothing new there. We would have loved to bring Pferdi but that is not practical. He is getting a little old now and with no dealers in S. America we don't want to risk it. We will miss the attention he always got there.

I will continue to post here even though it will be 2 wheels not 3.
Again have a great holiday. We hope you get to spend it with all your loved ones and '24 exceeds your hopes.
Fran and Yvonne

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:50 am

We are heading back to S.A. to see all the bits we missed due to Covid. We have just bought a RE Himalayan in Bogota and will arrive there on 2/29. We will be in Charlotte NC from 2/17 as we have some things to take care of in the states. We have a few days free and we hope to take a short road trip. has anyone any BBQ recommendations with in 400m of Charlotte? It will be nice to have a dealer support network with the new bike and a 2 year warranty. I hope you all survived the winter and are getting ready for the riding season.

Claus
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Claus » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:03 pm

Fran and Yvonne,

great that you are able to continue your journey after all!
Martina and I wish you an accident-free and eventful tour.

Gute Reise!!!
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model
How the hell can a person go to work in the morning, come home in the evening and have nothing to say?

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:51 pm

Hi all. Well we have hit the road again and are in Bogota Columbia. We are the proud owners of a Royal Enfield Himalayan which we bought here. We spent a few days in N. Carolina with family and then got here about 2.5 weeks ago. It has taken a few days to get all the details tied up and now we just need to find tyre levers. Not as simple as it sounds. Bike shops here sell just bikes and maybe jackets and helmets, so we have to find an accessory shop which is not so easy in our area. So far the Himalayan is working out well except for the seat which is like a rock. We are having that redone with gel etc. Thank goodness for our friend Guillermo who has helped us every step of the way. We did a quick trial run to town a 140k away it took almost 4 hours. Bogota traffic is horrendous and the amount of motorcycles is amazing. The bikes remind me of me of my driving skills a 17 but worse and the cars, trucks and busses are almost as bad. Some of the bus drivers try to split lanes, the private busses their drivers get a cut of the fares so speed is of the essence. We even saw a bike being driven by a man with his right leg amputated at the knee. Hair raising stuff but we will get used to again I suppose. We leave on Saturday for a town called Nieva and that will be the real start of the trip. Hope you are all stay safe out there and are getting in some seat time.

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:39 am

Here is the story so far from a better writer than mehttps://fyoconnor.wixsite.com/nofixedab ... vi-prelude

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm

Hi all. We have reached Cuenca Ecuador and have to stop for a few days. The little bike is doing really well and we are very pleased with it so far. We had the seat redone in Bogota but that didn’t work out so well. The guys work looked great but (no pun intended) unfortunately it was just as uncomfortable in a different way. It was fine for the first hour and then it was downhill from there. Even stopping every 2 hours didn’t help. A seat redo is the number one priority. This time we will do some test runs before we leave town as we can’t go on like this. Apart from the seat the bike is a pleasure to drive and has a very torquey motor. Even 2 up and all the gear it will pull the mountains quite well, as well if not a little better than Pferdi
We have had to do some off pavement roads a first for me in 50 years of motorcycling and it is very forgiving. So far I have only dropped it once fortunately Yvonne was not on the back at the time. I would have no problem recommending it to anyone looking for a fun little adv bike. As one review I saw said you can go anywhere a big adv bike goes just a little slower and a lot cheaper. We do miss Pferdi’s carrying capacity. Life now is reduced to 90 litres and 2 small water proof bags. After 6 weeks I am finally getting the packing right and knowing where things are. Hopefully we will get all our stuff done here reasonably soon and get back on the road again.
Hope you are all getting ready for the riding season and having 3 wheel fun and many UDF’s to talk about over beer.
Here is a link to Yvonne's latest blog with pics.
https://fyoconnor.wixsite.com/nofixedab ... hard-place

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Mon May 20, 2024 2:17 pm

Here is the latest from Yvonne.

https://fyoconnor.wixsite.com/nofixedab ... ter-rising

We are presently in Arequipa in Southern Peru. It is at 2330 meters so we are spending a few days adjusting to the altitude. Tommorrow we head to Colca Canyon for 2 days. It is twice as deep as the Grand Canyon and is considerabily higher than here. It is beautiful and a great place to see Condors.
After that Lake Titicaca. Hoefully we will not have any altitude problems. So far the bike has performed really well but it will interesting to see how well it does at 4500 meters. Hopefully it is not called the Himalayan for nothing.

Bon viaje to all

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:53 am

I hope you are well and enjoying life. Do you have any plans for the summer?

We are presently in Bolivia in a city called Sucre. It is the administrive capital of Bolivia. It is a World Heritage Site because the center of the city is so well preserved. This is the first new country we have been to in South America since we fled covid in 2022. It is very poor; I think it is the poorest country in S. A. Life on the alto Plano must be very hard and you see very few young people. They all head to the towns and cities as soon as they can. I don’t know that life there is any easier. The street economy is where many make their ‘‘living’’. Jugglers at traffic lights, families selling single sweets, car windshield cleaners, kids as young as 4 or 5 out trying to work the streets to help the family eat. It can be hard to deal with but you try to give as much as you can. Even a few cents can help.

That said, it is a beautiful country with everything from snow-capped mountains to the Amazon jungle and the biggest salt flats in the world. Because it is so poor the government subsidises fuel here and there are 2 prices local and gringo. The gringo price is about double the local price which is fair enough. The problem is, there is paperwork to be done at the gas station which some don’t want to do, so they won’t sell foreign vehicles gas. It is a big inconvenience as it can take a few stops to find a willing seller. We are having two 5 liter tanks fitted to increase our range to about 650k because of this. Still you can always find it in the end. Our time here will be dictated by how long we can take the gas situation. We have the return journey to catch up on anything we missed.

The little Himalayan is working out great. So far we have 7000k on the clock and it has done all we have asked of it. It has got us over a 5000m pass, up switchbacks and so far now we have stayed upright on all the dirt roads we have had to negotiate, it’s the bike not my limited off road skill. That’s 2 up and with 90 cubic liters of stuff on board. I have fallen in love with it so much that Yvonne keeps reminding me that she will not do the importation paperwork for another bike into Portugal. Let’s be honest I won’t either no matter how much I lie to myself. So we will probably end up selling it in Columbia as we planned.

Here is a link to Yvonnes latest blog https://fyoconnor.wixsite.com/nofixedab ... -of-rescue

Next stop is the salt flats which we are really looking forward to.

Have fun and stay safe out there.