The big trip

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
WEGUNTER
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: The big trip

Post by WEGUNTER » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:03 pm

go to myural.com for Bill Glasser's site and then go to LeMoto.com for Van's web page. Bill Glasser's site is for older bikes but most of the info still applies

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by Lokiboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Fran wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:02 pm
33000k doesn't seem a lot on a clutch. Lokiboy do you speak from experience? I am not hard on the clutch I have always had stick shifts, 18 wheeler etc never had clutch problems. Is this a Ural thing?
Fran,

I had one set lasting 40,000kms and another only 25,000 kms. I too am not particularly hard on my clutch. I’ve had the teeth go out long before the pads. Remove the tranny. If the teeth on the clutch pads are still square, then you can probably leave them a bit longer. Start looking like Dracula teeth your time is short.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
80,000 km and counting

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go the ounce of prevention route. Only 2 more weeks of normal living and it is back on the road. I hope nobody was too badly affected by Michael. Take care and drive safe.

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am

Wow, have 104KM on my clutch. works fine and I am not particularly kind to my rig. Ride the poo out if her. There is something amiss with all 'y'all going through clutches at 30K or so! My initial thought would be user error, but these are Urals and like WEGUNTER said, with Urals, everything is a crap shoot. Make sure there is a wee bit of slack on the cable at the very least to prevent that... A lot of folks here are, shall we say, rougher on equipment than others. Lokiboy, yes, I am afraid you ARE particularly hard on clutches only getting 25K and 40K on clutches! I am impressed, that takes work! Keep on riding Fran and if it ain't broke, please, don't fix it, will just cause more headaches and keep on riding!
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 am

BigJames wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am
Wow, have 104KM on my clutch. works fine and I am not particularly kind to my rig. Ride the poo out if her. There is something amiss with all 'y'all going through clutches at 30K or so! My initial thought would be user error, but these are Urals and like WEGUNTER said, with Urals, everything is a crap shoot. Make sure there is a wee bit of slack on the cable at the very least to prevent that... A lot of folks here are, shall we say, rougher on equipment than others. Lokiboy, yes, I am afraid you ARE particularly hard on clutches only getting 25K and 40K on clutches! I am impressed, that takes work! Keep on riding Fran and if it ain't broke, please, don't fix it, will just cause more headaches and keep on riding!
+1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fran where your at and going not a bad idea to have spare parts just in case, but the aint broke don't fix is a really good rule to fallow IMO.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:57 pm

hotflash44 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 am
BigJames wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am
+1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fran where your at and going not a bad idea to have spare parts just in case, but the aint broke don't fix is a really good rule to fallow IMO.
Just to be clear, oh yeah, just because you don't need it now, doesn't mean you don't need to carry stuff around! Spares are good. Fixing stuff not broke yet can be bad (trust me, I speak from experience), not having a part can be worse (sigh, again from experience). I do have a spare clutch at the house and even brake shoes (don't you will probably never, ever need them - if all disk, well, never mind) and carry smaller spares at all times. Brake pads for instance, like the set I had to use this weekend... anything "Ural" consumable, like u-joints, inner tubes, brake pads, do-nut, clutch discs (if seriously long trip, otherwise, big stuff says home. Just a phone call and a drop shipment away.), fuses (ceramic and knife blade, my Urals have both, yours may be different) and cables (clutch and accelerator) are in an ammo can bolted to my Retro's hack..

Any idea how many of us are jealous of you, in the nicest way possible of course! :foilhead: Keep those ride reports coming, I will go back to being a voyeur now...
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
51 HD Servicar

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Again thanks for the advice and interest. I have been thinking over the last few days and have moved from change it to leave it alone. I have screwed up so many things trying to make them just a little better. Also as the dealership is brand new I not sure I want them learning on Pferdinand. We will still go by there as I need tires and other things as well as the clutch parts. I was also thinking (if I keep this up I will use up both my iq's prematurely) that when I have to do the clutch to do the doughnut as well. Any thoughts, class? 1st of November is moving day, time has just flown along I can't believe we are here 3 months. Yvonne has just told me we bought the bike 2 years ago today. Time really does speed up as you get older. We have to research Panama and Columbia visas now as we need to plan when we will get to Columbia as friends want to meet us there. I can't believe that we are planning for summer next year. You can run but not hide, is not just a cliche.
Thanks again for all the help and advice it really does help especially in those moments of doubt.

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:34 pm

ALWAYS have a spare donut! They can fail when you least expect or need it to, or not... If it is ok, leave it be, if pulling everything else anyway, might as well change it and toss the old and still good one in the spare parts space! 104K on my donut too..yes, I have a spare. Lordy, Retro is gonna disintegrate if she finds out I said nice things about her...
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA)
51 HD Servicar

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:05 pm

It has been a long time since I put finger to keyboard. I sure it is not long enough for some of you but you’ll just have to grin and bear it.
We spent 3 months in Merida, a city we had visited in early 2001. There have been some changes since then. From what I understand the population has at least doubled and it is one of the fastest growing cities in Mexico. The Spanish founded it in 1542 but I’m sure there was a Mayan city there before then. But it’s the winners who write the history. It has a very multicultural background, Mayan, Spanish, Brits, French and Lebanese are just some in the mix. Today there is a large and growing expat population. 18 years ago in 3 weeks we met one expat and now the Centro barrio is full of them. Judging from the houses for sale and being restored a lot more are expected.

It was a very wealthy area in the 18th century as it was the main source of sisal and in the days of sailing ships a lot of that was needed. We had planned on doing the tourist thing but temps as high as 45c put paid to that. A cool day in August and September is 40c, not temps I enjoy. Apart from a walk in the cool of the early morning it was hard to do anything requiring energy or being outside. We did try to go to 2 museums but both were closed. I took that as sign that ignorant and uncultured was the state for me to continue in. Also every afternoon between 4 and 5 we got torrential rain, thunder and lightning so the humidity was high as well.

“Why did you stay?” I hear you ask. We lucked into a great house in the centro area, a recently restored traditional style place with a small pool. That turned out to by a life saver as it had a shade cover and consequently was cool all day. When things got too warm a quick dip to cool off did wonders. We really needed some R n R after 18 months of craziness preparing for this trip and then a year on the road (we celebrated that anniversary on September 5th). It was great to cook the foods we like, wake up in the same bed for a while and generally be a “normal person” for a few months. Some may dispute I was ever a “normal person” but I tried the last few months. Being in the same place for a while, allowed us to get lots of loose ends tied up. It is nice to have a clean slate and start to organize the next phase. A new international phone plan (a plan, rather than just a ‘plan’), goodbye and good riddance to AT&T. The bike is all checked and hope fully in good nick for Central America. Annual medical check, teeth cleaned, prescription sunglasses replaced and more. I also started the planning for the Darien gap. It might not sound like much but it takes time especially with the language barrier.

We did do some tourist stuff we went to Chichen Itza with the ”Bad Monkeys” a local bike club. We had been given a contact for their President. One night they all came to visit including the 3 month old who rode between her Mum and Dad. You are never too young to start. At one stage she got a little upset so off for a spin around the block and problem sorted. They gave us a set of the club colors and made us honorary members.

We had a great visit to the ruins and when we were leaving the afternoon rains started 2 hours early. As we were sheltering the loudest clap of thunder I ever heard rattled the building. It was so close that the lightning and thunder were simultaneous. Boy did that scare the $#&* out of everyone. The storm was so intense that it could only last a short while and then we were on our way. We stopped for a local Mayan dish at a roadside eatery for lunch. El Pib is cornmeal, chicken and beans wrapped in banana leaves and cooked in hot embers, named after the hole in the ground ‘oven’ I believe. It was delicious and very filling. For about $6 we both waddled back to the bike and continued on home.

The only other ruins we went to were in a little village we had been to back on our first visit to Merida. At that time we were guided around the ruins by a bunch of local kids while another bunch were the security detail for the car. The village also has a working sisal factory dating back to 1915. The sisal is grown locally and then cut and crushed and the threads extracted. It is then dried on racks and spun into string or rope. All the machinery was original and looked lethally dangerous. After our guides had shown us everything we bought them sodas. I had them all line up outside the little shop and come in 1 by 1. After a few minutes I looked outside and noticed the line was getting longer. Word must have spread that the Gringos were buying Cokes for everyone and every kid in the village showed up. Finally everyone was satisfied. It was a great experience and that’s why we decided to re visit. Nothing had changed except this time no kids as it was school time. What a great walk down memory lane.

The last week in the house just flew by and all too soon it was time to pack-up and go. The pack was tough even though we left stuff behind it was hard to get it all on board in an orderly fashion. A combination of lunch stuff for a few days and me forgetting the packing plan gave me plenty of headaches. Eventually everything was on board, the whistle blew, all visitors disembarked and the great liner pulled slowly away from the curb. Next stop Campeche. Unfortunately the 2 people we met there before were unavailable. It was the Day of the Dead holiday and a weekend to boot. Still it is a lovely city, walled to keep out pirates and really well preserved. We had a very pleasant two days there before we headed to Palenque almost 400k away. I changed some things around and solved the trunk problems. Just like a tight load in the truck you have to fill every hole and get all the jigsaw pieces in the right places.

We had a good run down to Palenque apart from a little detour, thanks Google, but it was nice little 2 lane road and only for 20k’s. It was a bit strange coming into Chiapas as they have a full scale customs post, maybe because we are close now to Guatemala. We were asked for all the paperwork including passports. After I had just got to the passports at the bottom of the trunk the guy goes its ok. A good thing I remembered how to repack or we would still be there surrounded by all our worldly goods. 20k to town and then tomorrow back to history, culture and touristy things again. Hope we remember how to do it.

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:54 am

Great write Fran, saw all the words and thought do i really want to do this at 5am on a beautiful Las Vegas morning ,but once i started i couldn't stop. Couldn't help thinking about the so called walking caravan thats walking up to the US border and you going south.what a contrast. is your better half going to put some pictures on the blog? :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Fran
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Fran » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Just discovered a bunch of cracks in the sidecar wheel. Another new rim is needed. This one only lasted 11 months anyone else have this problem on their rig? Mine is a 16 gear up. Any ideas about the cause? If I remember correctly Gene in Holopaw said they got a bad batch of rims but why only the chair wheel? This is going to cause a least a weeks delay and I am hoping it will be a warranty issue. Then I need to find someone to lace it. Fun days ahead and the weather has turned cold and wet. It never rains but it etc. no pun intended.

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am

Fran wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 pm
Just discovered a bunch of cracks in the sidecar wheel. Another new rim is needed. This one only lasted 11 months anyone else have this problem on their rig? Mine is a 16 gear up. Any ideas about the cause? If I remember correctly Gene in Holopaw said they got a bad batch of rims but why only the chair wheel? This is going to cause a least a weeks delay and I am hoping it will be a warranty issue. Then I need to find someone to lace it. Fun days ahead and the weather has turned cold and wet. It never rains but it etc. no pun intended.
sorry to hear about the rims, my GU is exactly like yours, but i haven't had cracks. could be a bad batch or just the workout your giving your rig. Ural is the only motorcycle that seems to have this issue,the old steel rims lasted for ever it seems. not any help from me, just best wishes and smooth riding. :cheers:

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:11 am

Quite a few of topics on here about cracks. Didn't they change how the rims are made recently, again?

I would think type of use might be a factor. Mine's a '16 but not seen signs of cracks yet. But then I don't do offroad type stuff. Mind you our tarmac roads are getting pretty bad lately. :o
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta