Charlotte, NC to Barber Vintage Festival on Ural CT

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Charlotte, NC to Barber Vintage Festival on Ural CT

Post by Abaxter593 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:53 pm

I’ve wanted to attend the Barber Vintage Festval for years, but keep putting it off. Two weeks or so ago, I decided this is the year. The only problem I didn’t want to take any of my cars/trucks, and what I did want to take has been broken for almost a year. . .

My Ural CT

Almost a year ago, someone hit me. Low speed impact, which bent both fork legs, front swingarm, and an exhaust pipe. Prior to the accident, I had nothing but issues with the bike. Within a few months of being new it needed, Final drive, rear wheel, fuel tank, oil seal,2 driveshafts, turn signals have never worked, and 6-7 rubber donuts which were being installed improperly at my dealer. The accident was the nail in the coffin, and kinda made me forget about the bike. It still needed repairs done under warranty, and every few weeks/ month I would call/email the dealer to see the status on the parts needed. That went nowhere, so I didn’t even bother spending money to repair the front end parts from the accident.

Upon deciding to attend this years festival, it was time to try and get this thing back on the road. I reached out to Ural directly, and was lucky enough to reach someone who has been nothing but helpful. I ordered all the front end parts and the exhaust pipe to repair the damage from the accident. There’s one Ural dealer in my whole state, and considering they haven’t been able to get it running properly since new under warranty. There was no way I was spending money with them to repair the front end. I found a local independent shop, with stellar reviews to do the work. They cleared out their whole day, and had it back together the same day the parts arrived. I still had the looming issue of the donut/coupler eating itself apart.

Again, this has been replaced 6-7 times under warranty in 6,000 miles. The picture above had less than 1,000 KM! Ural directly overnighted the part to the independent shop who did my front end, and covered the labor! Icing on the cake, they decided to add this shop to their authorized dealers list! I cannot tell you how amazing this is!

Took the bike home to change all of the fluids, and do a valve check. Along with new plugs, air filter, and a new battery. It only has 10,000 KM currently, but I’ve been changing the fluids every 1,000 or so miles due to all the metal shavings on the magnets. Normal in Ural world, but freaks me out. The valves would always be out of spec within only 1,000 or so miles too. This fluid change, there was very minimal shavings and only one valve needed adjusted! Things are finally coming around for this machine!

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Charlotte, NC to Barber Vintage Festival on Ural CT

Post by Abaxter593 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:54 pm

It’s running great right now, and the event is this coming weekend. Shockingly everything was able to get repaired in a very short amount of time. This will be the furthest I’ve ever taken the Ural, and really hope it can make this trek. If you’ve ever ridden one of these, you will understand that many hours/miles on that tractor seat with no windscreen, wrestling the rig constantly is a chore. It’s going to be a workout for myself and the bike. It has a top speed of 70 mph, which you really don’t want to be at for long. I will be taking a ton of breaks, to let the airhead cool down. Not to mention it only has a range of 90 miles or so with the smallish tank, and subpar fuel economy.

All 3 tires are in decent shape, I’ve replaced the pusher once or twice already. I’m not convinced that tire will make the round trip, but I don’t want to replace is prematurely. Thinking about having it replaced in Atlanta if it’s wearing at an alarming rate.

Excited and nervous for this adventure, but either way. It’s going to be an adventure!

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:54 pm

Heading out tomorrow. Decided to drop the Dino gtx that was in it, for VR1. Should be able to hold up to the heat a little better.

Realized I didn’t have a phone mount for the bike, and ordered a metal one on Amazon.

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 pm

The event wristband was scheduled to be delivered yesterday, but USPS dropped the ball. Which meant no early start today.

I was able to pick it up at 11AM, and stopped at my bank to withdraw some cash. Both ATM we’re down outside, and inside the system was down.

Today is off to an interesting late start already. Left my house 30 mins ago, and just pulled off to get gas.

The trip starts now!

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Well, The Ural actually made it! Just arrived at my Airbnb an hour ago.

It took me around 9 hours of all highway riding to get here. The Ural’s top speed is only 70 Mph, and you really don’t want to sustain that kinda speed for long. It’s not built for it. I took a bunch of breaks to let it cool down, and check over the bike.

Shortly before getting to Atlanta, my Speedo died. Which also meant my trip and odometer no longer work. My low fuel light has never worked since I purchased it new, so I’ve just resorted to using the trip. That made the rest of the trip a little more interesting, as these aren’t known for stellar fuel economy!

Other than sitting in over an hour of brutal Atlanta traffic, a massive stone fell off a dump truck and shattered into various pieces, one hitting my leg. Amazed it’s only a small bump! I’ll take it!

Almost every time I stopped to let the bike rest, a fellow motorcyclist would start chatting with me. I always forgot how kind other motorcyclists are.

Riding this thing was a major workout, and I’m just glad it made it here! When it’s actually working, it spends all of its time in the mountains of Asheville, where it’s broken so many times on me doing low speed riding on fire roads. People say to never do extended highway trips with these, yet mine ran great. This Russian machine is backwards.

Now, hopefully I can actually wake up for tomorrow’s events

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by VWK75S » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:24 am

:bow: Trial by fire on an Ural :loco:
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 140,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

davek
Comrade
Comrade

Post by davek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Sounds like you've been through the wringer with/on the Ural. Glad your perseverance paid off. Good luck on the trip home.

I'd like to ride to Barber some day, but that would be quite an ordeal making a roundtrip from the Pacific Northwest.
dkollen
Brookings, OR

Current rides:
2017 Gear-up
w/ off-road package, Givi windshield,
and black, ceramic-coated high-rise exhaust
1972 Suzuki GT550 (being restored)

Previous rides
2005 Goldwing, 2000 Kawasaki W-650
200x BMW R1200C, 2002 BMW K1200
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, 1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1974 Kawasaki KZ750, 1973 Honda CL450
1972 Suzuki GT550 (not the same one as above)
(2) 1972 Suzuki TS250,
1971 Yamaha RT 360, 196x Honda 50 "pasture rider"

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:02 pm

davek wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:54 pm
I'd like to ride to Barber some day, but that would be quite an ordeal making a roundtrip from the Pacific Northwest.
I plan to retire in two to four years and Barber is on my bucket list...
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

davek
Comrade
Comrade

Post by davek » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:10 pm

sagerat wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:02 pm
I plan to retire in two to four years and Barber is on my bucket list...
Maybe we can get a pack of Urals to make the trip. That and a chase vehicle with spare parts :)
dkollen
Brookings, OR

Current rides:
2017 Gear-up
w/ off-road package, Givi windshield,
and black, ceramic-coated high-rise exhaust
1972 Suzuki GT550 (being restored)

Previous rides
2005 Goldwing, 2000 Kawasaki W-650
200x BMW R1200C, 2002 BMW K1200
2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, 1974 Kawasaki KZ400
1974 Kawasaki KZ750, 1973 Honda CL450
1972 Suzuki GT550 (not the same one as above)
(2) 1972 Suzuki TS250,
1971 Yamaha RT 360, 196x Honda 50 "pasture rider"

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Well the Ural made it there and back! It took 9 hours each way. I only went 60-65 max, and took a ton of breaks to let the rig cool and go over everything. Brought a digit thermometer too, and it stayed well within reason the whole time. Roughly 1,000 miles round trip with the commuting I did while there. Burned half a quart in total.

The Speedo stopped working halfway through on the way down, along with the odometer and trip. My low fuel light has never worked, so I kept track of fuel with my gps . . .

The rubber cone on the driveshaft wore itself into two from rubbing the tire. This has happened a few times before. Stock k28, with a close eye on tire pressures. Super close clearance.

Steering damper is puking fluid now.

I brought the bike into the dealer today to finally have my gas tank replaced, and the oil seal that’s on the push rod tube. They found a lot of wear on the push rods, and are going to rip the other head off to check them. Spent all day there in the area, thinking I would be riding it back home today. Ural leaves me stranded again, ha ha. I get it running for two weeks or so, and something always seems to happen.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 pm

At least it got you there and back safely. Barber is on my bucket list too. Just happens to happen during a very busy time at work annually.

That's weird about the wear on the pushrods and you are lucky you went to the dealer for something else anyway.
Rest of the crap seems to be the usual low Quality Control stuff that should not be coming up at this point. What year is your bike?
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1991 Honda XR250L, 1969 BMW r60/2 US model

Abaxter593
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Abaxter593 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 pm

stagewex wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 pm
At least it got you there and back safely. Barber is on my bucket list too. Just happens to happen during a very busy time at work annually.

That's weird about the wear on the pushrods and you are lucky you went to the dealer for something else anyway.
Rest of the crap seems to be the usual low Quality Control stuff that should not be coming up at this point. What year is your bike?

The festival was amazing if you’re into motorbikes. The museum is absolutely one of a kind. Well worth the trip down.

It’s a 2015. I bought it new in 2016 as leftover. It’s had a lot of issues, and just when I think it’s going to get better things keep letting go. I’ve stuck with it for this long, but what’s the breaking point? Haha

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:36 pm

You're probably past it (the breaking point) now. Ha.
Still, she took you 1000 miles in a short time. Rig has good bones.
The fancy electronic stuff is just bailing on you.
Get that '18 damper while you are at the dealer, folks have been saying it's been a long time coming. Better yet, just buy Sean's and be done with it.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1991 Honda XR250L, 1969 BMW r60/2 US model

Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Emoore » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 am

I feel your pain. I own a 2017 CT and its been a nightmare. The engine was replace a month ago and that was only the tip of the iceberg.
Im glad it got you there and back. I was thinking it was just my 17, but I see a lot of 17 owners having problems...I hope they get you right.
Safe travels.
Ernest
2003 Patrol (Medusa)
2012 Ural T Olive (Roulette)
2017 Ural CT ( Grey Hex)
Yamaha FZ07 ( My need for speed )

Wake Forest, NC

John Wayne - Life's Hard. It's Even Harder When You're Stupid.