Bless his heart ride

Where have you been riding? Tell us all about your trip. Prove it with pictures! If ya didn't take pictures, it didn't happen...
Forum rules
This is the place for you to post reports about your rides. Remember the mantra: "If you don't post pictures, it didn't happen".
2016sahara
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Bless his heart ride

Post by 2016sahara » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:49 am

Day 6:Yesterday was a down day for maintaince. I stopped in Spearfish Outdoor Motorsports to make a service appointment. Troy, the Service Manager, rearranged a few things and got me in first thing in the morning. It was raining all day so a good day to rest. The bike got a new pusher at about 3900k. Still had some useful thread but resources and logistics are getting scarce for the next couple of days. All fluids were changed, loose valves adjusted, splines greased and blinker bulb replaced. The best news is I got rear and side car brakes
again. The rear brake pedal could be depressed with no effect. The mechanic, Chris, also found the sidecar linkage wasn't connected (missing bolt). No wonder coming down the mountain in the Black Hills was more exciting than it should have been the day before.

Many thanks to the folks at Outdoor motorsports. I absolutely recommend them if you need great service and they are just nice people as well.
2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 am

George Washington - yup Image :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

RPG
Comrade
Comrade

Post by RPG » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am

Tires - check, fluids - check, brakes - check . . . Maintenance day keeps trip running smoothly. Good luck and enjoy the ride. . .
2012 Ural Yamal LE
Math behind side car lift on right turn: F=(W/g)(V*V)/r

2016sahara

Post by 2016sahara » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Great day for a ride. Left Spearfish and headed up to BelleFourche. Clear skies and 51 degrees. Hung a left and headed for the Wyoming border. The vistas began to get bigger; more sky, more distant horizens. You know you're in the West when you see this openness. Plenty of pronghorn antelope grazing next to the cows. In no time at all I entered Montana. No the vistas become immense. Hard to describe but you feel really small out hear.

One of the highlights of the day was going through both Souix and Crow Indian reservations. I saw young men with nothing to do, no purpose, no way to test themselves to promote growth. No opportunity for shelf actaulization. Only a bunch of Meth Kills Signs. I felt guilty even though I personally did them no harm. Traveling this way gives me unexpected opportunities to better understand today by understanding history.

Stopped in to see where Custer made his last stand. Walking the battlefield with a map is the way to understand this event.

I headed north from Billings and was enjoying the ride through big country. Weather was great until 12 miles outside of Lewiston. Big angry clouds appeared. Thunder, lightening, strong wind and hail forced me to call it quits after 621 kilometers. I wanted to go longer since it was the Solstice today but mother nature was being a mutha! Bike is running fine but the check engine light came on as I pulled into the motel. Hopefully it's just moisture scrambling the ECM. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

2016sahara

Re: RE: Re: Bless his heart ride

Post by 2016sahara » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 pm

2016sahara wrote:Great day for a ride. Left Spearfish and headed up to BelleFourche. Clear skies and 51 degrees. Hung a left and headed for the Wyoming border. The vistas began to get bigger; more sky, more distant horizens. You know you're in the West when you see this openness. Plenty of pronghorn antelope grazing next to the cows. In no time at all I entered Montana. No the vistas become immense. Hard to describe but you feel really small out hear.

One of the highlights of the day was going through both Souix and Crow Indian reservations. I saw young men with nothing to do, no purpose, no way to test themselves to promote growth. No opportunity for shelf actaulization. Only a bunch of Meth Kills Signs. I felt guilty even though I personally did them no harm. Traveling this way gives me unexpected opportunities to better understand today by understanding history.

Stopped in to see where Custer made his last stand. Walking the battlefield with a map is the way to understand this event.

I headed north from Billings and was enjoying the ride through big country. Weather was great until 12 miles outside of Lewiston. Big angry clouds appeared. Thunder, lightening, strong wind and hail forced me to call it quits after 621 kilometers. I wanted to go longer since it was the Solstice today but mother nature was being a mutha! Bike is running fine but the check engine light came on as I pulled into the motel. Hopefully it's just moisture scrambling the ECM. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Monument to Custers last standImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

2016sahara

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bless his heart ride

Post by 2016sahara » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:12 pm

2016sahara wrote:
2016sahara wrote:Great day for a ride. Left Spearfish and headed up to BelleFourche. Clear skies and 51 degrees. Hung a left and headed for the Wyoming border. The vistas began to get bigger; more sky, more distant horizens. You know you're in the West when you see this openness. Plenty of pronghorn antelope grazing next to the cows. In no time at all I entered Montana. No the vistas become immense. Hard to describe but you feel really small out hear.

Angry Montana cloudsImage

2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

2016sahara

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bless his heart ride

Post by 2016sahara » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 pm

2016sahara wrote:
2016sahara wrote:

Angry Montana cloudsImage

Hail from Mutha Nature...Image

2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

2016sahara

Post by 2016sahara » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Sorry for the double posts. Haven't mastered this posting social media stuff yet. Trying to do it all on a "smart phone".....yeah right.
2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 am

US 12 through Lolo Pass (Missoula, MT-Lewiston, ID) is a great motorcycling road.

If you’re going to Lewiston, the Spiral Highway is worth a spin; original route of US 95.

Really enjoying your trip.
2004 Ural Tourist

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Saving pennies for a fuel-injected Ural Gear Up

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 am

Should have come to Grope, would have given you the solar charger and tools I won...could have gotten some invaluable advice from long distance sidecar folks too. Enjoy the trip, take your time!
BigJames
15 Ural M70
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

2016sahara

Post by 2016sahara » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Big James, I wanted to do both Grope and Crap but had some other obligations. Hope I'll make them next year. Always open to advice and I'll probably be able to add some of my own after this trip.

So today's highlight was a 100 mile jaunt through the really remote roads north of Lewiston MT. Highways 80 and 81 are narrow two lane roads that run through the middle of nowhere cow country. I fact one little calf was in the middle of the road an decided to run along side me . I know they ain't real smart and I was ready when he bolted in front of me. Then he ran face first into a fence and somehow managed to get to the other side. I need a gopro for my next trip. It was hilarious. Beautiful scenery and only a handful of cars in either direction for a couple hours. And some of the towns have no gas available so you do a lot of math in your head and cross your fingers. The biggest unknown variable was the wind and the effect on mpg. It was blowing strong all day.

I stopped in Fort Benton which is an old western flavored spot near the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Park. It is a quaint place after seeing nothing for miles around. If you like to make hay bales or rolls then this is the place for you. Massive fields of green hay waiting to be cut.

I turned south to Great Falls. It's not small and quaint. So I departed quickly and headed north. Many hills and headwinds forced the downshifting to get up the hill. Not too bad really because of the few vehicles on the road.

The wind was pretty tough all day. I called it quits after 532 kilometers which put me in Lethbridge, CANADA!

Bike is doing ok. Check engine light solved its problem but now the low fuel light stays on. This light and the useless parking brake problem don't bother me; I don't use either. I'm sure I'll be back in Georgia before the warranty expires. I'm pretty pleased to this point with the bike. Not comfortable, not fast but still a blast to ride.
2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:57 am

"now the low fuel light stays on."

Mine did that, possibly triggered by a couple of days of heavy rain. You can unplug it to turn it off.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

2016sahara

Post by 2016sahara » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:31 pm

Well, I planned to get in a big day riding but once again mutha nature intercede. Started at 6:00am in Lethbridge and about 20 minutes later the skies opened up. Visibility and the temperature dropped. I needed to get north of Calgary to a ural dealer for another spare tire. Its Saturday and they are closed Sunday and Monday. It was a white knuckle ride through Calgary with the deplorable weather combined with traffic and no idea where i was going. I found them (Destination Cycles in Airdrie) and the staff was very hospitable. So, now I have three spares attached to the rig. Maybe a little overkill but this is the last ural depot for the next 3000k(one way).

Against their advice, I jump on highway 2 again and headed towards Edmonton. I never made it. Conditions somehow got worse and now safety became my primary concern. I pulled into Red Deer and got a room at the newish Hampton inn. Very nice place for $80us per night.

Tomorrow the plan is the same; north and west towards Dawson Creek. Praying for some sunshine.
2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

2016sahara

Post by 2016sahara » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:05 pm

Day 10. 5000k from home. 725k today. Made up for a w@$#ed out low mileage day yesterday. What a difference a day makes. Absolutely beautiful riding day. Sunday morning with no traffic and blue skies. Headed north from Red Deer towards Edmonton then hung a left on to highway 16. After a few miles I turned north on highway 43. All was great until I pulled into Gunn (wide spot in the middle of the road, gas station and nothing else). Moments after I stopped at the pump I heard tires squealing and I saw a pick up truck pull in front of 4 harleys coming east. The lead bike struck the pickup behind the passenger rear wheel. The biker went flying high side, hit the pavement and rolled to his feet. Miraculously not injured. He unleashed a rant on the female driver and I think the only thing that saved her from a severe beating was a four year old boy was in the truck. The biker was a big boy and extremely fit. Tensions were running very high. Damn. How the heck do you not see 4 harleys on a wide open,no traffic, clear weather day? Scary lesson about intersections.

The rest of the day was great. There is a transition from farm land to forest. Miles and miles of thick green trees. And many warning signs for moose. I saw one little one in the tree line but she bolted before I got to take a pick.

A pleasant surprise was the town of Grand Prairie. It's on the border with British Columbia. The sign says 68,000 people and it was bustling with energy companies, light manufacturing and forestry support businesses. It's a booming place with lots of new hotels and places to eat.

I stopped for the night in Dawson Creek. Famously acknowledged "mile 0" of the Alaskan Highway. This place too is in the middle of a construction boom. No problem getting a room at the new Holiday Inn. A bit pricey at about $135us/night.

Rear brake is back to being no good. I get minimal grab even with full depression. Probably wasn't bled with nipple up a couple days ago. Just goes to show that if you want it done right you have to have Van, Chad Darrel, Barry, Mr. Cob, Mr Waz or a dozen other Soviet Steed bloggers do it. Looking forward to learning that trick when I get home in a couple weeks.
2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG

2016sahara

Re: RE: Re: Bless his heart ride

Post by 2016sahara » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:29 pm

[quote="2016sahara"]Day 10. 5000k from home. 725k today. Made up for a w@$#ed out low mileage day yesterday. What a difference a day makes.

ImageImageImage

2016 GU "FogHat"
North Georgia
2001 FLHSTC
2003 FXDWG