Buyer Beware When Ordering From Ural Timur!

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
737AV8OR
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Buyer Beware When Ordering From Ural Timur!

Post by 737AV8OR » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Beware when ordering from Ural Timur. I had heard positive reviews which is why ordered from him in the first place but my experience was not in any way satisfactory.

I ordered a rear tractor seat and specifically asked if the seat was new or used. I was told the seat was new old stock from Ural. If what I received was considered "new" in Russia, I shudder to think what a used part would look like! The seat was an ancient, rusty and thoroughly used part.

I gave Timur the benefit of the doubt that possibly there was a communication breakdown since English is obviously a second language. I asked for a refund and said I would gladly send the seat back if he would pay the shipping cost. I was told I would get a refund but still don't have it after multiple contacts over the last several weeks.

I waited two months for the part to arrive and when it finally got here, it was a rusty piece of junk. Multiple messages asking for a refund have fallen on deaf ears.

Caveat Emptor!
IMG_2834.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Buyer Beware When Ordering From Ural Timur!

Post by gobium » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Hit and miss with that seller

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TheWildOne » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:32 pm

Aw, that'll buff right out . . .
(SOMEbody had to say it)

Rich Maund

Post by Rich Maund » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 pm

I'd be more worried about the rubber being rotted than of surface rust. I'd bead blast it and prime and paint. Better than new if you use Rustoleum! But rotted rubber is shot for good.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

737AV8OR

Post by 737AV8OR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:21 am

Rich Maund wrote:I'd be more worried about the rubber being rotted than of surface rust. I'd bead blast it and prime and paint. Better than new if you use Rustoleum! But rotted rubber is shot for good.
I'm not contending it can't be saved, I'm contending it was misrepresented as new! I didn't want to refurbish it, I wanted a new part that I could install without hours of extra work. Disassembling, sand blasting, priming, painting and reassembling wasn't what I signed on for when I was told I would receive a new part. It wasn't cheap enough to require all the extra work involved to make it a useable part. A refund was not an out of line request in my opinion.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

Rich Maund

Post by Rich Maund » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:37 pm

I agree with you. He lied to make a buck.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

holopaw

Post by holopaw » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 am

Just asking why not buy from Ural dealer was price that much better ?

737AV8OR

Post by 737AV8OR » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:24 pm

holopaw wrote:Just asking why not buy from Ural dealer was price that much better ?
I learned my lesson on this one. I have ordered most of my parts from you on my most recent Ural as well as my former 1999 Bavarian Classic. I paid $135 delivered for what I was told was a new part. US dealers were all North of $200 with shipping. I went for the bargain and got burned! Lesson learned....I deal with only reputable dealers from here on out.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

holopaw

Post by holopaw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:48 pm

If you are still looking for the rear tractor seat I have a 2015 take off (trade for bench ) It has a faded Cordura cover on it 100.00 plus shipping need zip code to figure shipping . New 159.99 . Gene from Holopaw

737AV8OR

Post by 737AV8OR » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:06 am

Just as a follow up. I was able to extract a refund from Ural Timur through PayPal. I filed a dispute and after several weeks Timur offered me a 4500 Ruble refund ($78). I originally paid $135 which included shipping and after the refund I ended up paying a much more reasonable $57. It was by no means a perfect transaction but it ended up being tolerable after the refund. After disassembly, wire brushing, stripping, sanding, priming, painting and reassembly, the seat is finally on the bike and looks good. As I said, not a perfect transaction by any stretch of the imagination but I finally got it installed and am happy with the extra seating capacity.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 am

737AV8OR, i was just thinking, not trying to defend the seller but,when he said new from soviet stock that might be true by Russian standards.the seller should try to be more clear on condition. Just remembered someone saying that a little rust to some one in California is about the size of a dime, and a little rust to someone in Minnesota is a hole large enough for a German Shepard to jump through! :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Lee Pape

Post by Lee Pape » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:27 am

hotflash44 wrote:737AV8OR, i was just thinking, not trying to defend the seller but,when he said new from soviet stock that might be true by Russian standards.the seller should try to be more clear on condition. Just remembered someone saying that a little rust to some one in California is about the size of a dime, and a little rust to someone in Minnesota is a hole large enough for a German Shepard to jump through! :cheers:
I have a friend that has a house right on the beach just outside of Bodega Bay. California. Things there rust away faster then the snow melts in Minnesota.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

737AV8OR

Post by 737AV8OR » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:41 am

hotflash44 wrote:737AV8OR, i was just thinking, not trying to defend the seller but,when he said new from soviet stock that might be true by Russian standards.the seller should try to be more clear on condition. Just remembered someone saying that a little rust to some one in California is about the size of a dime, and a little rust to someone in Minnesota is a hole large enough for a German Shepard to jump through! :cheers:
I gave the seller every chance to make this right because I knew English was a second language. I offered to package it up and return it for a refund. His first response was to say he would send me a "new" one but that never happened. Multiple contacts were made through Facebook all resulting in no action from the seller. After 6 weeks of no action I finally took up the matter with PayPal which I assume threatened his potential future transactions which is why he finally offered a partial refund.

My goal is not to ruin this guys business but to inform those here about my transaction and what I received was not as described. We could have worked something out, I feel like I offered multiple reasonable solutions to the situation but those fell on deaf ears. Those considering making purchases from this seller need to know that there may be challenging language barriers and differing concepts about what defects constitute a normal usable part in Russia as opposed to what is expected here in the US. I also informed the seller that I would begin a conversation about my transaction on this forum if we couldn't reach an equitable solution.
2015 Ural Gear Up
1975 Honda CB750K5

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:22 pm

sounds like you did everything as it should have been done, the seller needs to get his act together or feel the wrath of unhappy US customers.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Lee Pape,i lived in California most my life ,but not close to the ocean, only rust i saw was pitting on chrome,hard to believe a car in California could have anything more than surface rust from the salt marine air. :? :wink: